Sony Vita Games Thread

I am not sure your irritations are founded on reality ... the OS does not in fact take 256MB of RAM.

how much is it then?

You cannot have any games open while accessing the (simple) browser. The 96MB RAM iPhone 1 's OS did more at the same time and had a more complex browser as well (plus it had some memory to spare).
The Vita browser cannot be that convoluted and inefficient, so still, give it 100MB for the browser (even though it crashed constantly and appeared really laggy when browsing engadget for example).
Wipeout is not more complex than the PS3 version, plus the constant loading shows it uses limited ram. PS3 OS around wipout was at... 70MB? 250-70=170 MB.

The Vita had 512MB (+128MB VRAM) so if wipeout uses about 170MB and there is not enough memory to start a 100MB browser, then this could mean the OS is taking up 250MB though I predict it is even higher.
Btw this is all speculation but, so don't take it as 100% reality

how much is it then?

Not sure, but the 256MB rumor was based on a devshot of Lumines or some other game. I think I've seen other shots where Uncharted Vita is using more than 400MB.

You cannot have any games open while accessing the (simple) browser. The 96MB RAM iPhone 1 's OS did more at the same time and had a more complex browser as well (plus it had some memory to spare).

You actually can, if you open the link through Twitter. It even generously handles out-of-memory issues if you run into a barrier there, so they could have simply allowed the Browser to open along games - they clearly just haven't made up their mind where to go with this yet. iOS games are generally MUCH smaller in terms of RAM usage than big Vita games, partly because earlier iOS devices have 256MB of RAM to begin with.

I do think there are some limitations though that are different from iOS - the Vita doesn't ever suspend a big game to flash like iOS can, and guarantees a minimum amount of memory for big games at all times. So it is less flexible in terms of memory assignment for sure.

Not sure, but the 256MB rumor was based on a devshot of Lumines or some other game. I think I've seen other shots where Uncharted Vita is using more than 400MB.

You actually can, if you open the link through Twitter. It even generously handles out-of-memory issues if you run into a barrier there, so they could have simply allowed the Browser to open along games - they clearly just haven't made up their mind where to go with this yet. iOS games are generally MUCH smaller in terms of RAM usage than big Vita games, partly because earlier iOS devices have 256MB of RAM to begin with.

I do think there are some limitations though that are different from iOS - the Vita doesn't ever suspend a big game to flash like iOS can, and guarantees a minimum amount of memory for big games at all times. So it is less flexible in terms of memory assignment for sure.

It was that Ninja game. I forget the title.. But the RAM figures fluctuated between shots. Additionally the game looks like crap, so I don't think there's enough to conclusively say that the OS has 256MB reserved..

Hot Shots Golf Vita is heavily discounted right now. I believe it's 15€ or something like that on PSN right now.

Yeah, ModNation Racers too I think.

Trials of Montezuma or whatever the name is of that match-three game just got a pretty big update, with trophies, faster XP gathering, more lives, more crystals, more effects and everything. It's like playing a carnival at times, but in a good way. I got 2.4 million eventually yesterday and I could keep playing for a long time, as lives fill up faster too. Loving it so far! I'm considering buying some stuff from their store, not because I need it (I just won the 100,000 price and then 40,000 a day later), but just to say thanks to the developers (it's a free to play game after all).

I don't know if the update is up in the US yet, but it is in EU anyway.

As expected, we'll see a bunch of new updates in the coming week, but let's run a tab:

- Nico Nico has been released in the U.S. now as well and should also make its way to EU.
- Youtube is coming to Vita late June.
- Resistance Vita is out now. Review scores are pretty uneven (averaging around 6), but the general consensus seems to be that FPS controls and online works and is lag-free, so at the very least people are happy with the prospect of Vita being capable of the genre. So I guess many are now looking forward to Call of Duty and Killzone for Vita.
- New Little Kings Story will be downloadable in the US this summer
- Sly Cooper is announced for Vita and PS3 with cross-play
- Soul Sacrifice confirmed also for EU (was already confirmed for US)
- Guacamelee for PS3 and Vita
- Travel Bug, Ecolibrium and Imaginstruments announced for release *very soon* (free)
- Gravity Rush EU Demo is out
- Snapshot for Vita and PS3 (on PS3, it's a Move title)
- Project Evolution Soccer for Vita
- Playstation Plus for Vita coming soon
- Really Big Sky 2 for PS3 and Vita
(still missing some stuff, will add later)

As expected, we'll see a bunch of new updates in the coming week, but let's run a tab:

