Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Yeah if it's gdc announced Psvr release for April.. That's is short.

But please be April. It will be bloody unhilarious if release for 2017.

Seriously. VR have been on the brink of release since 2015 blargh. Brrrrrr

Yeah if it's gdc announced Psvr release for April.. That's is short.
Agreed on a short notice. The practical timing for launch will be predicated on the market being receptive (and I guess with so much VR activity, now is as good a time as any), the hardware being ready and good software being ready. I can believe final hardware is in production but I can't think of any highly anticipated VR games ready for launch in April.

I still think it'll be June with a VR version of No Man's Sky being the premier launch game. Unless Sony have something tucked up their sleeve that they've not shown in public. I'm ready to buy PSVR day one but Sony have shown me no software that would compel me to spend. Not yet, anyway.

Agreed on a short notice. The practical timing for launch will be predicated on the market being receptive (and I guess with so much VR activity, now is as good a time as any), the hardware being ready and good software being ready. I can believe final hardware is in production but I can't think of any highly anticipated VR games ready for launch in April.

I still think it'll be June with a VR version of No Man's Sky being the premier launch game. Unless Sony have something tucked up their sleeve that they've not shown in public. I'm ready to buy PSVR day one but Sony have shown me no software that would compel me to spend. Not yet, anyway.

i just remembered, sony keeps exhibiting PSVR on lots of PS Expo. i think recently was in Taiwan?

they also got dev support from lots of unconventional country (Korea and Taiwan) for PS VR. Korea have horror game and one i forgot, Taiwan have 2 or 3. with one of them is kind of "god game" in space.

maybe expo each months for each region, then release?
Feb - Taiwan/East Asia region
March - GDC (CA/West region)
April - ???
May - ???
Jun - ???
Jul - ???

shouldnt they have events in HK and JP before release?

i just checked PS press page and...

all stuff related to PSVR is using placeholder date.

PSVR is placeholdered to 2015 dec
while all of its games placeholdered to 2016 dec

:(

EDIT:
The last guardian is MAY 2016

Sony knows that not everyone is rich and therefore they would never release this supposedly £300 device as a 'surprise'. Because April 2016 - without ever giving a hint of a release date - pretty much equals Surprise Launch in this industry.

Or maybe they know that the first early buyers of VR are people who can in fact shell out that kind of money at short notice anyway, so who cares about the others who will be waiting to buy it anyway?

Both options seem to make a bit of sense.

Last edited:
Me, Psvr. Nao, want!

Will be the ultimate tease if Sony announced no man's sky for Psvr in GDC. Discussed how they achieve it and the challenges/benefit with procedural generation for VR.

Then still no release date

Sony knows that not everyone is rich and would never release this supposedly £300 device as a 'surprise'. Because April 2016 - without ever giving a hint of a release date - pretty much equals Surprise Launch in this industry.

I don't think Sony will have sufficient units for everybody who wants one (were money no object) so some people not having time to save may be preferable for them, and commercially it will help spread demand across the initial launch months.

From a manufacturer's perspective it's better if a customer cannot afford a product that is not available because they are likely to a save for it and during that time you're making more of that product. The alternate is customers having the money but no product being available and in this scenario manufacturers run the risk of customers spending that money on something else.

Me, Psvr. Nao, want!
Out of curiosity, which announced PSVR launch games are you looking forward too?

I'm just going by what seems to be the philosophy of releasing something - anything - in recent times, and the subsequent 'need' to shatter records and have a huge launch.

Whether there's a limited audience, or thinking of poor people, or accounting for shy early adopters doesn't really matter. Trickling down a bunch of units here and there at launch goes against everything we believe in. It would be the end of capitalism as we know it and next thing you know, PSVR will be the reason why we go back to the Stone Age.

Last edited:
It would be efficient in terms of profiting from the press attention for VR products in general. Sony also gave the impression that they've been ready in terms of hardware production. But it may just as well just be a release for the developer community - give every GDC attendant one for free or something like that ;)

I fully expect Sony have a million plus units for launch but I think demand will be greater than stock. I have zip to base this on other than the incessant VR coverage in the mainstream gaming media which is both driving interest and serving as a talking point for those interested in VR but I think Sony's sales predictions are probably conservative because this is a new market with no useful sales metrics to base reliable demand on.

And VR is, after all, a bit of a gamble for mainstream gaming. Cockpit games have proven to work well, first and third person games this far have not because of the disconnect between first person view and disconnect of moving around the world without actually moving.

It's definitely better from a production, sales and customer perception position for demand to outstrip supply than the other way around :yep2:

I don't think Sony will have sufficient units for everybody who wants one (were money no object) so some people not having time to save may be preferable for them, and commercially it will help spread demand across the initial launch months.

From a manufacturer's perspective it's better if a customer cannot afford a product that is not available because they are likely to a save for it and during that time you're making more of that product. The alternate is customers having the money but no product being available and in this scenario manufacturers run the risk of customers spending that money on something else.

Out of curiosity, which announced PSVR launch games are you looking forward too?

Ace combaaaaaaaaaat :D

It's back to strangereal! Even if it's not VR it's already awesome.

And then in no particular order
No man's sky (if it come to vr), London heist, eve valkyrie, summer lesson, kitchen

Too bad summer lesson won't have voice recognition. If it was a Microsoft products, I suspect it can work with kinect voice recognition that's bloody accurate and easily understand my ugly English.

Kitchen is only a VR demo and Sony have been reluctant is confirming it'll be available for consumers.

Tekken 7 might be good for us real life ninjas! :nope:

My most anticipated PSVR titles are GT Sport [and other driving games such as Project CARS & DriveClub], Eve Valkyrie, Ace Combat 7, Golem, Superhypercube, Robinson: The Journey, The Assembly, Gallery... There are a bunch of great games for this platform, hopefully they will be enough to drive first year sales, which will motivate even more devs to start supporting it.

@DSoup the kitchen itself probably just a tech demo, but i suspect capcom will be releasing it as "restaurant" ?

i mean, a full blown horror VR game.

@DieH@rd
totaly forgot about robinson and gallery! those looks awesome and hopefully fun. gallery at the bare minimum should have interesting story.

yeah if its true then... bloody delay! blargh! what theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee he he he he

ugh hopefully its not feature creep. sony want to put eye tracking, thus the delay etc etc

Back