Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Please Ace Banana be a new Ape Escape game!!
A stupid question maybe, but can the PSVR be used without the headphones. Will I get surround sound with my 5.1 home theater system while using PSVR. I think that would be a more immersive experience than the virtual surround with headphones.
You can't get 3D sound like that because our 5.1 system is static: when you turn your head, the sound cannot follow your movement, so you lose your 'audio position' in the 3D world. I think? This is still all a bit confusing.

You can't get 3D sound like that because our 5.1 system is static: when you turn your head, the sound cannot follow your movement, so you lose your 'audio position' in the 3D world. I think? This is still all a bit confusing.

Actually surround sound works fine for VR as long as it's appropriate

For example, look for 360 degrees video on YouTube. Put that into surround speakers, set Dolby pro logic to ON.

Make sure you are facing the front channel before wearing cardboard VR. Then BAM! Positional audio :D

Anyway, I hope the subwoofer will still be active in Psvr mode

But...I'm getting confused too... if I sit in my sofa and play for example the Batman VR, Alfred is doing something behind me and so the sound comes from the rear speakers. I turn my head and the sound still comes from rear speakers but in front of me, as it should be. If the 5.1 speakers were following the movement of my head, wouldn't that be wrong and Alfred's sound would come from different direction to him?

But...I'm getting confused too... if I sit in my sofa and play for example the Batman VR, Alfred is doing something behind me and so the sound comes from the rear speakers. I turn my head and the sound still comes from rear speakers but in front of me, as it should be. If the 5.1 speakers were following the movement of my head, wouldn't that be wrong and Alfred's sound would come from different direction to him?
But... But... Ok I need coffee. Someone on here explained it! Welp!

Yes.

It depends on how the audio encoding works. Does the audio send the positional data adapted to the head position, or is it transformed in the breakout box based on the headset orientation? There's no technical limit to what you ask and it's certainly possible to support surround sound audio at the room level. However, if the game/audio processing transforms the audio positions based on head orientation before output, as you turn from front to back the sound will be similarly rotated, so your backwards audio would then be directed to the front speakers.

basically when the audio did not turn to follow you (the ingame camera), it makes 5.1ch surround sound works in VR.

decouple the audio rotation from camera rotation = surround sound vr using surround speakers.

PSVR's full launch lineup for next week (in the west):
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/10/05/heres-the-playstation-vr-software-launch-line-up-in-full/

decouple the audio rotation from camera rotation = surround sound vr using surround speakers.

Exactly, I think people are overcomplicating things here.
The surround system setup just needs to be "static" in a way that virtual room = actual room. There should be no need for a properly placed surround system to follow the head movements.

Of course soundbars or anything that uses HRTF will completely screw up in that situation, but that's another story.

Why would tracking be worse than Move? This game is on PS3 and it had pretty flawless tracking from what I played.

Biggest problem is usually other lights in the background. A TV studio like setup with lots of spots can be problematic. Haven't looked to see if that was an issue now again though.

dunno, this is Sony. A company that has made lots of baffling decisions in the past, also have strong history of great hardware hampered with shitty software (even right now, their software still below par **cough** PSN Store**).

I saw many bad setups in reviews. Maybe it's true that the instructions are not clear? Impossible to figure out what exactly happens with those having problems if they don't show their setup. I trust eurogamer and roadtovr 100% for doing their homework. The others, not so much. Anyway from what I gathered from the more technical reviews, and from my experience with the PS3 move, these are my deductions:

Nobody really had these problem in the last year of demos at trade shows and across the US. These demos are usually setup correctly unless there's powerful lighting in the background (sodium lamps at bestbuy?).

Most have confirmed the ideal distance from camera is 5 or 6 feet (manual says the max is 9ft, showing the player and couch at 6ft).

Jitter happens when you get too close to the edge of the recommended area, or beyond.

Starts jittering when you're too far back, as it's reducing the spacial resolution.

Jitter/drift appears with occlusion. Placing the camera very low is a recipe for blocking the headset with your hands. It's much better to put the camera higher than lower, and keep you hands away from your face.

Some were in a studio setup with powerful colored spots. This could cause problems.

Strong lighting either toward the headset/move will cause tracking issues. Reflective surfaces can also be a problem.

Some of the reviews put the camera incredibly far, and are obviously caring more about making way for broadcast cameras to film the clowns.

Some are putting it low to the ground pointing up. The best orientation for resolving power is pointing perfectly parallel to the ground, at chest height, or head height when sitting. The Z spacial resolution doesn't look as stable as the X/Y, so it's best to avoid forcing it to resolve lateral translations of your head using the Z (happens with heavy camera angles).

Some put it on top of a slim TV on a stand, and that would wobble unless you have a solid concrete floor. It takes an invisible amount of wobble to cause a few millimeters of translation error. There's a good reason Vive recommends to literally screw the sensors securely on solid walls.

I noticed the old (square) camera will shake from vibration of the cable, the pivot point is too flimsy. I just glued it to the frame, and placed it flat on my (very heavy) center speaker.

Last edited:
Some put it on top of a slim TV on a stand, and that would wobble unless you have a solid concrete floor. It takes an invisible amount of wobble to case a few millimeters of translation error. There's a good reason Vive recommends to literally screw the sensors securely on solid walls.

I noticed the old (square) camera will shake from vibration of the cable, the pivot point is too flimsy. I just glued it to the frame, and placed it flat on my (very heavy) center speaker.

then sony should have blaring "PS Camera has been moved", just like Kinect in xbox 360 when you touch it (dunno with x1 kinect. i dont have 1).

EDIT: im not saying you are wrong, im saying if that is the case, yeah i agree. Sony's instructions are not clear enough.

Why would tracking be worse than Move? This game is on PS3 and it had pretty flawless tracking from what I played.
because on the move you'd only track 2 light sources at once. Now you have 2 light sources plus the helmet that can be in multiple directions and depending on how its facing it could be 6 or 8 light sources. Head on it looks like the headset adds 5 light sources. So your now tracking 7 instead of 2. I dunno but it seems to be an issue and isn't an isolated event.

The GB guys said they even had the problems at home and randomly it would clear up and randomly it would come back and it could be at different times of the day

Jitter/drift appears with occlusion. Placing the camera very low is a recipe for blocking the headset with your hands. It's much better to put the camera higher than lower, and keep you hands away from your face.

So I should place the PS camera on top of the TV instead of below it like I have right now?
That's really bothersome, the original camera doesn't have any feet to hold to the top of a TV. It's simply meant to place on top of a flat surface..

So I should place the PS camera on top of the TV instead of below it like I have right now?
That's really bothersome, the original camera doesn't have any feet to hold to the top of a TV. It's simply meant to place on top of a flat surface..
It seems to be made to put the front rubber to "grab" the front of the TV top edge, and bend the rear sections backwards to press on the back of the TV?

Maybe some double sided tape to hold the back "leg" firmly in place, then angle it freely... if all else fail....

My problem is that I already have a Logitech C920 on top of the TV for family skype sessions, so having the PS camera on the bottom was actually convenient..
Now I'll need to have both cameras on top side by side, which will be a bit ugly.

I'm gonna stack PS camera on top of kinect.

But then I remember kinect can tilt up and down by itself. Ugh...

Maybe I'll just double tape it to kinect

don't do that , it will be to much weight for the Kinect.

But my kinect is so fit and Buff!

:(

Hmm.. I'll try to place PS camera on my original kinect position.

And put kinect on top of..... Hmm... Cupboard. Facing me diagonally from high abovei wonder will it mess with the tracking...

Back