Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

The simplicity of Microsoft MR headset is a nice start.

Anyway, Sony should add proper PSVR tag or category to the dashboard. It's getting pain the ass to keep rearranging the VR games into a folder

You still play non-VR games? :cool:
Joking of course, but as for me the only non-VR games I'm playing are FFXIV because it is an MMO and FFXII The Zodiac Age because its my favourite FF ever.

Last edited:
It would be amazing for next gen VR uptake especially. Having to buy a new piece of hardware and an extra pair of expensive peripherals is one hell of a big ask. You can still release your dual 4k screen PSVR 2.0 system for the folks ready and willing.

Eeermm.. don't they label it everywhere that it's for children over 12?

Thats likely to be Sony covering their backs than anything else giving the lack of studies about it. No one really knows. Granted that If I would be a parent I would probably not let young kids use it. However not because of that Sony guideline.

True. Hopefully it will. Even if not though, the above patent may indicate some other future developments for the Move 2.

1) It appears to have lost its orb and had it replaced with the sort of tracking lights that we see on PSVR.
2) It looks to contain an analogue stick!!!
3) It tracks fingers, much like Valve's knuckle controllers.

Whether or not the motorised tech makes it in to the Move 2, we've seen precedent elsewhere for the above 3 points, so I think they're pretty likely.

What is the motorised part for though? From a brief look through reddit, someone said it can expand/contract in order to provide feedback, someone else said it's a means of input.

A bit of both maybe? It could become more/less squishy... and register the squish?

So what would be your reaction if the next-gen PS5 Console is BC with the current PSVR Library and Hardware but offers new hardware of its own? Do you immediately upgrade or does that depend on the advances made in the PSVR5 Hardware and Software?

Likewise, what is your reaction if the PS5 is NOT BC with current PSVR Hardware and Software?

I think the best thing that Sony can do with PSVR is to treat it as a display, and decouple it from the cadence of consoles. Although the current headset could do with some improvements (things like eye tracking, a front camera so you can press a button and see the real world, a higher resolution screen, less drift, probably plenty of other stuff) it's capable of the most vital things: tracking a user's gaze, and displaying the corresponding image.

Further headsets needn't change the paradigm so much that they render the last headset obsolete, and I can't think of any paradigm changes that wouldn't be better served by another peripheral (e.g. new camera, new controller, new breakout box etc.)

So I think cross-generation headset compatibility is likely, it's definitely preferable. I certainly wouldn't be happy if I were to buy a PS5, but the only way I could play VR games is by buying a new headset too.

I think Sony would be best served by releasing the PS5 in winter of 2019, then PSVR2 around E3 of 2020, so that both devices are in Black Friday deals of that year. The console comes first and provides a wonderfully supersampled image for existing PSVR owners, which gets them hungry for the advances that will come with PSVR2. Sony talk about the headset at E3 and announce it, like Apple, as being "available now!"

But then again, I would've said the same about the PS4Pro, PS4 Slim, and PSVR, but they released them all within, what, a month of each other? WTF?

As for the prospect of no backwards compatibility, both headset and software: I think that would be the most stupid mistake Sony could make. They would hand MS an opportunity to seize the generational reset, and they would do so at the first time in years that MS has been in fighting form.

I'd probably still get a PS5 for its exclusives, but I think I'd probably get an X1X/XBoxTwo for anything multiplatform. On the VR front: I'd stick to the PS4 and PSVR for a while, and shop around to see if the XBoxTwo could support a better headset than the PS5 could with PSVR2.

Based on what reference sales ? The extraordinary VR sales we got 10 years ago in the XYZ parallel universe ?

Based on their first 3 months of sales (relatively impressive when compared to Rift and Vive) of 1 million units. It then took them 9 months + aggressive BF sales to sell another 1 million units. Prior to the BF sales for PSVR and the release of Skyrim VR, sales of PSVR had slowed to a small trickle.

