Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

This guy is standing so that he can turn in all directions. I guess he is using some kind of strafing on the gun controller, while his head mount replaces the mouse/camera movement.

How can you do that with wires attached on the VR or while sitting is beyond me
lol I'm not sure either. He did mod it to be like that, but this video is very old - so I'm sure they can work off the ideas here and have a better setup than what he has.

That being said, yea, not sure how those cables don't get tangled up on him

I am a little worried about VR because I havent seen anyone covering a solution about how we move in the virtual world. All game demonstrations I remember were stationary, on rails or in a vehicle. The Move controller need those thumbsticks in order to give the ability of movement. But how can someone balance the VR head mount orientation with the movement coming from the thumbsticks?

I don't think the usual controls (gamepad or KB+M) together with VR are a problem at all, even for first-person experiences.
Imagine you're piloting an actual mecha. You have to move it front/back, strafe left/right, pitch/yaw for the torso, and you can still move your own eyes/head around.

Would that cause you nausea in real life?

I don't think the usual controls (gamepad or KB+M) together with VR are a problem at all, even for first-person experiences.
Imagine you're piloting an actual mecha. You have to move it front/back, strafe left/right, pitch/yaw for the torso, and you can still move your own eyes/head around.

It wouldn't cause nausea in real life as you feel the movement. The absence of the physical sensation in VR coupled with the visual input of moving makes your body think it's poisoned. Cue your barf reflex.

Mech games might not be too bad as the cockpit helps by being a static frame of reference.

Traditional fps's are basically a high tech version of sticking your fingers down your throat.

There is a difference. I am in a vehicle. Its like being in a car. When I turn my head I will look to a different angle of the interior. When my car turns I feel that my car turns its angle irrespectively where I am looking at. My head and car are independent and so what I do with the wheel and what I do with my head doesnt affect each other.
The problem with actually looking only through your eyes in a FPS is the fact that both your mouse and your head simulate your head's perspective. The KB shouldnt be a problem because it mimics strafing and backwards, forwards movement. Imagine your perspective changing in real life based on your hand movement and not just your head. That would have been messed up.

Imagine your perspective changing in real life based on your hand movement and not just your head.

Isn't that what happens with games right now, when you're immersed in a game?
Sure, it'll need some getting used to. Just like playing FPS nowadays leaves some people nauseated (e.g. my wife) and it needs getting used to.

What I think it'll happen is that most people will end up playing with their head still and use the mouse for head movement.

I think you're making a bigger deal of it than it really is. I played 3D games with a 3D head-mounted-display from Sony and didn't get nauseated at all.

What you're talking about is using a VR device as a large virtual theatre. That's all well and good but it doesn't scratch the surface for what VR can do for gaming. It may very well be the way we end up playing most legacy games with VR.

I want someone to create C64 emulator in VR... Not just some VR cinema presentation, but the entire experience of handling the real C64 keyboard, tape loader, tuning of the tape head, seeking for the position of the tape, entire procedure of loading the game, watching the rainbow lines on the CRT [or green-only monitor], etc. :)

VR could be a great way to preserve history of such old gaming devices that can not easily be found in the wild today.

Isn't that what happens with games right now, when you're immersed in a game?
Sure, it'll need some getting used to. Just like playing FPS nowadays leaves some people nauseated (e.g. my wife) and it needs getting used to.

What I think it'll happen is that most people will end up playing with their head still and use the mouse for head movement.

I think you're making a bigger deal of it than it really is. I played 3D games with a 3D head-mounted-display from Sony and didn't get nauseated at all.
No it is not the same. You dont have both your head and your hand controlling your virtual head simultaneously. The point of VR is to immerse you by giving you the impression that you are there by tracking your head movements and direction. Where you turn your head you look at another angle of a virtual world
If VR is nothing more than a head mounted TV that tracks nothing, you might just as well opt for a standard head mounted display which is not VR. Such things exist today

An analogy may be a Segway. You lean where you want to go but can turn your head freely. Or even a bicycle for that matter. It's when the disparity is too great that the brain can't cope, like rollercoasters or pilots or sea-sickness, which anyone can get used to but the barrier to adapt could be prohibitive for many to persevere with VR long enough to take to it.

It almost seems as though there should be a programme of content to help ease people into it. VR games should maybe come with a rating, like cheeses have for strength, so VR noobs can stick to level 1 and 2 games before progressing to level 5 full on immersion.

The segway is confined to horizontal movement and it doesnt turn very fast. We also tend to adjust our head when we are turning on a bicycle, car, plane or segway and this can happen because we can instinctively distinguish our head movement from the vehicle movement and because we are given enough time to do so. Perhaps its our brain's ability to act as a gyroscope and the liquid in our ears that help balancing I am not sure. We avoid moving our heads in all directions when a vehicle we are controlling turns. But I am pretty sure we instinctively avoid moving our heads even when we are playing any game where it involves controlling a vehicle. We can distinguish vehicle direction from head direction.

In a FPS the directional stick/mouse have a complete spherical view from any direction we want. A VR and a directional input from mouse/stick do exactly the same job. They both control where our character (us) is looking at from his eyes. This makes adjustment even more confusing. FPS require faster pacing and movement. There is danger on your left. You wanna act fast. Would you check it by turning your head fast or move your mouse fast? Your brain cant decide, distinguish and adjust at a fraction of a second which of the two is doing what. I can see that working better if a FPS is consciously designed to be normal for VR head movement and slow for directional movement coming from a stick or mouse

But I am pretty sure we instinctively avoid moving our heads even when we are playing any game where it involves controlling a vehicle.
Very much untrue in my observation. Typically in a racing game we move our heads to try and see more clearly around corners and over hills. Of course, the camera is fixed front and limits range of motion, but we certainly don't lock the head to an orientation when seemingly in motion.

