Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Since DualShock 4 is officially supported on PS3 [Sony even added support for wireless connectivity], I think that is a clear sign that VR headset made for PS5 will also work on PS4!

:D
Not sure how official it is because some (rare) noteworthy games are not compatible with DS4, like GT6 or Jak and Daxter HD, which is really annoying.

Kinect is a great example of PSVRs future if it isn't compatible with PS5.
PSVR is a PS4 peripheral. No-one will be buying it based on a requirement for PS5 compatibility, and I doubt the lack of announcement of compatibility with PS5 will impact sales. Given AFAIK zero people have asked Sony is PSVR will be compatible with PS5, it seems it's a non inssue for current potential customers.

Kinect also is a bad example. Forwards compatibility didn't kill it - lack of software and interest did. Kincet 2 was much, much better, and had MS actually backed it with software, it could ahve justified itself. Had it also been optional but properly supported, that too could have seen Kinect 2 have a strong future on XB1. Or putting it another way, if PSVR is compatible with PS5 but receives nothing more when it releases this year than a few light games and tech demos before software dries up, PSVR will be dead.

The product is bought based on its value now to consumers - longevitiy is only a part of that equation, and a small part by and large where the experience is signficant enough.

Well I listed a load for you. Also, the PS2 camera did work with PS3 and with DS2 you could use it on PS3 with a converter but IIRC no rumble worked. I recall when I bought the PS3 it was nice not having to rebuy everything...you already got a controller with it so it was nice if other players wanted to play I could use the old controllers. Anyway, controllers are the main feature so I wouldn't expect any b/c - it's nice to have basic b/c though.

Ok, so just the Buzz controllers and Move. That's my recollection, too. Sony don't sell guitar controllers so support is on the the manufacturers or game developers. Ditto, I think it's fair to say, including adaptors. Something not being technically impossible both additional hardware is not a sign of Sony being pro-cross-platform compatibility. But that measure Sony support use of 360 controllers.

But I guess why it's so, peripherals are a licence to print money. The DualShock 4 has got to be about 70-80% lovely juicy gravy-flavoured profit! :yep2:

PSVR is a PS4 peripheral. No-one will be buying it based on a requirement for PS5 compatibility, and I doubt the lack of announcement of compatibility with PS5 will impact sales. Given AFAIK zero people have asked Sony is PSVR will be compatible with PS5, it seems it's a non inssue for current potential customers.

Kinect also is a bad example. Forwards compatibility didn't kill it - lack of software and interest did. Kincet 2 was much, much better, and had MS actually backed it with software, it could ahve justified itself. Had it also been optional but properly supported, that too could have seen Kinect 2 have a strong future on XB1. Or putting it another way, if PSVR is compatible with PS5 but receives nothing more when it releases this year than a few light games and tech demos before software dries up, PSVR will be dead.

The product is bought based on its value now to consumers - longevitiy is only a part of that equation, and a small part by and large where the experience is signficant enough.

I'm not sure why you can't see the similarities, both are expensive bespoke add-ons being launched a couple years into the console lifespan to expand the way we play games. Both are being used as a 'Trojan horse' to get users to adapt. Kinect 2 may have been better but no-one cared - or at least wanted to pay the extra. MS would have been better off with a K2 less sku and allowing K1 to work but the option to upgrade, I believe that would have made the transition better than the route they went.

As for PSVR, of course 'today' we are not fussed - and no early adopters will be, but the 2nd year when those early adopters dry up and Sony want to start getting a bigger market there will (potentially) be PS5 talk on the horizon...so I suggest it would be a bad move not to have it compatible. I don't even see why you're making an issue out of it TBH - of course there will be a PSVR 2 (likely) out later but that leaves a gap for people like me who will want the PS5 but still want PSVR...unless of course PSVR dies then there's little point to offer forward compatibility.

Ok, so just the Buzz controllers and Move. That's my recollection, too. Sony don't sell guitar controllers so support is on the the manufacturers or game developers. Ditto, I think it's fair to say, including adaptors. Something not being technically impossible both additional hardware is not a sign of Sony being pro-cross-platform compatibility. But that measure Sony support use of 360 controllers.

But I guess why it's so, peripherals are a licence to print money. The DualShock 4 has got to be about 70-80% lovely juicy gravy-flavoured profit! :yep2:

If we're going to whittle it down to just Sony produced add-ons then the rate is probably above 50/50. I'd say Sony not changing the video output from PS1 and using a standard HDMI along with non proprietry USB compatible accessories and standard internal HDD being upgradable points to them being a little less about printing money than the other console makers, which was my point, I'm hopeful they will continue that way with PSVR.

