Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

They do make almost every phone camera lens in all modern phones, right?

Morpheus tracking should remain the lowest cost by using only a few visible power leds, and the simplest assembly of the bunch. Lenses still unknown. Reports puts their quality somewhere between Vive and Oculus...

Are you suggesting PSVR tracking is better than either Oculus or Vive? If so I'd be interested in seeing the source for that as everything I've read so far suggests PSVR is the least accurate of the three.

Are you suggesting PSVR tracking is better than either Oculus or Vive? If so I'd be interested in seeing the source for that as everything I've read so far suggests PSVR is the least accurate of the three.

I think you misread MrFox's post, he said PSVR was probably the lowest cost tracking solution based on what's known. It was the lenses he was speculating are somewhere in the middle.

Yes, everyone seem to agree the move controller from 2010 is the least accurate of the three. I haven't seen any negative comments about the headsets tracking, said to be solid as long as you stay in the cameras limited frustum, occlusion is an issue for oculus and psvr, while vive is much better on both aspects.

The move is $25 right now on amazon. That's why I don't think we will get a revision until next gen, it would mess up the price point. Besides, millions of us already have the move controllers anyway. If they make a revision, it would be nice if the old model remains compatible. :???:

If they make a new controller I want gloves.

After solving a bit over 200 panels, I will be very sad if The Witness does not get PSVR support. World looks so detailed and pretty, it simply begs for a VR exploration mode. Plus, it already runs at 1080p60.

have this video been seen?

seems the Move controllers is laggy, or its the TV thats laggy?

it seems the TV output itself add lag, because the head movement also become laggy. should be no problem because its view-only (for the tv).

it seems the TV output itself add lag, because the head movement also become laggy. should be no problem because its view-only (for the tv).
Yeah, TVs can add anywhere between 16ms and 150ms. Also the external box probably adds 16ms for the unwarping buffer. So with the headset being 18ms, this would look a minimum of 50ms lag. That could be way above 100ms if the TV has frame interpolation enabled, or isn't specifically set to "gaming mode".

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-test-results/input-lag

The only way to know would be to count the frames. :-|

Regardless, it looks like the Move is showing more lag than the headset, or maybe it's more noticeable only because of the twitchy movements, like what he does with the soft drink @1:13. Or maybe because headset can use reprojection, while motion controllers logically have to go through the entire game engine path.

Last edited:
Yeah, so it's no indication of the lag in the headset, in other words.

PU creates latency for TV stream when it re-projects one fisheye half of a screen into one normal looking [cropped] 16:9 image. That plus TV latency = lag on TV. For user who wears headset, everything is fine.

http://www.roadtovr.com/valve-shows-off-miniscule-lighthouse-sensors/
More details on the Vive's extremely precise tracking system. Each tiny sensor seems to have it's own port, I guess maybe a few op amps for high gain, and comparator, and AGC, something like that? There are a LOT of sensors but the miniaturization is really impressive. This should be the most expensive tracking system, but the whole package could be okay since the lenses aren't made with super-crazy-shit(tm) technology. OTOH Oculus is using low cost infrared leds that only need to be powered (no critical timing signal) so the only cost there is the assembly (but crazy expensive lenses).

Morpheus tracking should remain the lowest cost by using only a few visible power leds, and the simplest assembly of the bunch. Lenses still unknown. Reports puts their quality somewhere between Vive and Oculus... which doesn't help figuring out their cost or tech. All we can tell from the pictures is that it's not coarse fresnel, and it's probably not fine fresnel.

whats nice about the vive is the light houses are small and only need power.

Oculus constilation requires power and usb access for each sensor

But will the Leds really cost that much on the headset ? they should be really low power . Also the IR blaster in the sensor should be pretty cheap also.

Sony doesn't have to worry about room scale and the ps camera is pretty cheap.

A lot of the rumors about Rift on the xbox one is that it will use Kinect instead of the IR sensor stands

A lot of the rumors about Rift on the xbox one is that it will use Kinect instead of the IR sensor stands
VR on xbox would really help multiplatforms, it's kind of a missing link (along with a less stupid price point).
At Facebook's earnings call, Zuckerberg was asked about Rift preorders, he said:
Yes, I am happy. I don’t show much joy, but I’m happy. Sorry. It’s going to be gaming for the beginning. I mean, that’s the initial market. There are about—I think it’s around 250 million people who have Xboxs, PlayStations, or Wiis. That’s the initial market of folks who we think are going to be most interested in the early VR experiences, especially at some of the higher price points.
In October, they said they'll be capable of producing 100 Rift per hour. It doesn't add up to more than a niche for 2016. A lower price points for VR on both XB1 and PS4 would sells a lot more, and with Vive added, the total would be a nice start for 2016. Multiplatforms would really have something to chew on.

VR on xbox would really help multiplatforms, it's kind of a missing link (along with a less stupid price point).
At Facebook's earnings call, Zuckerberg was asked about Rift preorders, he said:

In October, they said they'll be capable of producing 100 Rift per hour. It doesn't add up to more than a niche for 2016. A lower price points for VR on both XB1 and PS4 would sells a lot more, and with Vive added, the total would be a nice start for 2016. Multiplatforms would really have something to chew on.

They started in June I believe however. So 100 rifts an hour , say 12 hours a day ? . That's 1,200. So they could have something like 432,00 for launch.

I know Kinect is more than up to the task . I doubt the xbox is. They would need some heavy voodoo and a much bigger breakout box with a gpu that could hopefully do crossfire over usb3 lol .

They started in June I believe however. So 100 rifts an hour , say 12 hours a day ? . That's 1,200. So they could have something like 432,00 for launch.
That's pretty niche. A lack of competing software may make it attractive to devs, but otherwise you're targeting 400k OVRs versus 50 million consoles versus 50+ million gaming PCs versus a gazillion mobile devices. Targeting OVR would be like targeting Ouya.

Do big chinese factories stop during the night?
Honest question. I thought that keeping up with the production demands were so important that they would simply change shifts between their employees.

Back