Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

VR has a lot of flaws, and is a bit of a pain to use with all those cables and hardware needed, but the reward is still well worth it. That's why we need a PSVR2 which would address some of these limitations and make it even more wonderful to use.

Could you realistically expect momentum from November to carry through into December, when the former month offered such substantial discounts?

True, it's not selling like hotcakes, but it seems to be doing quite well for an entirely new medium which requires either a PC or a PS4/Pro. PSVR alone has sold 2 million in a year, and approximately 12 million games.

I'm definitely optimistic: I've yet to see someone try VR and be anything but gobsmacked. Contrast that with Kinect, which people enjoyed - albeit mostly for its microphone - or with 3DTV, which plenty of people just flat out disliked, and there's at least the groundswell needed to foster a successful medium.

It needs to get cheaper and wireless - at the very least, the Magic Leap belt style of wireless - before it can really take off IMO. Also, games need to take the GTSport/Bound approach of letting you play in VR as and when you please, without making it a separate game. But it's at least profitable and awe inspiring already, and game design teething problems will be dealt with before you know it.

I think one thing that's making the sales of VR seem unimpressive is the hype that came before their release: every analyst was expecting it to be the next big thing. Largely because they predict everything as being the next big thing.

VR has a lot of flaws, and is a bit of a pain to use with all those cables and hardware needed, but the reward is still well worth it. That's why we need a PSVR2 which would address some of these limitations and make it even more wonderful to use.

This is the number one reason I don't use my PSVR more. I keep the headset and cables in the footstool storage unit and while it's only 5 minutes to connect up to its host and re-calibrate the unit for me, it would be great if the PSVR just remembered the calibration settings depending on the user logged in. :yep2:

This is the number one reason I don't use my PSVR more. I keep the headset and cables in the footstool storage unit and while it's only 5 minutes to connect up to its host and re-calibrate the unit for me, it would be great if the PSVR just remembered the calibration settings depending on the user logged in. :yep2:

In what way do you recalibrate it? Pupil distance?

Yeah, agreed. The way to set PD is quite a faff as well: if you know your PD, you should be able to just enter a number rather than titting around with a blank picture.

I think it needs a calibration option in the quick menu, where you can input the number for your PD, and quickly calibrate the lights on your headset/Move controllers.

Some games also have different scale, needing different PD.

They should also add pre-game PD.

Some games also feels better with wrong PD. For example the mouse puzzler.

Thanks. I can't believe I haven't tried that. What's better in your experience: greater than PD, lesser than PD, or is it just variable?

Is the issue with PD something that could be mitigated by eye tracking tech within a headset?

I've not found any PSVR software which doesn't correctly work with the settings as setup in the PS4 OS. I've not heard of mouse puzzler, though. :nope:

It's good to see some people still manage to maintain optimism for VR and still enjoy it. Sales are sluggish for the medium, however. 1 million in 3 months (Oct. - Feb). Next 1 million in 9 months and only with the help of Black Friday (massive increase in sales at that point due to BF sales of PSVR + Skyrim, compared to prior months). Enough that it actually charted on Amazon again.

Hopefully momentum for it continued into Dec., but if Amazon is anything to go by, probably not. Interestingly though, Oculus Rift continues to chart.

Regards,
SB
Based on what reference sales ? The extraordinary VR sales we got 10 years ago in the XYZ parallel universe ?

Based on what reference sales ? The extraordinary VR sales we got 10 years ago in the XYZ parallel universe ?
One would presume based on sales of consoles (platforms) and peripherals where install base is needed to gain critical mass to create a self-sustaining industry. Obviously price is a massive barrier to entry, but the end result is what it is, in that PSVR isn't selling anything like the numbers EyeToy, Move, and other peripherals and CE devices (including more expensive ones) have.

Thanks. I can't believe I haven't tried that. What's better in your experience: greater than PD, lesser than PD, or is it just variable?

Is the issue with PD something that could be mitigated by eye tracking tech within a headset?

For me It's per game. For example, the rat puzzler feels good with bigger scale. London heist proper scale. Playroom vr smaller scale, especially the platformer.

I've not found any PSVR software which doesn't correctly work with the settings as setup in the PS4 OS. I've not heard of mouse puzzler, though. :nope:

The playroom vr have a bit bigger scale by default. The scale in summer lesson also a bit too big. Ancient amuletor scale also feels wrong.

The rat puzzler is merville. It feels better with bigger scale.

I have the PSVR connected at all times. I am quite proud actually, it’s in a drawer below the PS4 and you can just open the drawer take it out and go. Really helps my 9yo son use it more I think. And yeah it keeps flooring people. It feels only a matter of time before it breaks through to the point where it becomes like a tv, something that everyone will want in the house. It is definitely the highlight for me this generation, although of course so was Move for me last gen (I still really want my table tennis from Sports Champions in VR!) so I suppose I am not a reliable person for this. Or I am really ahead of my time in terms of these things (and in truth, this might well be - I have been right about a lot of things a lot long before they happened, also at work. To the point where I often need to be employed for over a year before slowly people start trusting my judgment at work ;) (though I am getting better at the convincing part fortunately at least at work).

But I suppose it could all just be wishful thinking and confirmation bias ... ;)

So what would be your reaction if the next-gen PS5 Console is BC with the current PSVR Library and Hardware but offers new hardware of its own? Do you immediately upgrade or does that depend on the advances made in the PSVR5 Hardware and Software?

Likewise, what is your reaction if the PS5 is NOT BC with current PSVR Hardware and Software?

i do not care much about BC as long as the new system is a substantial improvement over the previous one.
they could always do some remastered version of successful games.

So what would be your reaction if the next-gen PS5 Console is BC with the current PSVR Library and Hardware but offers new hardware of its own? Do you immediately upgrade or does that depend on the advances made in the PSVR5 Hardware and Software?

Likewise, what is your reaction if the PS5 is NOT BC with current PSVR Hardware and Software?

I'd love to have hardware compatibility myself. A substantially more powerful machine could do the goggles a lot of good despite the low resolution.

Back