I'm not sure why you can't see the similarities, both are expensive bespoke add-ons being launched a couple years into the console lifespan to expand the way we play games. Both are being used as a 'Trojan horse' to get users to adapt. Kinect 2 may have been better but no-one cared - or at least wanted to pay the extra. MS would have been better off with a K2 less sku and allowing K1 to work but the option to upgrade, I believe that would have made the transition better than the route they went.
Why? Whether Kinect 2 or 1, there was no software on XB1 warranting a Kinect. Just as there was little software coming out for Kinect at the end of 360. It was a fad, like Wii, that came with great furore and faded into obscurity. If VR is a fad, nothing can make PSVR2 on PS5 a success. If VR isn't a fad, VR on PS5 will sell on its merits or not.

As for PSVR, of course 'today' we are not fussed - and no early adopters will be, but the 2nd year when those early adopters dry up and Sony want to start getting a bigger market there will (potentially) be PS5 talk on the horizon...so I suggest it would be a bad move not to have it compatible. I don't even see why you're making an issue out of it TBH
I'm not making an issue out of it! I'm discussing the point. You think PSVR should run on PS5. I think it depends on what PSVR2 does differently as to whether it should support PSVR or not. We both express our views including arguements and counter arguments until one's view changes to agree with the orther, or until we agree to disagree and do something else. ;)

If we're going to whittle it down to just Sony produced add-ons then the rate is probably above 50/50. I'd say Sony not changing the video output from PS1 and using a standard HDMI along with non proprietry USB compatible accessories and standard internal HDD being upgradable points to them being a little less about printing money than the other console makers, which was my point, I'm hopeful they will continue that way with PSVR.
That's adopting industry standards rather than supporting forwards compatibility in their peripherals, some of which are basically necessary (can't really use anything other than HDMI to connect to a TV!). So they support USB cables on their controllers instead of proprietary, over priced cabls, but they don't support compatible controllers. Looking at the devices that don't have industry standards, Sony's forwards adoption hasn't been stellar. Hence a lack of faith (precedent) in PSVR getting PS5 support. As others say, it may well count as just a display type.

Why would PS5 get stuck with only 1080p120hz hardware? Remember it's only 960x1080 per eye.

Who would want that? I expect all PSVR users to be quite happy into buying PSVR2 hardware with 4K120hz displays...

It wouldn't be 'stuck'. There'd be a PSVR2 (may even be a PSVR 2 for PS4). Compatibility just means a two-tier, lower price of entry into PS5 VR for those upgrading from PS4 VR.

Exactly, it's like a 1080p TV vs 4K TV - each PSVR would work just one would display better than the other.

It wouldn't be 'stuck'. There'd be a PSVR2 (may even be a PSVR 2 for PS4). Compatibility just means a two-tier, lower price of entry into PS5 VR for those upgrading from PS4 VR.

I think the problem with this is that it forces developers to have to support to different display standards for the VR games that would require additional testing, QA, etc..

I think if PSVR on PS4 gets enough dev support, with a large enough library of games by the end of the PS4 gen, then PS5 would not need to support PSVR ver.1, as consumers would be happy enough to upgrade to PSVR ver.2.0 with PS5 after feeling they got their "money's worth" with the ver.1 investment.

Hence why I think its in Sony's best interest to really push game development of AAA VR titles on PSVR. If they do then they can keep the dev environment for VR on PS5 simple, by requiring a single display standard to be supported. Otherwise, if PSVR doesn't get enough quality games then it likely doesn't even matter if PS5 supports PSVR ver.1 as gamers themselves would be unwilling to upgrade to ver.2.0 after investing so much on the first one and not seeing Sony and third party publishers come through with enough quality content.

I think the problem with this is that it forces developers to have to support to different display standards for the VR games that would require additional testing, QA, etc..
That's indeed the issue; if PSVR2 is far enough removed from PSVR, supporting it doesn't make sense. But if it operates as a dumb output like a TV, the game needn't do anything fancy. Simply downscale the results to PSVR's 1080p in.

I think if PSVR on PS4 gets enough dev support, with a large enough library of games by the end of the PS4 gen, then PS5 would not need to support PSVR ver.1, as consumers would be happy enough to upgrade to PSVR ver.2.0 with PS5 after feeling they got their "money's worth" with the ver.1 investment.

So you're expecting PSVR v1 to have a short life-span then? Or you're expecting people to keep PS4 & PSVR and buy PS5 too? Or that early adopters will be happy to miss the launch of PS5/stop using PSVR after PS5 comes out?

I don't see the issue really, to me (maybe I'm looking at this far too simply) it's like where we have the new generation of games that work on both last and new gen and suggesting it's too much hard work to bother making sure games run on both gens...there will be an established ready made market so it's worth it vs making a whole new game for a potential minimal take up (see Kinect2).

Again, maybe I@m missing something

So you're expecting PSVR v1 to have a short life-span then?
Depends when PS5 launches. 3 years woudln't be particularly short.
Or you're expecting people to keep PS4 & PSVR and buy PS5 too?
You'd get PS5 and PSVR2, and sell PS4+PSVR to help fund it. PSVR complatiblity in PS5 is the last worry for playing the old library - you'd need BC. And of course if PS5 is BC with PS4, PSVR is a non issue.

