Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

http://www.trustedreviews.com/playstation-vr-review
For the longest time I believed it was witchcraft that made the PlayStation VR work. Having taken a boxed one home and set it up, I’ve discovered the truth: it’s all about cables. Lots and lots and lots of cables. And then some more cables.
:LOL:

That review is using the new PS4 Camera, I haven't found any info about it, is it only a different round enclosure or did they improve it somehow?

That review is using the new PS4 Camera, I haven't found any info about it, is it only a different round enclosure or did they improve it somehow?

Just a different enclosure.

Surprised the DF review hasn't made it here yet:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-sony-playstation-vr-review

The end result is a presentation that's somewhat blurrier and a touch more constricted than the competition, but curiously, PlayStation VR actually has less of an issue with the off-putting screendoor effect seen on other headsets. Discerning and focusing on individual pixels is actually rather difficult

Sony also deserves kudos for a design that is best-in-class in terms of comfort for those wearing glasses...In terms of overall fit and finish, build quality and comfort level, Sony's efforts here put them at the head of the pack - a great reminder of just how good quality Japanese design can be. I wore the PSVR headset for almost 12 hours straight during one day in putting together this review and felt no kind of stress, pressure or headache at all from the hardware.

The idea is that the timewarp adds a slight distortion effect to the image based on the latest motion data from the headset, giving a smoother image...We can confirm that this is indeed the case, but there's still some perceptible ghosting - as you can see by looking to your side when driving at speed in DriveClub...However, if your head is moving, the captures do look eerily like a native 120fps. It's quite fascinating to see the effect broken down on a frame by frame basis. The distortion effect does create artefacts, but only on the very edges of the rendered screen - tucked away in the furthest reaches of peripheral vision and totally invisible in gameplay.

It's an impressive effect overall and it does work, but it does rely strongly on games sustaining 60fps and never dropping...I've played a lot of the launch line-up at this point and frame-rate is solid on every title I've tested. It suggests that Sony's QA team really is strictly enforcing the require frame-rate lock - a good sign.

Any title that exhibits fast in-game motion that isn't reflected in the real world eventually leads to VR fatigue and a distinctly upset stomach.

Bearing in mind its price in relation to the competition, PlayStation VR is a remarkable achievement - especially bearing in mind that it manages to outscore its much more expensive rivals in key respects, principally in terms of comfort, fit and finish. In accommodating a (relatively) fixed platform, Sony had to get this hardware right first time and by and large, it's done an excellent job.
Overall sounds like what a lot of us were expecting from an 'affordable' VR experience. The major concerns are actually of VR being something worth experiencing! Could end up just a short-term experience, quickly outlived. Which TBH I wouldn't be averse to on a human level - people are already too immersed in their mobile devices! :p

Sounds great. Eurogamer is doing various hands-on stuff and seems like embargo on reviews etc is now lifted. Also a good sign, well in advance of release. Preordered one a while ago and looking forward to trying it in person :)

http://www.roadtovr.com/playstation-vr-review-psvr-console-vr-has-arrived/

Ben from roadtovr is possibly among the most knowledgeable VR reviewer out there. He's going into some interesting technical details.
Camera alignment seems very important to achieving the best quality tracking the PSVR is capable of; unfortunately the system does a poor job of instructing the users how their camera and tracking space should be set up.

After getting a properly aligned camera and calibrating the system, the positional tracking quality of PSVR does not consistently hit that sub-millimeter accuracy mark that we’ve become accustomed to with high-end desktop VR headsets like the Rift and the Vive. On the other hand, the rotational tracking latency is spot on and feels every bit as good as the Rift and Vive.

A lot of games are still embargoed... but he was impressed with the launch content:
PlayStation VR is a strong start for virtual reality on consoles, showing that it not only can be done, but it can be done well; the system is home to some of the best VR content I’ve played yet.

My biggest interest is the screen and optics... He says Mura is not as well corrected as Vive/Rift. I'm thinking maybe there's a manufacturing compromise to get RGB pixels?
If you hear someone saying that PSVR has bad screen door effect, they’re probably talking about bad mura correction.

The mura effect looks to my eye to be more noticeable than we see on the Vive and Rift. The good news is that you probably won’t notice it in well lit scenes. You’ll probably see it (and get that uncomfortable stereo conflict) in games and experiences that like to fade to grey between scenes and loading, but this is something that can be effectively designed around once developers catch on, except for experiences that want to put you in dimly lit virtual scenes.

