Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

I don't think so. RE7 in VR is exactly the same game. So is Skyrim. And so are just about any and all racing games. All of them benefit from the headset tremendously, and unlike the games using the wobbly and often inadequate Move wands, they work without a hitch too. These games also don't need to be VR exclusive, which I think is key to getting the platfrom off the ground without taking too much of hit financially. That's why it's so disappointing when Sony of all publsihers releases its own marquee racing title with nothing but a pathetic little VR demo mode.

None of those games are first party games. I was specifically talking about Sony first party games like Uncharted and The Last Of Us, which are way more limited in playability than RE7 and Skyrim VR. While RE7 being an horror game, which by definition is very much dependent on the environment, making it it very suitable for VR and Skyrim is brilliantly ported to VR, allowing you to play in a completely new way (e.g. waving your arms, use a bow, instead of pressing buttons), I cannot see Uncharted and The Last Of Us (I don't really consider TLOU an horror game) benefiting from VR as much (apart from shooting with the moves).

Regarding having games with VR and non-VR mode, it is not a trivial matter, especially while you still have to support the OG PS4 that is quite limited in power. For me, the best path is the Skyrim path: take well known and loved games and port them to PSVR. Most of the costs are already covered by the original release and there is a user base that is definitely going to buy it. I see threads every day wishing for GTA V, Bioshock, Borderlands, etc. to be ported to VR.

Concerning GT Sport, that is the perfect example of how Sony cant just force their developers to do what they want. I can see Naughty Dog being very reluctant to VR to be honest if that means they have to dial down graphics quality (which seems to really be what they like to do.. honestly their games are more graphics showcases than fun, IMO). As rumours go the team behind GT Sport did not want to VR at all, so the end result was a compromise. There is also speculation that the main reason why GT Sport is so disappointing is the fact that the OG PS4 would not be able to sustain enough performance to have a proper race with more cars on the track, although the PS4 Pro would. Sony would have taken the decision to do it like this to not fragment the market and/or enrage users that have the OG PS4.

What ? With the mix of tradionnal controls and fast teleporting it plays wonderfully ! it's as fast paced as classic doom but you're inside the game, i loved it

I have it although I have not played yet (waiting on Bravo Team AIM bundle since I already have Farpoint), but you can find plenty of threads on internet about users complaining about the user controls being inadequate. Especially the AIM controller where it seems to be mostly useless since the weapon follows you as you look around instead of being completely independent.

Funny how a game that does not look as good as Doom VFR and is done by an indie team ("Raw Data") plays much better than the former AAA game. Just goes to show people here that you dont need big AAA first party games for VR to be successful. In fact I prefer for most AAA developers to not touch VR, to be honest, because AAA nowdays is just synonymous with stagnation, not innovation.

it's meant to play with a DS4 i guess, that's how i play and it controls very well.
Farpoint was designed around the AIM controller, gameplay is really slow paced in comparison.

I see threads every day wishing for GTA V, Bioshock, Borderlands, etc. to be ported to VR.
Does cel shaded work okay in VR? The outlining effect seems like it'd be problematic.

...but you can find plenty of threads on internet about users complaining about the user controls being inadequate.
Can I just say that if you're going to use 'people on the internet' as evidence of people wanting games, and 'people on the internet' as evidence that controls in a game suck, you should also use the same 'people on the internet' if they are saying there's a lack of games. Anyone can cherry pick what other internet sources they want, because the internet contains every opinion ever especially for subjective opinions, so it makes for lousy supporting evidence. eg.

...and...

PlayStation Aim — the best way to play Doom VFR

Realistic use of 'the internet' as evidence should focus on facts and stats, or at the very least references to undeniably one-sided conversations where there's a very clear consensus. Otherwise you're just better off saying the opinions are your personal opinions with the implication that some people in the world share your opinion.

Last edited:
We will have to agree to disagree then. But I would be open to wager about whether or not PSVR will be growing in strength and whether PSVR will be front and center for the next generation PlayStation.

