Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Box, box, box, box, box, helmet, wire, hookup, wire, wire, wire, disc,.

An accurate summary (though very nice boxes, wire to PS4 seems shortish), but my feeling is ... god it is really happening.

IT IS HAPPENING!

An accurate summary (though they are nice looking boxes!), but watching the video I get this excited feeling of - it's really happening!

IT IS HAPPENING!

Just two more weeks!

Well, only when the very narrow camera angle can see the sensor bar. As a result lots of games only use gyro. Think how often during a game like Dance Central the Wiimote is actually going to point to the TV.

Anyway on the PS4 in the virtual keyboard menu, the camera is not used. You can test it by unplugging or blinding the camera.

Box, box, box, box, box, helmet, wire, hookup, wire, wire, wire, disc,.

Wait, the demo disc is not inside a box?

You probably unboxed the EU Psvr.

On the other hand, the Asia Psvr will go green and use banana leaf as the demo disc case I suppose

some new news about the breakout box:
actual link to FAQ:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/03/playstation-vr-the-ultimate-faq/
referred from:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1288307

OP quotes interesting point:
Q: Does the Processor Unit support 4K and HDR pass through?
The PS VR Processor Unit (PU) supports video pass through so that you can enjoy regular non-VR content on your TV when you have the PS4 connected to the TV via the PU and the PU is connected to power via the AC adapter and the PS VR headset is not in use. This pass through support works for regular 1080p signals and also supports 2160p (UHD or ‘4K’) content in YUV 420 color format at up to 60 Hz from a PlayStation Pro.
However, HDR signals are not supported for pass through by the PU. This applies to both 1080p and 2160p HDR. If you have a HDR capable TV and want to view PS4 content in HDR, it is necessary to cable the PS4 directly to the TV.

A minor annoyance for someone expecting the whole experience by going with 4Pro and PSVR and a 4KHDR tv.

There must be a problem sourcing 2.0b components for a 2016 launch, or maybe the pass-through doesn't have a low-level matrix switcher, just a 1-in/2-out HDMI front end to the (small) processor, and it would be limited to 340MHz clock and 8 bits?

The same thing happened to the XB1S, which doesn't support 4K nor HDR pass-through.

Pretty big annoyance if you ask me. [emoji848]

Lol. I guess it depends on how often you switch between PSVR and 4K HDR. If not often, not a big problem.

But then again if you are the type of person with a large screen panel backed into a wall unit where it's hard to get to the panel.

Yea, pretty annoying. Same goes with XBO S I guess. Though I'm unsure how many TV streams are 4K and digital. I suppose it doesn't have to be TV.

Maybe they can add hdr support in the future?

There's still a bunch of stuff missing with the PU : 3d video support, position tracking in virtual theater, games with camera in virtual theater

Well my wife kindly reminded me why she's so awesome by giving me a PSVR pre-order for my birthday, so count me in for 1st-hand impressions next week :yes::yes::yes:
This will probably mean I'll be getting a PS4 Pro too, since it should definitely provide a much better VR experience on the long(er) run, at least for 120Hz with less reprojection and better AA.

Pretty big annoyance if you ask me. [emoji848]

Not really. You can get a HDMI 2.0 Y splitter for as low as 15€. Just select a different TV input when using PSVR.
Let's not forget this is an annoyance inside a feature that none of the other headsets have, which is to send a non-distorted image through a dedicated video output to a 2D screen for social viewing.

Rift and Vive send a pre-distortion mirror to your monitor for social viewing. If there's a feature that PSVR will likely have over Rift/Vive it's looking to be content with a greater focus on using it for asymmetric gameplay rather than merely passive spectating.

So for those with asymmetric gameplay like playroom vr, ps4 actually output 3 pictures instead of two?

2x960x1080@120fps
1x1280x720@unkown

Thats a lot of pixels. All through one hdmi cable.

Rift and Vive send a pre-distortion mirror to your monitor for social viewing.

I wasn't aware of that, I've always seen those dual-distorted images in the monitors when people are showing demos. Is it part of each headset's native software or do you need a third-party software?
Is it sent through the headset itself or through another video output of the graphics card?

So for those with asymmetric gameplay like playroom vr, ps4 actually output 3 pictures instead of two?

2x960x1080@120fps
1x1280x720@unkown

Thats a lot of pixels. All through one hdmi cable.

I guess that for asymmetric gameplay, the original PS4 will only be able to send 2*960*1080 @ 45/60Hz + reprojection to the headset + 1920*1080 60Hz to TV because of the HDMI 1.4's bandwidth limit.
The PS4 Pro with HDMI 2.0 can send 4K (4*1920*1080) @ 60Hz, meaning there's enough bandwidth to send 2*1920*1080 @ 120Hz to the headset and still do another 1920*1080 60Hz to the TV.

I wasn't aware of that, I've always seen those dual-distorted images in the monitors when people are showing demos. Is it part of each headset's native software or do you need a third-party software?
Is it sent through the headset itself or through another video output of the graphics card?

It's a documented feature of the SDKs and implemented by the application. It's sent to the attached monitor just as any application does. I think the big difference between PC VR and PSVR spectating right now isn't the hardware or software implementation, but the fact that PCs tend to not be sitting in the livingroom with the household big screen TV as its monitor coupled with the necessary seating space.

@ToTTenTranz @bgroovy

i mean like in Playroom VR. All 3 viewpoints are live gameplay and have different views.

2 for PSVR (left/right eye) view
1 for social screen where the view is the independently rendered "TV" view. Not just chopped/mirrored/cleaned from one of the PSVR render.

EDIT:
i think i get what you mean. @ToTTenTranz explains that this is no problem, HDMI still have enough bandwidth do do all of that

while @bgroovy explains that the seperate view on the TV actually came through USB (h264 stream), not the HDMI.

On games that use a different view of the action on the regular TV vs the view from the VR headset, there are additional rendering resources required. On games that just target the VR headset, the break-out box will take the image from one eye and rework that to show properly on a flat TV. Image angle is slightly off as a result and field of view is narrower than in the headset. Ian@Eurogamer discussed it briefly when he did the battle tanks VR multiplayer video.

Back