Optics seem to have a wide horizontal sweet spot (which enables the software IPD) but not vertically. So it's an oval aperture? I still have no idea what's going on with the optics, but this would cause the horizontal axis to be a little fuzzier than the vertical (narrow aperture raises the sharpness), and this would magically fit with the need to blend RGB vertical stripes. If it's actually stripes because nobody knows.
PlayStation VR’s lenses seems to have a spacious sweet spot (the range of the area where things look sharp through the lenses), but it seems to be somewhat limited in the vertical direction (up and down on your face). When donning the headset you’ll want to tighten everything most of the way and then make a last second adjustment for clarity by moving the headset up and down a bit before making the final crank.

You can make out individual pixels if you have good eyesight and focus very carefully, but it’s almost impossible to see the (RGB) subpixel structure.

There's so many different experience for the Psvr review and the game review

Ars says that the resolution is too low. Digitalfoundry says the resolution is good enough, it even have less SDE than competitors. There's a few other says the screen a bit blurry while the few others says it's sharp.

o_O

Did some reviewers got confused between screen resolution and optics sharpness vs game render resolution and anti aliasing and texture resolution sharpness?

I guess it's a mixture of technical ignorance, expectations, and the subjective measure of what people consider "good enough". If you look at the new user reviews from folks buying into Rift and Vive, you'll see a vary wide spread of opinions when it comes to matters of visual fidelity. Some folks say the resolution is good, while others assume there must be something broken with their headset due to how pixelated it is.

The biggest worry I'm feeling from all these varying PSVR reviews are the scattered reports of significant positional wobble. That's a much trickier thing to diagnose and address for the average consumer (especially for those without any point of comparison) and the negative impact it has on even brief sessions is pretty substantial.

So from the reviews / hands on / live streams it seems like most of the guys giant bomb , tested , ars , kotaku and euro gamer all had problems with tracking. Euro gamer got a replacement that seemed to fix the issue.

Sony should have upgrade the camera and move for this release , its a shame they didn't

@eastmen even worse, sony sells new PS Move double pack at 100 USD!

ridiculous price for old tech and probably its just an old stock that got new packaging (it still have SELECT an START label instead of OPTIONS and SHARE)
I'm watching the start of the giant bomb live stream they did. This thing has a crazy amount of wires. I knew it did loking at pictures but that the start they hold it all up . It is really crazy coming from a rift that has a single wire to the head set that splits to a usb and hdmi out at the end of it and then a usb cable for the sensor.

o68MD1G.gif

Giant bomb had terrible tracking

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-6_2-30-16.png
    upload_2016-10-6_2-30-16.png
    442.9 KB · Views: 10
  • upload_2016-10-6_2-30-29.png
    upload_2016-10-6_2-30-29.png
    241.3 KB · Views: 10
  • upload_2016-10-6_2-30-37.png
    upload_2016-10-6_2-30-37.png
    290.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
when i tried PS Move on PC, it have inconsistent drift. It get muuuuch better when i spin it rigoriously on as much angles as possible in the compass calibration step.

without doing that rigoriously, a standstill move will rotate by itself.

http://kotaku.com/playstation-vr-the-kotaku-review-1787424830

Kotaku has the same problems. You can scroll down and look at the clipboard gif of how bad it is.

Giant bomb had 2 different headsets and had an old and new camera. They even during the stream took chat suggestions. I'm only 3 hours into the 5 hour live stream and am going to bed. However from what I've read they never got it working right. Tested also chimes in with the same problems. Eurogamer had the issues too and a replacement unit fixed it. If this is indeed a problem with the headsets then Sony could be in for a huge recall issue since it seems at least half the websites have had issues

If this is indeed a problem with the headsets then Sony could be in for a huge recall issue since it seems at least half the websites have had issues

oh dammit. If that is indeed the issue... im doomed.

i have a huge tendency to get broken stuff or stuff got broken after a short while. combined with Sony's service that utterly annoying and slow (always blame the consumer and at minimum, will take 1 month to simply "check" the shit).

but no way im canceling my preorder!