In other words, the hardware peripheral carried no momentum. The fall off in sales was greater than the fall off traditionally associated with the slow spring and summer months. However, it was put into stark contrast when sales weren't ramping up with the start of the back to school and holiday shopping months. Also in contrast to PC where there's been an uptick in sales due to price reductions in HMDs (Oculus Rift + Touch controllers for 399 USD) now has PC HMDs potentially outselling PSVR in the US. That's a reversal from PSVR's first 3 months where they obliterated PC HMDs.

Imagine if, after PS4 launched, the 9 months after the first 3 months were only able to generate as much sales as the first 3 months of launch. How would the product be viewed. Apply that to any console. Wii-U, PS1, NES, Coleco Vision, Atari 2600, Sega Genesis, etc. All of those would be similar cases of a new product having to establish itself with no existing software base. Or compare to hardware peripherals, Move, Kinect, fighting stick controllers, etc.

I'm interested to see when (if) Sony releases their next PSVR sales milestone. Especially now that improved HMDs are being announced for release on PC.

Hopefully, with the release of more VR titles (hopefully more full game experiences), it'll take less than 9 months for PSVR to sell another 1 million units. And that's not me being facetious. I'm honestly hoping that momentum picks up for it, even if I still personally don't think VR (not just PSVR, but all VR) is going to be able to hit mass market acceptance without huge advances in technology and huge reductions in price.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
As per usual when it comes everything that isn't a numbered Playstation device, Sony isn't exactly pro-active when it comes to pushing hardware. Loads of Unity-based indie shovelware for exorbitant asking prices is only gonna do you so much good. Seems like none of the big Sony inhouse teams ever laid a finger on PSVR, and a tiny sizzle reel was all the E3 2017 exposure the hardware has gotten since release. Exact same thing happened with the Vita and with PS move.

I loved PSV initially. I still play some of the launch titles like Rush of Blood, Rez, Eve, Rigs, Tumble VR, Thumper and Driveclub. Right away there was a lot of really cool stuff to choose from. Most of it was reasonably priced as well. RE7 notwithstanding, that launch lineup is still the best that's on offer for the system. Games only have become shorter, shallower, more expensive and less optimized since then.

Last edited:
As per usual when it comes to peripherals (or even systems: R.I.P Vita), Sony isn't exactly pro-active when it comes to pushing hardware. Loads of Unity-based indie shovelware for exorbitant asking prices is only gonna do you so much good. Seems like none of the big Sony inhouse teams ever laid a finger on PSVR, and a tiny sizzle reel was all the E3 2017 exposure the hardware has gotten since release. Exact same thing happened with the Vita and with PS move.

I loved PSV initially. I still play some of the launch titles like Rush of Blood, Rez, Eve, Rigs and Driveclub. RE7 notwithstanding, that launch lineup is still the best that's on offer for the system. Games only have become shorter, shallower, more expensive and less optimized since then.

I disagree 100%. Have you missed PSX 2017 by any chance? Non-VR gamers were pissed that VR had so much attention.

- London Studios is working on Blood & Truth.
- Sony paid Bethesda to bring Skyrim VR, which was one of the biggest movers of PSVR hardware in recent times.
- Sony supported Farpoint and the AIM controller.
- Wipeout, one of the staples of PlayStation is getting a free VR upgrade.
- Firewall Zero Hour has generated quite some buzz with good previews form the event.

Honestly, what more can you expect? Its a new media, at least when Vita launched there was a market for it already. VR is still a very very small market. Nevertheless, the PSVR has sold over 2 Million units. That is still not a whole lot compared with traditional gaming, especially with all the gaming media hating on VR. Do you really expect for big studios to start developing heavily for VR? When most of them are more obsessed with safe money by re-hashing the same games over and over again (e.g. FIFA, COD, etc..). It takes a level of risk and even Sony studios are probably no slaves to PlayStation. If they don't want to do VR, they have a right too.

I think you are being overly harsh or the type of games you want to see are not showing up. But don't make your own perspective the global one. I'm still pretty much excited about it and use it everyday! Hell, I still have VR games on my catalogue I have not touched yet because of Skyrim VR. Seriously, what would you do, realistically, to do it better than Sony? Because your post sounds like a random baseless rant based on the status quo of 6 months ago?

