Sony: PS2 Online = PS3 Online

Synergy34 said:
Read the disclaimer :p

Seriously, online games will have glitches in the normal game code that people find and you cant stop people from plug pulling. Not the point. Talking about tweaking game code to allow cheats while online. SOCOM had people adding nade launches, invincability, machine gun sniper rifles. Halo 2 has the same typ of thing going on. Clans playing in matches that have cheats that make the other team not carry weapons or fire them.

AND

fearsomepirate

I really have no idea how they do it. But i've seen it and I won't play the game anymore because of it.

I have a friend programmer that bought an xbox for just cheating...he's created a cheat software to bypass MS's security and hack Live. Also, if you really wanted to know, there are CD disc software out on the internet that hackers are SELLING that allows you to cheat....Socom III on the other hand, Zipper is doing an hands-on approach. :)

If you have an account with Zipper (verify your account), and your caught gltiching/hacking/cursing or anything else that bothers other players, they can report you (on the game forums) and you will lose your account. People may hate the verification process, but it allows Zipper to handle the situation more closely and more easier.....

Socom III may well be the first MAJOR online console game to really push the "play right or get banned" issue.

-Josh378

dukmahsik said:
(im sure that's why they've included a robust way to play their psp and DS games online lol)

Do share your experience with DS online..

Nintendo is being exceptionally proactive about getting people online with DS. There was the McDonald's deal for free wifi, and they're about to announce a rollout across Europe, including what looks to be a very impressive deal with BT and Cloud in the UK. On the software side, the system sounds very neat indeed..I suggest you read up on it if you haven't already (or if you have, perhaps you can explain your comments a little more).

And this is all preparation for Revolution too.

Online Mario Kart on the DS will be heaven. I just need to get a DS first :LOL:. I'm honestly considering it now.

BlueTsunami said:
Online Mario Kart on the DS will be heaven. I just need to get a DS first :LOL:. I'm honestly considering it now.

Yes, I'm trying to decide....PSP or DS for college :(

-Josh378

Josh378 said:
Yes, I'm trying to decide....PSP or DS for college :(

-Josh378

Hard choices there. I have a PSP (got it when it first came to the US). GTA just came out for the PSP and has Ad-Hoc Mulitplayer (but theres ways around that and being able to tunnel the Ad-Hoc over the net and playing with other people over the net can be done with 3rd party software).

The DS is just fun though (not that the PSP isn't). I played Tiger Woods for a while and the touchscreen function was more enjoyable than I had thought it would be. Although, I can see how it would be a pain in the ass when used for movement.

BlueTsunami said:
Hard choices there. I have a PSP (got it when it first came to the US). GTA just came out for the PSP and has Ad-Hoc Mulitplayer (but theres ways around that and being able to tunnel the Ad-Hoc over the net and playing with other people over the net can be done with 3rd party software).

The DS is just fun though (not that the PSP isn't). I played Tiger Woods for a while and the touchscreen function was more enjoyable than I had thought it would be. Although, I can see how it would be a pain in the ass when used for movement.

(looks at the $250)

Must decide before Jan 26th......

-Josh378

Josh378 said:
I have a friend programmer that bought an xbox for just cheating...he's created a cheat software to bypass MS's security and hack Live. Also, if you really wanted to know, there are CD disc software out on the internet that hackers are SELLING that allows you to cheat....Socom III on the other hand, Zipper is doing an hands-on approach. :)

If you have an account with Zipper (verify your account), and your caught gltiching/hacking/cursing or anything else that bothers other players, they can report you (on the game forums) and you will lose your account. People may hate the verification process, but it allows Zipper to handle the situation more closely and more easier.....

Socom III may well be the first MAJOR online console game to really push the "play right or get banned" issue.

-Josh378

Dam, no offense but I hate your friend :p

And at first I was sort of miffed about the Credit Card Verification but I quickly changed that opinon based on what you just said about it.

Plus it helps keep some of the annoying 10 year olds out as well :)

My suggestion is the PSP, there are fun games for it but one of the best uses I have found is actually as an emulator, its annoying carrying my SNES/MegaDrive/Amiga everywhere I go, the PSP is cool, it has SCuuM and Snes etc emulators that allows you to have a whole retro library in your back pocket (nb: not encouraging piracy, roms of games you do not have are illegal to own). The DS looks interesting but it feels like a toy, whipping out the PSP you feel like its quality, dunno if its just me but I like the look, feel and experience with the PSP (and I just finished Super Metroid again!).

Synergy34 said:
Dam, no offense but I hate your friend :p

And at first I was sort of miffed about the Credit Card Verification but I quickly changed that opinon based on what you just said about it.

Plus it helps keep some of the annoying 10 year olds out as well :)

Yes, it feels soo peaceful talk to mature people without listening to Mickey Mouse's voice cursing me out because I didn't "follow" him when he got killed.

