1000+ PS2 titles BC with PS3 for European Launch

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by djskribbles, Mar 1, 2007.

1. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

http://www.threespeech.com/

2. infinity4

Veteran

how many games came out on ps2 so far??? doesn't look bad as far as they are latest (in last 2-3 years) and decent games...

3. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

according to wiki, there were ~2300 PS2 games released in Europe as of Sep. 2006. so yes, over 1000 is quite good imo.

4. Xenus

Veteran

Yeah and for all we know there could be another 100+ or so that have a glitch that still allows the game to run but might be a little annoying. EG. sound cutting out in cutscenes or something stupid like that.

5. NovemberMike

Regular

How many of these are Barbie's Adventures though? It would be interesting to see if the least technically impressive titles are the ones that got in, or if they got all of the big titles...

6. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

For all we know the 1000 games could also be "glitched".

Kinda like more or less all the titles on Xbox 360's BC list have problems with something or another

7. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

i think sony tweaks the ps3 to be compatible with certain games. in other words, sony decides which games are compatible. if this is the case, they'll probably do the more popular titles first.

8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Unlikely. They are emulating PS2's CPU. They'll start was the simplest emulation to just get it working, and include better emulation of the more obscure functions later with updates. That means the games running on simpler engines are likely to be more compatible. Those that really stretch the hardware are more likely to have problems. eg. VU0 was often overlooked. Sony can thus ignore emulating VU0 and have a lot of titles not care, but the really effective titles like RnC that used VU0 will come unstuck.

It's not emulation on a game by game basis. They may be able to pin some high-end titles to a few obscure features, and implementing them successfully enables a set of top-end titles. But overall, I expect compatibility to be on the less interesting titles at first.

Acert93 likes this.
  9. NovemberMike

Regular

What I was thinking. Case by case emulation would ensure that the top titles are working, but it seems that they are trying to have a more general emulation...

10. infinity4

Veteran

40% BC is not as bad as we first expected :lol:

11. weaksauce

Regular

Does the emulation upscale and AA the games?

12. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

GS is still in the kit. It is EE that is being emulated.

13. Bad_Boy

Bad_Boy god of war.
    Veteran

Theres a rumor going around (started by the same site that broke the warhawk psn rumor) saying that they will have some PS1/PS2 games upscaled to 720p/1080i later in the year. I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but it sounds possible.