In a FPS the directional stick/mouse have a complete spherical view from any direction we want. A VR and a directional input from mouse/stick do exactly the same job. They both control where our character (us) is looking at from his eyes.
Any VR game using mouse/stick to control camera facing direction is doing it wrong. The camera should be on the head with zero override. Aiming would then move to where you face. Face left/right above a threshold and turn that way. Stick/mouse would then be used for forwards/backwards motion and strafing.

FPS require faster pacing and movement.
VR FPSes will probably have to be designed around human limits. The ridiculous pace of modern shootings extending into bounce-around arenas would be puke city!

Very much untrue in my observation. Typically in a racing game we move our heads to try and see more clearly around corners and over hills. Of course, the camera is fixed front and limits range of motion, but we certainly don't lock the head to an orientation when seemingly in motion.
But most of the time we are looking towards our car's direction. When we drive in real life we when we turn, our head will look a bit to the side of the car and adjusts to the car's turning. In games we rarely use the right stick to look around. We do some brief checks like in real life right or left.
The good thing about racing games is that we have visual feedback that help us separate head movement/angle from car direction.
Any VR game using mouse/stick to control camera facing direction is doing it wrong. The camera should be on the head with zero override. Aiming would then move to where you face. Face left/right above a threshold and turn that way. Stick/mouse would then be used for forwards/backwards motion and strafing.
Strafing and moving forward/backwards isnt the problem. This is typically done by keyboard on PC and left analog stick on controller. Mouse is never used for strafing and moving backward or forward. The problem comes when you want to turn and move towards another direction. The right analogue stick (console) and mouse (PC) gave the benefit that you could turn tiny or large degrees and move (KB/Left analogue) towards your desired direction with complete control. VR offers complete control were you are looking, but your turned head is physically not aligned with your body direction.
Turning when facing a left/right above a threshold could also be confusing. Whether looking below or above the threshold, unless I missed something, to the player both will look like turning his head. I dont know how the player will be able to distinguish when it is just his virtual head that turned or his whole body.
It is not like the Move where we could separate the cursor's "2D" movement on screen for aiming and turning when the controller was pointed at the edges of an invisible window.
VR FPSes will probably have to be designed around human limits. The ridiculous pace of modern shootings extending into bounce-around arenas would be puke city!
They shouldnt limit the player too much either in order to make the VR accessible. Even when playing real life paintball, you want to be able to move, change directions and look around fast. FPS will always require lots of maneuverability.

Last edited:

I'd personally prefer that they add another dimension to shooter games by breaking aiming from looking by having a control device purely for the function as aiming the weapon as well as fixing the camera to where you look with your head movement. After all, this is how it works in reality. Moving your head to aim a weapon would feel cheap and probably become tiring with how precise the movement would have to be. Unless that's not what you meant by "Aiming would then move to where you face". I guess you might mean that aiming is restricted to the area that you face but independent of the look movement. This would make it more like an light gun game but with complete freedom over the view.

The latter part. Something like a light gun/mouse shooter with the screen being the area where you face. Overall it's a difficult problem to solve, as all the points raised in this thread show. There's no easy fix to match up VR with the expected behaviour in some cases.

There are already a bunch of experiments out there, most of them starting with artificial ways of limiting the scope of movement or the perception of movement. I think that Rigs does a pretty nice job with putting you into a mech to change the scale and speed of movement, and another shooter is experimenting with fighting on another planet with very open environments, scale and gravity, so you perceive movement differently. Rigs actually uses the DS4, where aiming both shooting and movement is done by looking in that direction.

We need feedback from whoever has played the game. They have done it but was it a good experience? Immersing? Would that work with other games?

Belgian Sony site leaked some deplopment info about project morpheus
http://www.gamekult.com/forum/topic...rix-date-de-sortie-nom-definitif-860524n.html

1441505778-wtf.jpg

RealEyes
299€ [unknown what SKU [camera, move?]]
29 January 2016
Preorder Button present

I would rather they call it Morpheus VR

*Puts on tinfoil hat*

I saw this video over on Ted.com

http://www.ted.com/talks/vilayanur_ramachandran_on_your_mind#t-1066895

From about 9:20/25 he talks about phantom pain and how to the brain can learn/unlearn something by visual input.
Now, if the VR experience is immersive/realistic enough, it could mean we could train brains to belive that they did not have arms/legs etc under their control. But what if a side effect is that everybody that spends 3h a day with Morpheaus starts to see their limbs as they are projected in VR or the brain gets used to a thumbstick is whats needed for moving your legs? :D

*Takes tinfoil hat off*

So I do not believe it, but there might be some weird consequences with this that will be interesting to look back at sometime in the future. I assume that it needs to be photo realistic to achieve any such things. Just a weird thought that dropped into my brain, when I saw the video. :)

So at TGS they announced it will be called Playstation VR. This is boring, but not unexpected I guess. :|

Nintendo would have named it something like VRiiuu, ViRus, ViRii....

Back