Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

I don't know about the full/low persistence panel. But from what I see from current phone screen, I never saw anything like the full persistence example showed. I do experienced noticeable enough motion blurring from my old Benq monitor that really annoys me even when just watching movie.
Maybe if I the usage is very close to the eye, it will show blurring, but I don't think it will be as much as the example above.

you play fast action games at ~80FPS on your phone?
also is you phone screen running "full persistence" ie is it "switching off" a pixel almost as soon as it fires?

just because they are using the same tech doesn't mean they are implemented/controlled the same way.

Why do they split the screen in 2?
Why dont they use the full screen, 1080p, displaying images alternately for each eye?

would be cool to have VR cinemas where you would see a 3d representation of the theater, with the movie playing on the screen, and all kind of effects happening in the theater room, like debris of explosions reaching you, destroying the seats, monsters coming out of the screen, etc...

would be cool to have VR cinemas where you would see a 3d representation of the theater, with the movie playing on the screen, and all kind of effects happening in the theater room, like debris of explosions reaching you, destroying the seats, monsters coming out of the screen, etc...

I think AR glasses are more suitable for this ;)

Almost seems as if Killzone's rendering setup was made for this ...

Still feel that PC will be the best place for this, but we'll see.
Everything's better on PC! But this should be compatible anyhow. Maybe it won't get the motion tracking support, although cross-platform games could integrate that into the PC pretty seamlessly I'd imagine.

Why do they split the screen in 2?
Why dont they use the full screen, 1080p, displaying images alternately for each eye?
I think it'd be capped to 30fps flicker. I don't think these small screens can refresh at 120Hz. Plus active stereoscopic displays have other artefacts. Independent screens is definitely better from an immersion POV. Plus PS4 isn't powerful enough to drive 2 x 1080p anyhow!

EG article mentions, "much of the processing is done by a separate box that sits between the headset and the PS4 with an HDMI in and out."

Hmmm. Cost increased, experience improved?

edit (yes, I'm reading the article now):

So immersed, in fact, that it's easy to forget that other people around you may be watching and, thanks to the separate box that feeds a non-distorted view of what you're seeing onto the television screen, witnessing your actions
The box is either warping for the headset, or unwarping for the TV. I hope the latter!

Yoshida has mentined that DriveClub will not have VR mode. Demo that was made by Evolution worked fine at low speeds, but at high speeds Yoshida experienced problems that made him stop playing [maybe arcade nature of the game, LCD bluring].

He said that the game was delayed so that team can craft a better product.

EG article mentions, "much of the processing is done by a separate box that sits between the headset and the PS4 with an HDMI in and out."

Hmmm. Cost increased, experience improved?

edit (yes, I'm reading the article now):

The box is either warping for the headset, or unwarping for the TV. I hope the latter!
Another comparison, this time from Gamespot.

It was a nice implementation which added a good level of depth to the scene - especially considering the very low performance impact. But its certainly not proper 3d with a completely different camera for each eye. While it's passable for 3d gaming on a screen I don't think it'll cut it for VR which needs to feel like a fully 3D world rather than just a 2D scene with added depth.
It was a good initial contact but it left me wanting more. In your case you tasted the honey without the sting of the bee. I understand why you aren't looking back.

That's all my experience with 3D on my TV for now. I had Avatar, I was so hyped, bought it for the X360 and it featured quite a few 3D options. But I didn't know better and I missed a key point, I didn't have a 3D TV then. :rolleyes:

I sold the game because of the disappointment. Not the programmers' fault though. Also a decent game if you ask me.

Interesting comparisons. I'm relieved to hear that one of the bigger concerns I had over Morpheus isn't present in DK2, i.e. a gap in the visor where you can see the real world - although I'm sure Sony will fix that for retail.

The FOV also concerns me with Morpheus as a few reports have mentioned it being a tiny bit narrow in so far as it feels like you're looking at the world through helmet visor. DF says the FOV is a little wider on DK2 but other reports rate them about the same.

Interesting comparisons. I'm relieved to hear that one of the bigger concerns I had over Morpheus isn't present in DK2, i.e. a gap in the visor where you can see the real world - although I'm sure Sony will fix that for retail.
Duck tape?

The FOV also concerns me with Morpheus as a few reports have mentioned it being a tiny bit narrow in so far as it feels like you're looking at the world through helmet visor. DF says the FOV is a little wider on DK2 but other reports rate them about the same.[/QUOTE]DK2 = 100 degrees. Should be very little difference. Both will be a little helmety, but the Morpheus a bit moreso.

Thinking about it, isn't 90º way too narrow for VR?
Since we have a total horizontal FOV of about 200º with both eyes, isn't 90º too narrow for a truly immersive experience?

I use 90º when I'm playing with a 24" monitor that is about 40cm away from my eyes. I imagine that the same FOV for a monitor that is put at 1/10th of that distance could feel too restrictive.

Oculus likes to promote its FOV with diagonal numbers.

We dont know if Sony is promoting horizontal or diagonal FOV.

Thinking about it, isn't 90º way too narrow for VR?
No, it just provides a restrictive experience. It's still VR if it's a headtracking stereoscopic display. And much more than 90/100 degrees is nigh impossible/prohibitively expensive. If we wait until 160+ degrees is possible in a consumer level device, VR will be another age in coming.

It's rare for the first (second, third even in this case) iteration of a new tech to hit the ideals. Video compressed the image. TVs launched with miniscule screens. Audio had a very narrow frequency range compared to a human listener directly hearing the source; heck, early audio wasn't even stereo! We've got to start somewhere with suitable compromises to make a product that can actually get things rolling.

And much more than 90/100 degrees is nigh impossible/prohibitively expensive. If we wait until 160+ degrees is possible in a consumer level device, VR will be another age in coming.

There is InfinitEye. It has 210 degrees fov. Need curve screen to fix some of its visual problem. I was hoping Sony to adapt this solution instead of copying Rift, since Sony do have access to curve screen as well as custom lenses.

No, it just provides a restrictive experience. It's still VR if it's a headtracking stereoscopic display. And much more than 90/100 degrees is nigh impossible/prohibitively expensive. If we wait until 160+ degrees is possible in a consumer level device, VR will be another age in coming.

Could curved displays help in providing a wider fov?
Or is the problem entirely different?

Back