Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by jayco, Mar 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

I think they'll be targeting next gen for the 2020 expansion, whether it's planets or not. They didn't support PSVR with the current game as base PS4 isn't powerful enough. I hope that they will on PS5. More power in general makes it easier to scale titles to VR

2. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Plantes + Ps5 version with VR would be lovely. (Although Elite on big TV and surround sound is amazing.)

3. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  4. chris1515

Veteran Regular

BRiT likes this.
  5. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

That'd do it. There is probably something to be salvaged from whatever they were able to accomplish and some of the developers will probably be offered positions with other internal studios.

6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

So, that becomes the 3rd Sony Studio they've shut down in the UK. I've seen speculation that this was purely a financial decision due to lower revenue than Sony expected for Q3 from PS. Is the cost of developing games so high in the UK compared to most other places that a larger than expected drop in software revenue due to many high profile titles being delayed from the Holiday seasons would lead to Sony feeling like they need to cut a studio in order to streamline their finances?

Also, I'm guessing the reason that no game was released since the founding of the company is that they were tasked with making a full feature and full length VR title? Something that is still seriously lacking in VR. If so, that's a bit of a show of no-confidence WRT to Sony developed feature length VR titles when Sony, IMO, needs to release a full feature VR game if they really do expect to push VR next gen.

Regards,
    SB

PSman1700 likes this.
  7. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

PSVR is more and more like Vita
    Super strong 1st wave of games from sony, then.... the 2nd wave comes but only with very few games... now nothing.

PSman1700 likes this.
  8. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

Yeah. Still love coming back to Rush of Blood, Rigs and RE7. Also loving Wipeout of course. But that game being in VR is hardly evidence of Sony's VR support. It's more of a lucky coincidence that such an old title could be repurposed for VR without too much effort.

9. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Well, until PSVR2 ? Then they will be very different things. :lol2:

10. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

What is this super strong 1st wave of games on the Vita you speak of?
    Vita's release window library was mediocre at best. We got Uncharted and ...?

2 years after release during 2013 the Vita was already on life support everywhere but Japan where it got a steady stream of JRPGs and visual novels.
    PSVR OTOH 4 years after release is getting Iron Man as an exclusive, and it's the most popular VR platform in the world.

11. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

12. Picao84

Veteran Regular

ToTTenTranz and Shifty Geezer like this.
  13. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

The Oculus isn't the only VR headset out there. It also is a difference in price, not only age.

14. Picao84

Veteran Regular

Yes, but it is the only self contained. For PC you still need a gaming PC which is more expensive than a PS4. PSVR is still the cheaper desktop level VR platform. Plus a Valve Index costs way more, it is luxury VR, not for the masses. I'm not sure what you are trying to argue here at all. It's like arguing that an RTX2060 is not the best product despite selling better. Doh! You can also look at the Switch selling more than XBox if you want. Best product? No, but it sells better, making your assessment on PSVR pretty much pointless.

#4794 Picao84, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  15. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Exactly, it is what i mean. Honda's sell more then Lamborghini's do, when comparing PSVR to Index. There are other alternatives which cost more then PSVR but you will also get a better VR experience. For a first timer, PSVR is a good entry product.

VR could have a huge uplift when the new half life VR releases, more people want the ultimate vr experience.

16. Picao84

Veteran Regular

So in short, your observation was completely pointless? Totten never said it was the best, just the most popular, which is true. I ask again, what was your point other than playing down PSVR? What did you really contribute to the thread?

17. Picao84

Veteran Regular

I'm sorry but this answer is obviously read like "there are cheaper" alternatives, otherwise what was your point? It sounds like you had to backtrack after when you noticed you put your feet where your mouth is.

18. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

19. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

No-one with any sense would have assumed otherwise.

5 of the best, not the five best. In one person's opinion. Weighing in their own personal, subjective bias. Like all these lists, it depends how much you want to spend.

I'm with Picao84 on this - what exactly are you trying to point out? The stated fact is PSVR is the most popular VR solution in the world (on account of it hitting the sweet spot between cost and functionality). It's not in any way implied it's the best solution in terms of quality.

20. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Oh the PSVR is reeeaaally far away from the best solution.
    1MPx per eye at this point is really terrible for most games. After using my Lenovo Explorer with 2x the pixel density I just find it really difficult to go back to PSVR.

It's still the most popular VR solution in the market though.

PSman1700 likes this.