Sony Vita Games Thread

Well, I wouldn't go that far - Vita has less than PS3 graphics, but it is close and because it is a small(ish) handheld screen with a great dotpitch and contrast it will at times look better. Vita also has more memory, but in the end it won't have more RAM avialable than the PS3 I suspect simply because a bunch of that RAM is reserved for various OS features like being able to call up the browser mid-game, party chat, etc.

But yeah. Was a big fan of the old Rayman, although it spiked in difficulty at one point causing me to drop out, and going back to the old levels with new powers wasn't always that much fun either. I don't know what multiplayer functions the Vita version will have though, as I reckon the 4 player competitive co-op is a big draw for this game.

But the graphics for this particular game are not demanding enough to hold back the Vita version vs any of the others, and as a single player game I think I'd prefer to play it on the Vita myself as well. Of course, not having to choose and having it support the cross-play features would be even nicer. :p

I have a hard time believing some of this man.. I mean the PS3 OS can do most of this stuff with 56MB or so, and of course the 360 OS has a mere 32MB reserved.

Even with Party Chat (which can be done on the PS3 if you are PS+ if I recall?) and in-game music tracks.. I simply cannot fathom how this would exceed 64MB.

The only real question mark is the in-game browser, but it's not like the game itself is actively playing when you pull that up right? The 3DS itself has like a 32MB OS and can do in-game browser.

Do we have any real figures for this? In the other thread there were rumblings about stuff mentioned on Neogaf, but I havent' seen anything concrete..

There aren't really any good figures, and we actually know that at the moment, the browser cannot be in memory together with a game yet. But on the other hand, we do know that a lot of the OS features are actually Apps that load into memory, and that it will in fact keep several of these 'Apps' in memory at the same time - you can switch between your main game and several of the other Apps without any slowdown.

But I have no idea what kind of rules or guidelines Sony is currently using, other than that I'm pretty sure that it is easier to give memory back than to take it away. ;)

Would be interesting to learn more about it though. Stuff like ModNation Racers seems to have much better load-times, suggesting in part perhaps that they can benefit from keeping much more of their assets in memory than on PS3, but it's still hard to estimate whether that is because all of these assets are downscaled to take up less memory on Vita, or if it is because they have more memory available, or a combination of both. Other games like WipeOut have pretty significant load-times that are similar to the PS3 version or even slower.

I'm sure we'll find out more come GDC.

ya, doesn't it allow up to 6 apps to for multi tasking switching back and ford, if they lower that number maybe they can free up more memory. I don't think Vita does in game browser, you have to quit your game session to access the browser.; but Sony said they will patch that in the future FW. PS3 only does party text chat, not voice and its available for all users. Going back to the original speculation from the other topic. One of the dev shot from shinobido 2 says that 256mb ram for OS, if thats really the case then that means 1 CPU core +256mb ram is reserved, brings it to about ipad1 level of performance for other task? Then 128mb Vram + 256 mb system ram, which gives it 384 mb in total to work with for Vita games. Due to its resolution factor I think it should be enough to runs PS3 ports. Since texture can be 1/2 or even 1/4 of the size and geometry is also simpler.

Nevermind, I found them.

You crazy bastard ;)

Dyser.png

sy6Uf.png

9NBdh.jpg

Ok, so those images don't say a whole lot now do they? If anything, they seem to be how much the game is using versus the maximum amount of memory it has allocated at that time, and that maximum is different in the top shot ... the only consistent figure there seems to be VRAM. I don't think there's much we can learn from these shots really, unless perhaps the first shot is a kind of devmode that allows you to work with more RAM during development or something.

It's entirely possible that Vita OS leaves only 84MB VRAM available though, perhaps to keep some of the OS and App screens in VRAM?

But GDC isn't that far off, so I'm perfectly happy to hold further speculation till then. ;)

Gust's new game intrigues me more and more...

Ciel No Surge Has Online Play (Plus Watch Ion’s Hair Grow)
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/08/ciel-no-surge-has-online-play-plus-watch-ions-hair-grow/

As mentioned earlier, Gust’s PlayStation Vita game Ciel no Surge takes place in real time. This communication game has players interact with Ion, a mysterious girl who lost her memory. Depending on when you turn on your system you may see Ion eating a meal or sleeping.

Ion’s hair grows as time passes and she gets more talkative too. Players can also change Ion’s clothes and customize her look.

ya, I wonder if Sony is giving bend anymore budget or time to polish up Uncharted before it hits the store in EU and US.

Personally, that would surprise me, but who knows ... perhaps if they ever do implement a multi-player component for Uncharted Vita?

Meanwhile, this announcement for a new Zen Pinball table (and I was just playing the Paranormal table for the first time yesterday by the way, which I like so far) also indicates that Zen Pinball will get a Vita release that from the sound of things will be based on the 360's Zen Pinball 2 version. There will also be a platform update somewhere in May/June that will allow you to buy a table for one version, say PS3, and then you will have access to it on, say, your Vita and/or 3DS versions as well. Will be interesting if they pull off something like that.

For now though, excited for a Vita version, as this is the perfect type of game for the Vita for me.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...e-in-epic-quest-dlc-for-zen-pinball/#comments

Back