-Josh378

new article:
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000813066433/#comments

Suicide. If reports are true, then Sony is entering the next-generation battle without a central online gaming service. What? Why? Who—

According to OPM (via GamesFirst), online gaming on the PlayStation 3 will be left to the discretion of individual publishers—just like on the PS2. While some may argue that this gives publishers greater freedom to design a unique online experience, it also makes it difficult for Sony to control the quality of that experience. And from a gamer’s standpoint, it’s a real pain in the neck, since each publisher will require its own user account (and possibly fees).

With Microsoft blazing trails, and Nintendo showing promise, it’s hard to believe that Sony is so lackluster about jumpstarting a centralized online service. There’s no doubt that online gaming will be an essential component of next-generation consoles. Both Microsoft and Nintendo appear committed to making that a user-friendly experience. Sony on the other hand, well, it may have just turned its back on us…

dukmahsik said:
new article:

Suicide. If reports are true, then Sony is entering the next-generation battle without a central online gaming service. What? Why? Who—

According to OPM (via GamesFirst), online gaming on the PlayStation 3 will be left to the discretion of individual publishers—just like on the PS2. While some may argue that this gives publishers greater freedom to design a unique online experience, it also makes it difficult for Sony to control the quality of that experience. And from a gamer’s standpoint, it’s a real pain in the neck, since each publisher will require its own user account (and possibly fees).…

Uhm have you missed the whole thread? That's what the thread was about to begin with!!

Josh378 said:
Yes, it feels soo peaceful talk to mature people without listening to Mickey Mouse's voice cursing me out because I didn't "follow" him when he got killed.

-Josh378

You havent lived until you've been called a "nword-lover" by a 12 year old Grand Wizard in training during a game of Halo.

dukmahsik said:
new article:

And from a gamer’s standpoint, it’s a real pain in the neck, since each publisher will require its own user account.

I never understood what the problem was here? All this stuff is saved on your memory card.

I don't need to remember anything. I go to play Burnout 3 or SSX3 online and the games just access my profile saved on the memory card.

I want to play Killzone, it just accesses the memory card.

I have to set up an account with each publisher, but how hard is that? You only have to do it once for each publisher. In fact I only have two accounts one for EA and one for Sony.

Nick Laslett said:
I never understood what the problem was here? All this stuff is saved on your memory card.

I don't need to remember anything. I go to play Burnout 3 or SSX3 online and the games just access my profile saved on the memory card.

I want to play Killzone, it just accesses the memory card.

I have to set up an account with each publisher, but how hard is that? You only have to do it once for each publisher. In fact I only have two accounts one for EA and one for Sony.

where do you save your new levels, cars, features, etc?

XBLive has now become the "X-factor".... it didn't mean much last time, but it may become a major driver of the console over thenext 5 years IMO.

I think it's important to keep in mind that the PSM article is a speculative piece that deals with PS3s online tactics from a "glass is half empty" point of view. The article at one point even states,
If Sony… at least attempts to have some sort of unifying structure…
So even they admit that there is the possibility of a unified structure and in turn perhaps a unified or central interface. We just haven't been provided a lot of the specifics.

The fact that Sony sent out a survey to determine important aspects and priorities in online gaming suggests that Sony is taking online gaming seriously and will implement some aspects of xboxlive.

I think the key here is Sony's determination to allow the publishers to have an advantage in maintaining an 'open platform' as opposed to MS's 'controlled platform' while trying to achieve other aspects of xlive, such as single ID across games, cheat monitoring, and locating friends playing online. (see the survey)

I also think that Sony is very much aware that charging for online game play, while definitely affordable, is a deterrent which will drive away many from trying online gaming. If payments are made online, most people I know are phobic about making payments through the internet and many kids would have trouble getting authorization from non-computer savvy parents to use their credit card account online let alone shell out money for a console for their kid and then hassle with a monthly subscription fee.

MS obviously realizes this initial deterrent exists and to their credit, I believe they are including a free trial of xlive with the purchase of a new X360. This is a great tactic to lure those in who are a little too timid to test the water. However, if Sony can somehow manage to have a unifying structure with a decent centralized user friendly interface and keep it free this might be just as good of an approach or even better.

-aldo

dukmahsik said:
I am saying sony and ninty are downplaying next gen's online's importance. read my original post pls.

Well they're not. Read what the corporate leaders are saying. Nintendo is all "Wi-Fi" this and "virtual console" that. Much of Kutargi's weird, pie-in-the-sky BS is about what PS3 will be doing online("Cell storage" and whatnot), but at least it shows online isn't something he's downplaying. It's pretty safe to say that all 3 regard net play as an integral part of the experience, and they're all going about it different ways.

Back