PSVR launch lineup

• 100ft Robot Golf - No Goblin
  • Battlezone - Rebellion
  • Batman: Arkham VR - Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
  • Bound - Plastic
  • Driveclub VR - Evolution Studio
  • EVE: Valkyrie - CCP Games
  • Harmonix Music VR - Harmonix Music Systems
  • Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X - SEGA
  • Headmaster - Frame
  • Here They Lie - Tangentlemen
  • Hustle Kings VR - EPOS Game Studios
  • Job Simulator - Owlchemy Labs
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - Steel Crate Games
  • Loading Human - Maximum Games
  • Sports Bar VR - Cherry Pop Games
  • Super Stardust VR - D3T
  • PlayStation VR Worlds - London Studio
  • Rez Infinite - Enhance Games
  • RIGS Mechanized Combat League - Guerrilla Cambridge
  • Rise Of The Tomb Raider - Crystal Dynamics
  • Superhypercube - Kokoromi
  • The Assembly - nDreams
  • The Playroom VR - Japan Studio
  • Thumper - Drool
  • Tumble VR - Supermassive Games
  • Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - Supermassive Games
  • Volume: Coda - Bithell Games
  • Wayward Sky - Uber Entertainment
  • World War Toons - Reload Studios
  • Waddle Home - Archiact Interactive
  • Resident Evil 7 Kitchen demo - Capcom
  • EVE: Gunjack - CCP Games
  • Ace Banana - Oasis Games
Here's some more games coming out shortly after launch:

• Carnival Games - 2K Games. 28th October 2016
  • Moto Racer 4 - Anuman Interactive. 3rd November 2016
  • Eagle Flight - Ubisoft. 8th November 2016 (digital) // 15th November, 2016 (retail)
  • Star Trek: Bridge Crew - Ubisoft. 29th November 2016 (digital) // 6th December 2016 (retail)
  • Werewolves Within - Ubisoft. 6th December 2016
  • Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One: X-wing VR Mission - Electronic Arts. Q4 2016
  • Fated: The Silent Oath - Frima Studio. Q4 2016
  • HoloBall - TreeFortress Games. Q4 2016
  • Pixel Ripped 1989 - Pixel Ripped Inc. Q4 2016
  • Proton Pulse - ZeroTransform Inc. Q4 2016
  • Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin - Double Fine Productions. Q4 2016
  • Robinson: The Journey - Crytek GmbH. Q4 2016
  • Time Machine VR - Minority Media. Q4 2016
  • Space Rift - bitComposer. Q4 2016
  • Trackmania VR - Ubisoft. Q4 2016
  • How We Soar - Penny Black Studios. Q4 2016
  • Radial G - Tammeka Ltd. Q4 2016
  • Tethered - Secret Sorcery Ltd. Q4 2016
  • Windlands - Psytec Games. Q4 2016
  • Viva Ex Vivo - Truant Pixel. Q4 2016
  • Pixel Gear - Oasis Games. Q4 2016
  • The Brookhaven Experiment - Phosphor Games. Q4 2016
  • Weeping Doll - Oasis Games. Q4 2016
  • Golem - Highwire Games. Q1 2017
  • GNOG - KO_OP. Q1 2017
  • Statik - Tarsier Studios. Q1 2017
  • XING: The Land Beyond - White Lotus Interactive. Q1 2017
  • Megaton Rainfall - Pentadimensional. Q1 2017
  • Korix - StellarVR. Q1 2017

@Shifty Geezer
please the Ace Banana is actually the codename for Ace Combat 7

lol

btw there's no summer lesson there. Hmm, i guess it will follow dead or alive and the english version only release in Asia

Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One: X-wing VR Mission - Electronic Arts. Q4 2016

EA just won VR!

Is what I'd like to say, but then again Battlefront is a thing that happened..

btw there's no summer lesson there. Hmm, i guess it will follow dead or alive and the english version only release in Asia

I'm pretty sure releasing Summer Lesson in the west would put most western mainstream media in full war against Sony and Bandai Tecmo.
If these media conglomerates continuously fired at Oculus (owned by very pro-Hillary Facebook) because Luckey gave $10k to some company that made anti-Hillary ads, imagine what they would do to a company who released a game that lets you "touch" the breasts and "lift" the skirt of a virtual 16-year-old girl.
They seem bothered enough that the game even exists.

Last edited by a moderator:
please the Ace Banana is actually the codename for Ace Combat 7
Please Ace Banana be a new Ape Escape game!!
A stupid question maybe, but can the PSVR be used without the headphones. Will I get surround sound with my 5.1 home theater system while using PSVR. I think that would be a more immersive experience than the virtual surround with headphones.

Back