- Nico Nico has been released in the U.S. now as well and should also make its way to EU.
- Youtube is coming to Vita late June.
- Resistance Vita is out now. Review scores are pretty uneven (averaging around 6), but the general consensus seems to be that FPS controls and online works and is lag-free, so at the very least people are happy with the prospect of Vita being capable of the genre. So I guess many are now looking forward to Call of Duty and Killzone for Vita.
- New Little Kings Story will be downloadable in the US this summer
- Sly Cooper is announced for Vita and PS3 with cross-play
- Soul Sacrifice confirmed also for EU (was already confirmed for US)
- Guacamelee for PS3 and Vita
- Travel Bug, Ecolibrium and Imaginstruments announced for release *very soon* (free)
- Gravity Rush EU Demo is out
- Snapshot for Vita and PS3 (on PS3, it's a Move title)
- Project Evolution Soccer for Vita
- Playstation Plus for Vita coming soon
- Really Big Sky 2 for PS3 and Vita
(still missing some stuff, will add later)

I just got Resistance and have had a quick blast. It's a technically competent shooter, as in the basic mechanics, jump, crouch, cover, peek, aim and shoot are there and work very well. Even the touch components are well integrated but it does feel that they have slowed down combat to account for the extra time needed to touch the screen.

The most annoying thing so far is the music and sfx. The guns just sound wrong and the music only plays in sections where it's not really needed.

A bit like the original Resistance on the PS3 it shows it can be done, it's just missing that magic that R3 and to some extent R2 have.

Resistance is not a bad first attempt at an FPS on the Vita.

As BoardBonobo mentioned the FPS mechanics are pretty solid, my only gripe is with the visuals:

- Bland Level design
- Below average textures (compared to Uncharted Golden Abyss)
- Visible seams between polys
- Average models apart from the guns.

That being said the lighting and shadow maps are not too bad.

A fair effort by Nihlistic Software on a new platform IMHO.

AI is a bit limited so the Single Player isn't hugely exciting. The Multiplayer is pretty good (and fun) they just need to patch the melee animations and death sounds:)

Diablo 3 on Vita would be too good to be true, though I really want a dungeon crawler ( a good one) on the system.

Yeah, it's a total guess, but I wanted it on record on the very slim chance it comes true. It's the kind of killer app Sony could really use on Vita and I think it would be a sure fire money maker for Activision Blizzard.

Yeah, it's a total guess, but I wanted it on record on the very slim chance it comes true. It's the kind of killer app Sony could really use on Vita and I think it would be a sure fire money maker for Activision Blizzard.

If it would work on the short term, good chance that it would be through Gaikai or something like that. But that doesn't seem likely. We're already getting Warrior's Lair or something like that, which is probably a good enough resemblance, and perhaps if they consider the Vita a viable platform, they could announce Diablo 3 for Vita for next year or later, together with the PS3 and 360 versions.

But considering the way Diablo 3 is set up with its permanent server side connection, that doesn't really sound like something suitable for the Vita. There'd have to be some major changes. I actually have more hope that Warrior's Lair (aka Ruin) will be pretty good, and I love that it will support PS3 / Vita cross-play/saves, etc. Much more faith in that game being optimised for Vita than Diablo 3 could be on any short term, and they've been working on Warrior's Lair for a while now.

I think Vita would get an offline mode for mobile play, requiring you to sync you character back to battle.net when you're in range of wi-fi again. And the Vita hardware is capable enough for a native version. There's no reason to believe they just had the idea. Announce now, launch this fall. Blizzard has been working on a console version for years. They could have been experimenting on iOS hardware for a long time, and Vita hardware is similar enough.

FWIW, retail listings seem to have let slip a PS3 version bringing my prediction that much closer. I don't think there will be a 360 version due to Microsoft's inflexibility regarding Live.

Diablo 3 on Vita would be too good to be true, though I really want a dungeon crawler ( a good one) on the system.

I'm actually much more curious about the dungeon crawler Sony is making in-house.
Diablo 3, at least in its current state, is not controller friendly at all (even though it seems that way at first) It's also the world's most frustrating slot machine.

Almost finished Resistance now, on the very last big fight. It has been a very good experience, not much of a Resistance vibe until the later levels and the AI is pretty dumb. The gfx quality picks up greatly in the later segments of the game, more particle effects, better lighting and more varied textures.

As a first effort on a brand new platform it does the job very well, the whole fps experience translates very well onto the handheld. Sometimes I found myself wishing the screen was a little bigger but that is about it. Looking forward to more like it, though Gravity Rush will be next.

Back