Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by jayco, Mar 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

I'm speculating on a structuring things from the outset to target the latencies and frame rates that seem to be the minimum for a good VR experience.
    If the games don't have a mode with that sort of frame rate target, they may not be structured to give it without significant compromise. This is going on very little knowledge about the upcoming Infamous and Dark Souls 2, however.
    Dark Souls 2 looks like it may have made serious compromises just to get to where it is, so I dunno.

2. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Given how long Sony have seemingly be working on this, I am certain that many of Worldwide Studios took engineering decisions to make supporting the VR headset easier down the road. Having said that, I also think actual retrospective support will depend on the launch window of the VR headset.

I.e. if this thing doesn't get released until next year then supporting it in Infamous Second Son may not have been a priority, but for Sony's Worldwide Studios launching games anywhere near the headsets launch window, I think support will be much more important.

3. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

As far as I'm aware the initial impetus for this came out of one of the US studios.
    Though I will note they still haven't announced it as a product, probably waiting to gauge reaction after GDC.

4. Scott_Arm

Legend

The only games that will be good candidates for VR will be 1080p with 60fps, no? You need that solid 60Hz and 960x1080p per eye.

5. upnorthsox

Veteran

I'm wondering if this is now the time and application to reconsider frameless rendering

6. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

It's worth mentioning at this point that Valve seemed to think a 95hz refresh was necessary for presence. Not sure if that means 95fps as well or purely just 95hz refresh with repeated frames. Clearly Sony thinks differently though.

Can't wait to see some proper comparisons with DK2. Clearly though both products are likely to improve before retail launch so where they'll ultimately end up is anyone's guess.

7. DSoup

DSoup meh

Interesting. Hope it wasn't the cancelled Sony Santa Monica Project :eek:

Very true, although I assume they're reasonably confident in it's capabilities and viability as a gaming interface if they're happy for the general public to know of its existence.

As for Second Son, or any other third person shooter, I can't imagine playing games like this using a VR headset where I think the advantages most favour first person views. If your view/the camera can stray from your gaming avatar, that sounds both disconcerting and disconnected to me - unless it'll just a more control to pan left/right for the camera.

8. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

why we have the rift already for the pc. The new dev kit is $350 with a 1080p screen and a camera

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/19/oculus-rift-development-kit-2/

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I've seen a ton of mods people have done to get the screen door on the original rift gone and nothing comes close to simply upping the resolution.

That's why i'm hoping the rift goes to a 1440p screen

9. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

To be precise, Abrash said that 95Hz is his current estimate and that lower number could also work. It was a part of his video presentation, you can find it on YT. He also said that with increase of resolution, strobing needs to become more frequent.

edit - http://instagram.com/p/lvAmnRCd3o/#

Btw, intial impressions from people is that there is a slight blurring, tracking is good, camera can track both the head, body and hands, ergonomics are perfect, usability is easy. Sony says that final version of Morpheus will not come out in 2014. :(

#89 DieH@rd, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  10. ToTTenTranz

Well Carmack answered my tweet and claims it's because of the two viewpoints and the performance throughput requirements:

[​IMG]

11. Scott_Arm

Legend

Right now this thing requires both HDMI and USB connections. I'm curious how that will work in a living room type environment. You'd need an HDMI receiver with more than 1 output (does that exist?) or an HDMI switch, I guess, so you could switch between your tv or the headset. Do HDMI outputs on tvs generally add lag? The USB connection would have to plug in to the console as well, because it requires power over USB. Maybe things will change. Seems like it's ideally used at a desk, like in a pc setup. This is one of the hurdles for VR that I wasn't sure how MS and Sony would solve.

12. -tkf-

Legend

You will need a VR set that supports/comes with a the split output, and with HDMI lip sync it shouldn't be a problem with syncing your sound to the VR set, at least i don't think so. USB cable to power the headset shouldn't be a problem.

Unless there is a solid solution for a Wireless version i would rather battle cable and get a way better experience.

13. DSoup

DSoup meh

From the Verge article:

14. Scott_Arm

Legend

Compressed video? I'd brought that up in a VR thread before and people suggested that artifacts would make it a poor choice. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

15. DJ12

Veteran

Cool name, but if they don't get Laurence Fishburne in on the marketing campaign they deserve to fail.

With one dodgy eye that barely works I guess this won't be for me, but it's nice to see progress being made in this arena.

16. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

17. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Oh. It still looks stupid to wear.

18. DSoup

DSoup meh

You're not supposed to wear it to the pub!

19. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

With great results I might add, both in Crysis 2 and Crysis 1. Maybe not as good as proper 3D but very convincing overall. That's how I used my brand new 3D glasses for the first time.

Oh my... You're a lucky guy.

Looks slicker than other VR systems out there --designs aren't final for them anyways, I suppose.

It adds another level of interest to a rather standard console, and it is going to be interesting how consoles fare compared to the PC when it comes to 3D VR. Very cool times ahead.

20. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

this thing with japanese hentai games will sell millions of ps4 in japan.

i hope alien isolation will support it.