Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

do not buy paranormal activity, it might be scary, but the controls are awful ! they should have put a control option like in RE7, with a dual shock.
It totally ruins it for me, could not play more than 5min because of that.

Right, tried a few things in VR but nothing really stood out... Apart from Skyrim VR, for which I spent 4 hours in the queue!! (Sony, if you are reading you have to get your shit together. 80% of people there wanted Skyrim, no one cares about an obscure title or Gran Turismo, so can you please next time have more than 2 booths available?).

Hum, Skyrim was very fun to play although the demo was clearly old and only for testing purposes. Small level, randomly spawned enemies, no objects to pickup etc.. Movement was still teleportation, although I was told locomotion would be available at release. Teleportation is especially weird when going up stairs.. it didn't seem like it was raising enough, to the point I had steps close to what looked like my shoulders xD

Still very fun to swipe the sword around and cast spells. I hope they have a demo at launch thought to try before buying, because no way I'm paying full price if the experience is not quite improved over this short demo. Even if it was fun.

some interesting bits of info there

wold procedurally generated, mathematically real size earth !!! over 5000 cities (not handcrafted of course)
distant background generated using cubemaps (??)
solar system fully represented, and even beyond. main story only four hours long, but lot of replayability, can free roam as you wish between missions. you can dive into the oceans. etc....

So finally tried PSVR on a standard PS4 (London Heist and Farpoint), that was awesome !

Overall it was exactly how I thought it would be. Very very immersive (and quite blurry on base PS4).

I was impressed by the precision of the controls, very responsive. Very low input lag is soooo good. :yes:

Unfortunately the Farpoint demo they had was bugged, at some point I could only move laterally even if it didn't prevent me from beating the boss. :cool:

I tried the London Heist demo then seeing that I had no problem reaching the end of the demo in my first try the guy (making an exception) gave me Farpoint demo to play (with big warnings that it was bugged and unplayable at some points).

Also I am afraid of heights and I suffered from that in the Farpoint demo (and I think the bugged controls didn't improve things), no problem with the London heist demo though.

I wish I could have tried Resident evil but they only had free demos at their public demonstration stand.

Immersive VR and blurry don't seem to go together very well?

Where were you at that they were demoing PSVR on a base PS4? Seems like an odd choice.

Responsiveness and 3D was enough for the immersion (of course it would have being better at a higher res obviously).
Where were you at that they were demoing PSVR on a base PS4? Seems like an odd choice.
Near a crowded beach in a small city (Atlantic coast of France). But it was promoted and I assume financed (maybe only partially) by the city itself. They also had books (recent ones like game of thrones and such) and even a playable (non-VR) PS4 with demos.

I find that the blurriness depends on the game art style. Normally games that go for more realistic graphics end up more blurry because of the amount of detail, which is not suitable for low resolution (small things get blurry). If a game aims for a more cartoonish or less detailed style, there is barely any blurriness, unless there is a large distance view (things get blurry in the distance for the same reason). Games like Fated the Silent Oath and Rush of Blood are not very blurry. On the other hand, the Skyrim Demo I tried was quite blurry, as is Resident Evil 7.

That makes sense, it just seems to me that the more blurry things are the more I have to concentrate on them and the less immersive the entire experience becomes.

The most immersion is when things are completely clear, and even if cartoony, you essentially forget what it real and isn't. Real life isn't blurry for me, so immersion immediately suffers when things get blurry in VR.

This is actually why you should stay at your original prescription if possible. Most eyesights don't actually deteriorate, except for being exposed to too strong prescription glasses. This easily happens when you are tired when you are having your eyes tested for instance.

This is actually why you should stay at your original prescription if possible. Most eyesights don't actually deteriorate, except for being exposed to too strong prescription glasses. This easily happens when you are tired when you are having your eyes tested for instance.

Yup thats my experience too. years ago i would check my eyes every 6-12 months and change the lenses accordingly (it always worsen). then money become problem, no time to do doc appointments, etc and i've been years not changing the lenses and the myopia is still around the same.

yes sometime its worsen (especially when im starring on a computer screen morning till morning again for a few days straight, not enough sleep), but a few days later it will be okay again.

btw i noticed absurd thing with PSVR. On one rare moon, for no reason, i can see the VR world pin-sharp, including the "mesh/moire" effect of PSVR headset (hatsune miku's face and background), and the shitty jaggy edges on some games (superhot). Despite i didnt wear glasses.

already happened a couple of times. It will stay sharp for random amount of time.