So you're expecting PSVR v1 to have a short life-span then? Or you're expecting people to keep PS4 & PSVR and buy PS5 too? Or that early adopters will be happy to miss the launch of PS5/stop using PSVR after PS5 comes out?

I don't see the issue really, to me (maybe I'm looking at this far too simply) it's like where we have the new generation of games that work on both last and new gen and suggesting it's too much hard work to bother making sure games run on both gens...there will be an established ready made market so it's worth it vs making a whole new game for a potential minimal take up (see Kinect2).

Again, maybe I@m missing something

If PS4 releases end of 2020, then PSVR1 will have lived more than 4 years. In the era of people buying a new Iphone every 2 years (or less), I don't find it particularly short for such a device.

And it's going to be difficult making games working for both, no doubt about it. PSVR1 sounds already quite complicated with all technologies it uses already like the 60fps -> 120fps tech etc. I am sure PSVR2 will bring a whole new package of new tech and interface complexity.

Why this fixation about whether next gen and PSVR will (or should) support BC? The last console that was really BC was the WiiU. The current console that is the 'less' BC currently is the PS4.

I am not sure Sony will even think of BC when they'll design the PS5 (and PSVR2) notably because how successful is their PS4, how poorly BC had helped the WiiU and how useful remasters are for everybody: devs for learning the new hardware and for making money. And even to gamers that are ready and happy to pay the price if the remasters are good. And many of them have being good or even better on current gen.

And they are definitely going to think about P$Now.

BC isn't worth it on so many levels. Most people want the new sexy toy, they don't care about the old and antique.

I'll give an example of attractiveness of a new shiny tech : I think the next cool thing in nex jen will be adaptive framerate like Gsync or freesync. When PS5 will launch while being freesync ready and that they'll announce that PSVR2 will launch soony with a ~4K120hz freesync display, so allowing for instance true 90fps to 120fps framerate with freesync enabled, no more false 120fps with some infamous framerate dips PSVR1 will have, and every games running stutter-free @30fps-60fps at 4K on PS5, everybody will have forgotten about wanting to play stuttering < 30fps games running at only 1080p or less on PS4 and false 120hz with dips on PSVR.

Did I miss something? ;)

Last edited:
SMI is hyping up that they have "solved" initial problems of foveated rendering using 250hz eye tracking sensor. Tech will be demoed at CES.
http://uploadvr.com/smi-eye-tracking-foveated-rendering-exclusive/
They believe that 2nd gen of PC VR systems will all use foveated rendering.

edit - to bring this story back to PSVR, what are the challenges of creating v2 headset that feature this tech? To retain compatibility, they would need to offer two work presets, one "dumb" one for all legacy VR software that is asking for normal 1080p screen to display stuff, and one "advanced" one that turns on eye-tracking sensors. Display can stay 1080p or they can bump it to 1440p.

Last edited:
IMHO You can't compare PSVR to phones, phones are generally a free item you get with a phone contract which is why people upgrade every couple of years, I can assure you if people had to spend ~£300 every couple of years just to upgrade a phone they would not.

What is the latest ETA for PS5? I expected a shorter gap than PS3-PS4 but I've not kept up to speed, IMHO 3 years is too short for something that's been in development for so long (and cost Sony so much money)- especially considering the buying curve for the customer, for 3 (or 4) years you're talking about early adopters - the majority of units will be sold with just a couple years until PS5 and there will be the rumors to potentially put doubt into buyers minds potentially ruining a chance of a big take-up.

And I'm not suggesting PS5 support BC, just that PS5 supports PSVRv1 so devs don't have to make games for 2 completely different units. What's to say the PS5 'power' won't be able to replicate the 120hz trickery? Maybe the PSVR is actually already being considered for PS5 and the extra box included is just so it can be used for PS4? I fully expect a PSVRv2 if PSVRv1 makes money but all I'd expect is the games to run at a higher resolution...as said earlier - much like a TV...in fact an even better example might be PSTV which worked with PS3 but the PS4 had hardware to tie it all up neatly.

IMHO You can't compare PSVR to phones, phones are generally a free item you get with a phone contract which is why people upgrade every couple of years, I can assure you if people had to spend ~£300 every couple of years just to upgrade a phone they would not.
Not to get too off topic but you don't get the phone "free", you're subsiding the purchase over the period of the contract. Compare the costs of handset-free contracts verses handset-included contracts. You've been duped by network operator marketing, I'm afraid.

Given this, the phone comparison is entirely valid.

edit - to bring this story back to PSVR, what are the challenges of creating v2 headset that feature this tech? To retain compatibility, they would need to offer two work presets, one "dumb" one for all legacy VR software that is asking for normal 1080p screen to display stuff, and one "advanced" one that turns on eye-tracking sensors. Display can stay 1080p or they can bump it to 1440p.
The game would need two render paths. Probably not too taxing for a non-optimal solution, but why would devs bother? (economic argument) I guess if PC gets support, multiplats might.

Back