Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...emo-project-morpheus-response-from-microsoft/
Spencer also had a few things to say about challenging Sony’s Project Morpheus. He said that Microsoft doesn’t see VR as a mainstream consumer space—the way Sony might—and that they’re waiting to see how things evolve within the space before they decide to do anything about it.
Crap. No competition from Microsoft in the near future... that's going to really slow down or delay adoption if third parties can't make multi-platform VR games.

I think VR is now cloudy with a chance of sour grapes. Unless Sony spends a lot on first party VR, and/or PC really picks up VR too and then PC/PS4 multiplatform becomes a big enough market for third party VR.

I'm inclined to think that at this point Facebook's involvement is going to help adoption more than Microsoft could/would have ever done, particularly after what happened with Kinect.

I think VR is now cloudy with a chance of sour grapes. Unless Sony spends a lot on first party VR, and/or PC really picks up VR too and then PC/PS4 multiplatform becomes a big enough market for third party VR.

I expect on PC you'll be able to convert most games to VR through drivers as you currently can for stereoscopic 3D. Thos games may not be built from the ground up for VR and you'll still have to control them with a traditional controller but for the foreseeable I see those games making up the bulk of VR gaming content.

It'll basically be stereoscopic 3D on steriods. And considering how awesome stereoscopic 3D can be when it works right, that's no bad thing at all.

I expect on PC you'll be able to convert most games to VR through drivers as you currently can for stereoscopic 3D. Thos games may not be built from the ground up for VR and you'll still have to control them with a traditional controller but for the foreseeable I see those games making up the bulk of VR gaming content.
Before I watched Sony's GDC presentation I thought adding VR support may be something that could be added with little effort but having sat through Sony's hour presentation I'm not convinced this is the case. They seem to be way more considerations to immersive VR than applying stereoscopic 3D - unless you don't mind vomit inducing nausea ;-)

If you've not seen it, I'd recommend watching it. It really opened my eyes to design and control issues that I'd never thought about.

I don't think VR is something you can retrospectively apply as has been the case with 3D, it's far more nuanced.

Before I watched Sony's GDC presentation I thought adding VR support may be something that could be added with little effort but having sat through Sony's hour presentation I'm not convinced this is the case. They seem to be way more considerations to immersive VR than applying stereoscopic 3D - unless you don't mind vomit inducing nausea ;-)

If you've not seen it, I'd recommend watching it. It really opened my eyes to design and control issues that I'd never thought about.

I don't think VR is something you can retrospectively apply as has been the case with 3D, it's far more nuanced.

Thanks for the link, I'm afraid I don't have time to watch it at the moment but what specifically do you think would cause a problem? I play stereoscopic 3d games regularly with a field of view that probably isn't a million miles away from what's being offered by these headsets - and in the dark to boot which reduces peripheral vision to practically zero. If that can work with no problems I'm not sure what's so different about VR that could cause a problem. That's assuming games that don't use head tracking to control camera movement of course. I can see how bringing that into the equation might prove more tricky.

But what I'm talking about is really just a standard stereoscopic setup with a bigger (near complete) FOV + perfect eye separation. It's not full VR with head tracking and motion input but it should still offer a spectacular 3D viewing experience that's light years ahead of anything available on a 2D screen.

in the past occulus has said that if you convert old games you will have problems like a box not being texture on a side you wouldn't see in normal game play but with the rift you might.

in the past occulus has said that if you convert old games you will have problems like a box not being texture on a side you wouldn't see in normal game play but with the rift you might.

people are inventing problems that dont really exist, there is a million vorpX video on youtube, games of the last few years never have much of a problem with really wide aspect ratio's . i play most games @ 15:4 (3840x1024) without any real issues.

obviously never going to be perfect, but that more around interaction.

i play most games @ 15:4 (3840x1024)
man that must give you a headache with the fisheye distortion in most games.
Though most of mine you wont get it since I choose the opposite to normal FOV method :)

man that must give you a headache with the fisheye distortion in most games.
Though most of mine you wont get it since I choose the opposite to normal FOV method :)

as i said very few games of the last few years suffer from issues like that. the last game i played a lot that had noticeable issues was BF:BC2. but much older games like oblivion for example run fine.

im not a cheap gaming hooker, i pick a game and play the crap out of it. so my sample size is modest :LOL:

shuhei_yoshida_and_pawwusr.jpg

shuhei_yoshida_and_braiunh.jpg

See? Morpheus and Occulus are friends.
There's nothing to worry about :)

I don't see why that would be any different to stereoscopic 3D (both are rendering the frame from two different angles) and I've never encountered that issue with stereoscopic.

Quite frankly, it's nonsense. VR == stereoscopy == the same scene rendered simultaneously from two different camera angles. With a single camera you can move to either of the stereo 'eye' positions and have exactly the same view as that eye and the same graphical requirements. The only time it could actually affect a game is if the game locks the player's position based on the single camera (up against a wall, say) and when rendered with two cameras, one eye is a couple of cms off from that central position, inside the wall and looking inwards. So you'd have a couple of degrees of back-side viewing. I can't imagine that affecting any game. I'd be very curious if any fairly modern game even has untextured polygons anyway. It's easy enough to repeat UV coordinates and get the texture intended for one face on the back faces.

Back