Sony: PS2 Online = PS3 Online

dukmahsik

Banned
Harrison on PS3 Online

As we suspected months ago in our interview with Epic’s Mark Rein, it looks like Sony will in fact go with an open architecture for its online model. What does that mean, exactly? Basically, the way that the PlayStation 2’s online model operates will be applied to the PlayStation 3. While Harrison admitted that the Xbox Live online gaming service is one of the things that Microsoft has done well, he said that Sony’s plan is to let publishers establish their own means for getting consumers online and to let the publishers interact with consumers directly instead of using Sony as some kind of buffer for the online experience.

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/PlaystationMagazine/2005/11/01/1019152?extID=10026

Sorry didn't see a thread on this earlier.

well I'm all for free online play
me personaly, i wouldnt want to pay 10$ a month just to have an extra service lik, IM mode, ranking etc.. but hey thats me

dukmahsik said:
Harrison on PS3 Online

As we suspected months ago in our interview with Epic’s Mark Rein, it looks like Sony will in fact go with an open architecture for its online model. What does that mean, exactly? Basically, the way that the PlayStation 2’s online model operates will be applied to the PlayStation 3. While Harrison admitted that the Xbox Live online gaming service is one of the things that Microsoft has done well, he said that Sony’s plan is to let publishers establish their own means for getting consumers online and to let the publishers interact with consumers directly instead of using Sony as some kind of buffer for the online experience.

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/PlaystationMagazine/2005/11/01/1019152?extID=10026

Sorry didn't see a thread on this earlier.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23089&page=4&highlight=GDCE

hey69 said:
well I'm all for free online play
me personaly, i wouldnt want to pay 10$ a month just to have an extra service lik, IM mode, ranking etc.. but hey thats me

$10 a month? I pay 5 bucks for Live

XBL is just another way of scamming users out of their money. There's nothing XBL does that other games don't offer for free. If MS had done some actual WORK, such as hosting games on their own servers etc, then that might have been something one might pay for, but I still wouldn't want to fork out for game hosting of a game I might not even own, or isn't interested in playing online.

The whole XBL concept is dubious IMO, but I've said all this before and shan't be repeating myself. ;)

multiplayer online is the only way I want to play anymore.

I am rarely ever interested in single player campaigns now that I have had a taste of a solid, easy to use, multiplayer console system gaming.

Guden Oden said:
XBL is just another way of scamming users out of their money. There's nothing XBL does that other games don't offer for free. If MS had done some actual WORK, such as hosting games on their own servers etc, then that might have been something one might pay for, but I still wouldn't want to fork out for game hosting of a game I might not even own, or isn't interested in playing online.

The whole XBL concept is dubious IMO, but I've said all this before and shan't be repeating myself. ;)

Ummm, MS has spent almost $2 Billion on the XBL service. If it was so easy, and could be done for free, why isn't Sony doing it then? Obviously it's not so easy and definitely not free to implement.

Tap In said:
multiplayer online is the only way I want to play anymore.

I am rarely ever interested in single player campaigns now that I have had a taste of a solid, easy to use, multiplayer console system gaming.

Agreed, Multiplayer online player has really tanted my tastes for gameplay. I mean, whne the AI compared to the game to compared to Real live people who I can flame, insult, or make a mockery of as I'm shooting their body and dancing around it (Ok, I'm talking about Socom 3), is soo addictive....

Although, I Purchased Grandia II and I'm falling in love with it :)

-Josh378

Guden Oden said:

Have you ever used XBL? Being able to see which your friends are online and what theyre playing, send them an IM, etc. is fantastic. Just the limited funcitonality that was available on the current XBL service was great.

Being able to build a community, easily connect with friends and gamers of similar skill levels is also huge advantage.

In short, I couldnt disagre more.

This is a report based on the GDCE comments - which you can read for yourself in the thread already linked to, rather than OPM's paraphrasing (which is slightly misleading imo). There's nothing new here, or nothing you can't read in more precise "in context" form elsewhere. Also, misleading thread title.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Sony have adopted the PROVEN pc method of on-line play??? Giving developers there own choice meens the dev's are not restricted to do what they want and that meens more dev's will give more support due to the freedom.

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
So Sony have adopted the PROVEN pc method of on-line play??? Giving developers there own choice meens the dev's are not restricted to do what they want and that meens more dev's will give more support due to the freedom.

and how has PC online gaming evolved in the last 5 years compared to Xbox Live?

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:

If that was the case why are there more Xbox games than PS2 games online :?:

pakpassion said:
and how has PC online gaming evolved in the last 5 years compared to Xbox Live?

Does it reallty matter????? PC is the biggest gaming market there is and it has survived and grown WITH-OUT these fancy friend list's ETC... that XBL has.

Sony has given Dev's UNLIMITED freedom for there online section's of game's, and im sure the dev's can concentrate on inovative idea's with it.

Guden Oden said:

QFT

if you guys remember the sony online plan email that was going around....

Chat rooms
Buddy list
Single identifier across all games
Strict etiquette and rule enforcement
Downloadable content
Updates for sports rosters
Other updates
Voice headsets for some games
Instant Message capabilites

you can have an öpen system and still have a lot more features than ps2.

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
Sony has given Dev's UNLIMITED freedom for there online section's of game's, and im sure the dev's can concentrate on inovative idea's with it.

Nope. See people don't really realize what MS has done with XBL. MS basically created the majority of the net-code for devs to put their games online. Giving devs more time to focus on other things. MS also hosts servers for the games that need them. And since putting a game online is essentially free for devs on Xbox, more games have the feature.

Back