EDIT - Games have become shorter, shallower? Have you been living under a rock or something?

Skyrim VR - Potentially hundreds of hours of content.
Project Solus - 15 to 20 hours of content.
Rec Room - Multiplayer game with a constant upstream of new content, both developer and user generated.
Raw Data - Mileage varies but there are people who have been playing it for 15 to 20 hours (the campaign is much shorter but the 4 different styles gives it good re-playability).
Dirt Rally VR - Potential dozens of hours if that is your thing.

Regarding the prices, the average price I have paid for PSVR games so far was £7 - £10, with the exception being Skyrim at £44 and it was well worth it. I have bought games for £3 or so that I played for 2-3 hours. That is not expensive at all.

Mate, I really don't think you are going fully in what PSVR has to offer. Either that or you are of an elitist mind that only wants AAA games. You know what? F*ck AAA games, they have turned out boring, predictable. They are just a shiny new toy with barely any depth to it. I take a PSVR game anyway over a HZD, even if it is an indie game. At least they are fun (e.g. Headmaster) and not a snooze fest of things we have seen over and over again.

Last edited:
Farpoint was a piece of shit fps by just about any fps standards. Skyrim is ancient. And even though I'm looking forward to Wipeout VR, that is also one old-ass game. At least The Inpatient was something new. Unfortunately it was also pretty damn awful and lasted for 2 hours, costing you 40 bucks in the process. And all of the rest is handed off to the B teams. Is it really too much to ask from Sony to maybe take a bunch of people from each of their massive super teams to work on a VR title in order to drum up a bit of enthusiam? And Sony studios are absolutely slaves to Playstation. If Sony commands them to bark, they'll bark.

Farpoint was a piece of shit fps by just about any fps standards. Skyrim is ancient. And even though I'm looking forward to Wipeout VR, that is also one old-ass game. At least The Inpatient was something new. Unfortunately it was also pretty damn awful and lasted for 2 hours, costing you 40 bucks in the process. And all of the rest is handed off to the B teams. Is it really too much to ask from Sony to maybe take a bunch of people from each of their massive super teams to work on a VR title in order to drum up a bit of enthusiam? And Sony studios are absolutely slaves to Playstation. If Sony commands them to bark, they'll bark.

Yes, like I thought you are only looking for AAA jewels. Unfortunately you are missing on so much from the top of your high horse. Luckily the PSVR community is alive and well and is way more open minded than you. There is plenty of PSVR quality games without them having to come from AAA or well known studios. You are the one missing out by judging games from how they look or how long you can play them.

EDIT - What is the problem of Skyrim being ancient really? Was it in VR before? No. It drove a large amount of sales and that is what matters, to increase the user base. You will not have your shiny AAA games without a user base and re-mastering games for VR is actually a pretty good strategy as long as they are good games.

I really don't get why you are so salty. Are you having a bad day or something?

I'm not only looking for AAA jewels. That's why I mentioned games like Thumper, Tumble and Rush of Blood. All smaller, but highly polished games that were priced accordingly. I simply think it's weird how much Sony relies on others to pick up the slack when it comes their hardware unless it's a stationary box sitting under the tv with a Playstation logo on it. Afterall, these Playstation boxes started at zero marketshare at some point as well. And what games am I missing out on exactly?

I disagree 100%. Have you missed PSX 2017 by any chance? Non-VR gamers were pissed that VR had so much attention.
I think the concern is more general. With all Sony's other toys, they've not backed them with significant investment and they all died. If you compare the amount of money spent on creating games for a £300 console to the amount spent on games for a £300 headset, it's just a drop in the ocean and Sony clearly aren't supporting the platform fully. It's a business choice - do we make money from making software for our tens of millions of console players, or do we spend to grow VR as an investment in the future? They've chosen the former. For those wanting the platform to become a self-sustaining platform attracting the best content, this is worrying. If just left to indies to support, those picking a small niche audience instead of the tens of millions of consoles and PCs, or the hundreds of millions of mobile devices, there'll only ever be fringe content. Great for those who like that, but it's setting PSVR up to become to console gaming what art-house movies are to cinema.

Back