Do you have a source for this though?

A recent report shows a very different picture:

https://vrodo.de/bericht-oculus-rift-schlaegt-htc-vive-playstation-vr-weiter-vorne/

I know you are saying that Rift sells better in US, not the whole world, but given the size of the US market and the figures in that report, it is really hard to believe. The only way it would make sense is if the Rift would only be sold in the US and nowhere else.

My personal prediction is that by the end of 2018 there will be 4.5 to 5 Million PSVR headsets in homes.

The key part that I should perhaps have highlighted is that is it selling better "now". That report doesn't break down month by month numbers. Sony PSVR sales for 2017 happened mostly during the first part of the year and then a brief spike around Nov. If that data is correct then PSVR has sold ~0.4 million world wide in Dec. (Sony had it at 2.0 million total as of the end of Nov.). PSVR's main market is Japan where it does pretty well. I'm pretty sure that PSVR sales in Japan is equal to or better than US + rest of world.

Oculus Rift was basically dead until it had it's price cut in Oct. Since then it has been lighting up sales in the US compared to other VR headsets. The exception being Nov. where BF/CM deals allowed PSVR to briefly challenge Rift. Most of those 0.3 million units (again assuming that data is correct) was sold in Nov. and Dec. Oculus Rift's main market is the US. It does less well in Europe and is 3rd in Japan behind both PSVR and HTC Vive. That price cut may eventually allow it to overtake Vive in japan, but it's still not going to come close to PSVR there. And it'll take a while for it to catch up to Vive in japan.

By contrast HTC Vive's sales for 2017 were more evenly spread throughout the year and it does better outside of the US than the Rift. It also eventually got a price cut, but it didn't affect sales to nearly the same degree as it did for the Rift, likely because it's still 200 USD (33%) more than the Rift. Most of it's sales came in the first 9-10 months of 2017 unlike Rift where most of it was in the last 2-3 months.

That's up to now. And while Rift isn't challenging PSVR world wide, it is a bit worrying that it's doing a bit better in the US in the past 2-3 months. Still, as long as PSVR can succeed WW, then it can still push VR forward. Hence, I'm really interested to see when/if Sony announces the next million unit milestone. Does it sell the 3rd million in 9 months like the second million? Or does it sell the 3rd million in a shorter timeframe? IE - are sales finally picking up or has it plateaued or worse, started to decline further?

Hopefully sales pick up.

Regards,
SB

Whether a console or peripheral, gaming hardware needs the software to drive adoption to critical mass, and then, if it's a good piece of design, it'll sustain itself. Sales of products have a life-cycle that sees increasing sales per year until the midpoint, and then sales start to reduce until the product dies. Typical bell curve. We had great early sales of PSVR to 2 million, but seemingly it's gone quiet. Unless it can have a second growth spurt, pretty unprecedented, it's already over its peak and is on the downward slope. The only thing that could stop that realistically is Sony. Potentially some third party could rush in and spend a couple billion on games to become the saviour of VR, but that's not really going to happen. And with a sense of, "uh...is that it? Is it over?" Even if there's plenty on the horizon that people could enjoy, a lack of consumer confidence will bury any product. PSVR needs to be seen as vibrant and relevant and a must-have, and not just something its fans rave over but which the rest of the world doesn't care about. Dreamcast, again.

People had better hope that PSVR isn't following a typical bell curve as currently the top of the curve is around Dec. 2016/January 2017. Nov. 2017 provided a spike but still didn't bring holiday 2017 above holiday 2016 levels. Unless something changes (and I hope it does) 2nd year PSVR sales are likely to be lower than first year PSVR sales.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I suppose another option for a PSVR revival (if it is fizzling out) is a significant price drop. If it ever ended up at a 'worth a nose' price like $150, there'd probably be a rush of new blood.

But its the latter direction that Sony is taking and I agree with them. If all VR does is add sense of scale and depth then it is no more than a gimmick, the same way 3D TVs were a gimmick.

