Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Forcing devs to implement two render paths is not good. It is better for Sony to create more work environment presets for future headsets, with default one being normal 1080p PSVR-esque. And if dev wants he can activate "extension" for accessing foveated sensors and more. That way all PSVR v1 titles will work fine on future headsets, always defaulting to 1080p mode which newer hardware will adapt to.

You could certainly do that. However, games that want to target PSVR2 on PS4 will need to have a second render path, and without that support, what's the point in adoption foveated rendering in PSVR2?!

Not to get too off topic but you don't get the phone "free", you're subsiding the purchase over the period of the contract. Compare the costs of handset-free contracts verses handset-included contracts. You've been duped by network operator marketing, I'm afraid.

Given this, the phone comparison is entirely valid.

It's not the same, I can't go into a store and continue to pay £xx per month and get the latest PS5 and PSVRv2 when it comes out.

It's not the same, I can't go into a store and continue to pay £xx per month and get the latest PS5 and PSVRv2 when it comes out.
What you're describing is credit and that's exacly how it works.

I think he's describing contracts that include 'free' hardware upgrades. You don't have that with consoles. You can buy a console on credit, but that contract doesn't include an upgrade to the next system. For that you need to enter into another contract. In real terms they're basically the same thing, with monthly payments, but the experience and perception are different. The equivalent in the console space would be paying $x a month every month for decades, getting 'free' replacement hardware when new models are introduced.

I think he's describing contracts that include 'free' hardware upgrades. You don't have that with consoles. You can buy a console on credit, but that contract doesn't include an upgrade to the next system.

You don't get that with mobiles either, handset contracts are subsidised loans where the cost of the handset is paid for over the period of the contract - this is why thse types of contracts are bound by consumer credit regulation because legally you have a loan. Then the contract runs it course and you get a 'free' upgrade, which is actually just another subsidised contract. The days of genuinely free handsets are largely gone unless you're talking about those über cheap handsets which are generally surplus and unsaleable stock which is cheaper to give away than pay to be destroyed.

For that you need to enter into another contract. In real terms they're basically the same thing, with monthly payments, but the experience and perception are different. The equivalent in the console space would be paying $x a month every month for decades, getting 'free' replacement hardware when new models are introduced.

This business model used to exist, I don't know if you recall Radio Rentals - a UK company who used to hire out A/V equipment. A friend of mine used ot hire his TV and would uprade it every few months.

The point is pretty much that no-one with a 'new' mobile phone buys it out-right, they will enter into the contract knowing it's costing £XX pm and then in 2 years they will get the latest model and so on. It's the accepted norm. Pretty much no-one buys a console in this way...I appreciate some people may use loans/credit cards/etc but either way they go into a store and buy a £300 console (and you're suggesting a ~£500-600 bundle) and decide how they will pay for it vs walking into a store and getting a phone for ~£30 a month.

Back in the 90s there was a lot of 'get this for just a few pounds a week' but those days are gone (and illegal I believe)...I think phone companies get away with it because a handset is required to access the service they are offering*.

It's just not the same thing.

And back onto forward compatability and Sony hardware...I believe both the Vita and PSTV fit that description.

*total guess, I just know there was a lot of upset over the rediculous terms and now I don't see those 'adverts' any more

Last edited:
Yes, the HP price was often more prominent than the RRP - why pay £500 when you can get it for just £4.33 pw (forever). Anyway, it's totally OT - I just meant that the mentality attached to buying a conole is completely different to that of a phone.

Back OT - hopefully CES will give us more details.

Because if you have the cash, that 500 is lower than the monthly payment so why pay more in the long run when you have the money? It's not like you can put that money away and get some interest, these days with rates so low.

Back in the 90s there was a lot of 'get this for just a few pounds a week' but those days are gone (and illegal I believe)...
Not illegal and not gone away. People buying things on credit (store credit or credit cards) is exactly the same thing. The only business model which has subsided is that of the aforementioned Radio Rentals. Unless you are paying outright for a product you have a flexible loan and are paying bit by bit. This is essentially the same model as your 'free' handset. It's not free because it is always cheaper to buy your phone outright and get a non-handset contract but few people do. Well I do but I'm wise to crappy phone network marketing and I can do math! :yes:

But this is off topic.

My last comment OT; I realise the act of 'loans' has not gone away, but I believe there are measures in place to minimise how it was 'peddled' in the 90s due to the boom and bust (everyone put everything on credit @ 39% and got stung).

I may be wrong, but I certainly only see the actual RRP of items when I go into a store these days...there is buy now pay later but none of the 'from only XX per week'.

Of course the £500 is cheaper than the contract, but seriously, I think to suggest people consider phones and consoles as similar purchase items is a stretch. Consoles come out every 6/7 years and phones every year, it's a totally different market and mindset when purchasing.

Oculus is opening CK1 preorders in 2 days, PSVRs competition is finally stepping up. Hopefully Sony will have something to say about PSVR deployment on CES.

Yeah, we're getting closer to a price, finally. I mean you can't accept preorder without a price...

Oculus is opening CK1 preorders in 2 days, PSVRs competition is finally stepping up. Hopefully Sony will have something to say about PSVR deployment on CES.

I would think gamescom for sony. I bet a june launch for them but I could be wrong. Will be interesting to see the prices on the 6th. I'm guess the rift will be $500 at this point.

It's all I ask for Sony, well that and a decent price...oh and availability, and maybe a few games thrown in...and,erm, forward compatability with PS5 :p

I would think gamescom for sony. I bet a june launch for them but I could be wrong. Will be interesting to see the prices on the 6th. I'm guess the rift will be $500 at this point.

I hope you're right about the release date.

It'll be interesting to see the BOM for both of the devices. I can't help but think the PSVR will actually be a fair amount more to manufacture, as the headset itself looks a little more premium and it has the larger box that probably got a little more hardware in it.

I should imagine the Oculus screens will be potentially more expensive though.

So, what's the actual truth? Does the game needs to be rendered in 250fps so that foveated rendering can "fool the brain", or the current 90-120fps scanout is enough, but eyetracking sensor need to run at 250hz and gather data as fast as possible?

In regards to Oculus, I did not plan to buy one, but :D

As a small token of our appreciation for your support, all Kickstarter backers who pledged for a Rift development kit will get a free Kickstarter Edition Oculus Rift! And like all Rift pre-order purchasers, you’ll receive a bundled copy of Lucky’s Tale and EVE: Valkyrie.

edit

I guess it's a way to sweeten the backer outrage that happened after the Facebook buy-out :D

Last edited:
Back