Yup. Only had a couple of prescriptions for that reason.
btw i noticed absurd thing with PSVR. On one rare moon, for no reason, i can see the VR world pin-sharp, including the "mesh/moire" effect of PSVR headset (hatsune miku's face and background), and the shitty jaggy edges on some games (superhot). Despite i didnt wear glasses.

already happened a couple of times. It will stay sharp for random amount of time.
Myopia is typically weak/lazy eye muscles. They can focus but just don't want to. You can have moments where they work a little harder and the world is a little sharper (as well as being able to train them to be stronger). Bit weird if that's triggered by a certain virtual place though.

hmm i wonder. maybe it actually also happens in real life but due to its brevity, and i always wear glasses when i need "Far distance" like when driving, I never noticed it.

while in VR, the ugliness (jaggies, moire/sde/pixel) makes its easier to notice when my eyes "focus" properly. and by noticing, the visual subsystem automatically trying it best to keep the focus.

someone should make a thesis research or something :D

Haven't been on this thread for a bit, but I've become re-energised on the whole PSVR tracking thing due to this video:

Although I understood—hazy lay-man style—that PSVR was using sensor fusion to achieve tracking, I didn't appreciate what this actually meant until watching this video. Specifically that PSVR uses a standard technique: a Kalman filter in which the IMUs provide primary low latency tracking data and the external tracking is used to prevent these from drifting. If you have an Aim controller its really easy to see this in action: start a game keeping the Aim controller still, when the game loads and the Aim is represented in game the orientation is completely incorrect, now just move it a bit and within a second or two the orientation is worked out correctly.

Now given how PSVR tracking actually works its no longer so understandable why there are significant tracking issues.

There are four understood tracking issues with PSVR, these are minor and easy to understand:
  • Z-axis instability: the large source lights optical tracking system employed by PSVR is less accurate at estimating depth than point source arrays (e.g. Rift Constellation). This manifests as jitter of tracked objects.
  • Narrow camera FOV: it is easier with PSVR for tracked objects, particularly controllers, to no longer be viewed by the camera. This manifests as a a tracked object position becoming unreliable outside of the camera FOV.
  • Occlusion: if the tracked object is occluded to some degree then it will no longer be reliably tracked by the camera. Commonly experienced as occlusion wobble.
  • Interference: as the PSVR tracking system is optical it can be interfered by reflections and direct lighting. Manifesting as unreliable tracking.
With some care and attention these can be minimised or/and mitigated; though some jitter will always be present. On this basis PSVR represents a system with good positional tracking, though lower quality than Constellation or Lighthouse.

However PSVR also manifests other positional issues and these are not—for me at least—understandable given what we think we know abour PSVR tracking:

• VR rotational drift: this is where the orientation of the player or tracked object rotates with respect to the forward position. The forward position is signalled to the application by holding down the Option button. Once this is known by the application its not easy to understand why the tracked object's orientation should drift with respect to it. If the system can determine correct orientation from a controller like Aim solely by sensor fusion and the Kalman filter then how can it sustain incorrect orientation at all? it seems more likely that the system lacks precision over time in reconciling actual orientation with the forward position?
  • Positional parallax errors: in game you lean forward and near-by objects also appear to move sideways. I had always assumed this was due to z-axis in-precision. However I'm now observing that this seems unrelated to tracking fidelity and tracking environment. Also some games, e.g. Dick Wilde in game lobby, simply exhibit this as a matter of course. In these cases it seems like the applications 3D world is not being rendered with sufficient precision in response to player movement. In other games it appears that these problems manifest over time?

What strikes me about these issues is that they appear to be unique to PSVR out of the three major VR headsets?

Does anyone have any further information, observations, knowledge on this?

I was thinking of starting a new thread on PSVR Tracking, thoughts?

Positional parallax errors: in game you lean forward and near-by objects also appear to move sideways. I had always assumed this was due to z-axis in-precision. However I'm now observing that this seems unrelated to tracking fidelity and tracking environment. Also some games, e.g. Dick Wilde in game lobby, simply exhibit this as a matter of course. In these cases it seems like the applications 3D world is not being rendered with sufficient precision in response to player movement. In other games it appears that these problems manifest over time?

Thank you! Now I know what to call that annoying thing.

But what weird is that it differ a lot from game to game.

In Lindon heist it is the least while summer lesson is noticeable and surgeon Simulator is really nauseating.

Other stuff like pulsating Z is consistent from game to game.

Back