The latter direction is worth pursuing, but not to the exclusion of every other direction. Innovation in games is interesting, engaging, and bleeds through into other, more traditional games. But you need the traditional too, in order to stop innovation getting out of hand and becoming chaotic.

There are short films out there, and there are 12 hour trilogies, and plenty of bizarre audiovisual innovations across the spectrum. But, generally speaking, the masses know that going to the cinema will grant them a 90-180 minute experience, with dialogue, a score, and all filmed in glorious technicolour.

People like comfort, and the familiar is comfortable, so I don't think it's wise to only pursue the innovative, because it will alienate people without the disability that everyone on gaming forums possesses.

I suppose another option for a PSVR revival (if it is fizzling out) is a significant price drop. If it ever ended up at a 'worth a nose' price like $150, there'd probably be a rush of new blood.

I think that's probably on the cards. What approach do you think would be best?

Personally, I'd like to see the following:

--2018: Focus on accessories--

- Release an HDMI 2.1 breakout box, which is compatible with the current headsets, but also forwards compatible with a 4K headset, and built to accommodate a wireless adapter. Maybe they could use it to offload some processing, and have the camera plug into it rather than the console?

- Release a wireless adapter with forwards compatibility for a 4K headset. They've slightly screwed themselves with the V2 of PSVR, as it no longer has a junction box a few feet down the cable from the headset, but it would still free people up and make VR compatible with a more diverse number of living/bed/gaming rooms.

- Release an updated Move controller with analogue sticks, and stress that the updated controller will be THE motion controller for the PS5.

- Release a higher resolution camera with a wider FOV. Again, it opens up the headset to be used in a more diverse number of rooms. Maybe a higher framerate (definitely the wrong term, sorry!) too? Only if that would improve tracking accuracy.

- Release a "Wireless Motion Bundle" with all of the above, promising a better experience with the existing console+headset, and compatibility with the next generation of both.

I'll get to 2019 later: train's pulled up and it's time for work :(

Went to my sister & brother-in-law's for a Super Bowl party & tried my first VR experience with PSVR & the X-Wing VR Mission. Pretty cool overall but the first thing I noticed was the blurriness due to lower resolution. After awhile I got acclimated to it though. Pretty fun & very immersive. But not so good I will buy one. Though I will be checking it out again this weekend again since they did buy Batman on my suggestion. That was one thing I dislike about the content though. Most of the content I enjoy is exclusive to PSVR. I think I will wait for 2nd gen & hopefully Microsoft will haveva console solution. Until then I can keep visiting my sister & brother-in-law. LOL

Tommy McClain

Went to my sister & brother-in-law's for a Super Bowl party & tried my first VR experience with PSVR & the X-Wing VR Mission. Pretty cool overall but the first thing I noticed was the blurriness due to lower resolution. After awhile I got acclimated to it though. Pretty fun & very immersive. But not so good I will buy one. Though I will be checking it out again this weekend again since they did buy Batman on my suggestion. That was one thing I dislike about the content though. Most of the content I enjoy is exclusive to PSVR. I think I will wait for 2nd gen & hopefully Microsoft will haveva console solution. Until then I can keep visiting my sister & brother-in-law. LOL

Tommy McClain

Well you tried a demo that uses the ds4 and not the moves. IMHO, apart from RE7, I really dislike VR games with DS4. It's way less immersive. The experience really gets to the next level when you use the moves, it puts you much more inside the game than just pushing buttons on a DS4.

Batman VR however, despite using the moves, is very short and limited with no real locomotion, so I'm not sure it will improve your opinion of PSVR.

Yeah didn't use the Moves. He did get them when he got Batman though. Always been a bit meh about Move & Wii remote in general. Maybe they will work better in VR. I will post again after trying that out.

Tommy McClain

Is there any possibility of Sony releasing a PSVR Pro model, specifically tailored for the PS4 Pro. Something with higher resolution screens (i.e., 1200p or maybe 1440p) and possibly more slimming.

Back