Sony PlayStation Showcase [2021-09-09]

While I don’t know the details around Spider-Man, once it was given to Sony, all other versions of spider man games were removed from stores and existence on Xbox One. So it’s not so straight forward.
Nonsense. I can see Lego Marvel Super Heroes (LMSH), LMSH2, Lego Marvel Avengers (and demos for each game) in the Xbox store on my Series X. Their prices range between £7.99 and £12.49.

All of Warner Bros. games with licensed Spiderman not only continue to be available on the Xbox store, but many included Game Pass. :rolleyes:. Activision's Spiderman licence expired, i.e. they stopped paying so they can't sell their old games any more. Warner Bros are obviously still paying Marvel. Sony's licence has never been exclusive. It is, however, probably quite expensive.

Nonsense. I can see Lego Marvel Super Heroes (LMSH), LMSH2, Lego Marvel Avengers (and demos for each game) in the Xbox store on my Series X. Their prices range between £7.99 and £12.49.

All of Warner Bros. games with licensed Spiderman not only continue to be available on the Xbox store, but many included Game Pass. :rolleyes:. Activision's Spiderman licence expired, i.e. they stopped paying so they can't sell their old games any more. Warner Bros are obviously still paying Marvel. Sony's licence has never been exclusive. It is, however, probably quite expensive.
I meant specifically amazing spider man the games, I can see my mistake above when I said versions however. But if activision let their license expire than it would explain why it came off the Xbox stores.

From the Gamebiz article however:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-15-spider-man-leads-marvels-epic-new-console-strategy

"We've had a long history of success with Activision, and we still have a great relationship with them," Ong said. "But the future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac. We're delighted about this partnership, and that's something that's going to continue forward. With [regard to] other console partners, stay tuned. There's many more interesting additional things to come. But Activision is in the past, with regards to Spider-Man."

So while Marvel owns the rights to Spider Man games, as they did when Activision had the rights to make it, I think Sony and Insomniac have the exclusive rights to Spider-Man console games; just not the character itself. At least in some ways, it reads like this. They don't have the rights, but they have an agreement with Marvel in some fashion here.

Second article:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...games-why-they-dont-make-em-like-they-used-to
"We rely less on contractual obligation because that's really a poor tool to determine behavior," Ong said. "It's about what's mutually beneficial. That's a huge part of our job, to act as a portfolio manager. How do we make sure that games are differentiated enough that partners aren't harmed by other games, and that consumers aren't confused? A couple generations ago there was a desire to do a lot of content. And now we've gone to less and less. It's been a conscious decision to go bigger and go fewer, to avoid oversaturation or consumer confusion. It should be an easy decision-making process for [fans]. There should be no confusion about which one's better. If there's one, it's going to be good. That's the promise behind all of it."
Looking at this quote, they trust insomniac here to make great spider man games, and they are Sony owned, so I don't expect another Spider Man game to be approved by another developer, meaning the likelihood of multi-platform Spider Man is likely out. Activision held the last exclusive rights for 13 years.

Last edited:
I meant specifically amazing spider man the games, I can see my mistake above when I said versions however. But if activision let their license expire than it would explain why it came off the Xbox stores.

From the Gamebiz article however:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-15-spider-man-leads-marvels-epic-new-console-strategy

So while Marvel owns the rights to Spider Man games, as they did when Activision had the rights to make it, I think Sony and Insomniac have the exclusive rights to Spider-Man console games; just not the character itself. At least in some ways, it reads like this. They don't have the rights, but they have an agreement with Marvel in some fashion here.

Second article:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...games-why-they-dont-make-em-like-they-used-to

Looking at this quote, they trust insomniac here to make great spider man games, and they are Sony owned, so I don't expect another Spider Man game to be approved by another developer, meaning the likelihood of multi-platform Spider Man is likely out. Activision held the last exclusive rights for 13 years.
Yeah.
Multiplatform Spiderman game probably not. They trust Imsomniacs great work, so Spidey will be exclusive at least temporarily. It doesnt seem like its a special agreement that makes Spidey exclusive for an agreed amount of years on PS. It looks like an organic consequence of Insomniac choosing a Marvel character, being REALLY good at it and Marvel putting faith in them as a result. Spiderman being featured in another multiplatform game is a possibility. Can we really have two main Spiderman games at the same time? I dont think Marvel (or any business involved) would want that.
So it is interesting that Insomniac is also making a Wolverine game now. I dont think there is a contractual agreement that sets Wolverine under PS, but I do think the fact that a Sony dev is making it as a consequence will establish businesswise Wolverine main games as PS exclusive until Insomniac doesnt want to make any more wolverine gamws and another company decides to take the reigns.
a Microsoft dev can just pick any hero for an XBOX game if Marvel sees their work as adding value to a franchise and if its successfull that might make that characters main games organically and temprarily exclusive

Sony didn't show me anything I cared about more than I already did at this conference (KOTOR will come to Xbox later, don't like Wolverine, Spider-Man 2 was a given, as was God of War [2 games I will genuinely miss on Xbox]), but I'm sure it was well-received by PS fans.

I'm somewhat surprised that experienced journalists were fooled by the KOTOR "PS5 console exclusive at launch" talk by Sony, which they truncated to "Sony exclusive" for some reason. Click bait reasons, I imagine.

Sony didn't show me anything I cared about more than I already did at this conference
That's because it was all sequels and remakes. This is an industry problem and not a Sony specific one of course, but there were maybe 3 things they showed that weren't directly tied to an existing IP, gaming or otherwise.

That's because it was all sequels and remakes. This is an industry problem and not a Sony specific one of course, but there were maybe 3 things they showed that weren't directly tied to an existing IP, gaming or otherwise.

Well, 4 things off the top of my head. Project Eve, Tchia, Forspoken, and Ghostwire: Tokyo. The first 2 were the best two from the showcase for me. The other two I'm interested in, but I need to see more.

The rest of them are either games within existing IP or IP that's been around for years now. Bloodhunt maybe could go there as well, but it's in the Vampire: The Masquerade setting and I'm totally not interested in it.

Regards,
SB

Sony didn't show me anything I cared about more than I already did at this conference (KOTOR will come to Xbox later, don't like Wolverine, Spider-Man 2 was a given, as was God of War [2 games I will genuinely miss on Xbox]), but I'm sure it was well-received by PS fans.

I'm somewhat surprised that experienced journalists were fooled by the KOTOR "PS5 console exclusive at launch" talk by Sony, which they truncated to "Sony exclusive" for some reason. Click bait reasons, I imagine.

I'm not a huge sony fan so I try and watch what I say in threads. But I think sony is going to start facing the issues that Microsoft had from sony fans. Everyone was saying well xbox doesn't have exclusives cause they come to the pc . Well I am starting to feel that way with sony stuff. So much is now starting to hit the pc that I have even less interest in. If porting to pc gets faster I don't mind waiting a year or two to play a game . Esp single player games as the story doesn't really change. Not that there are many playstation titles I want to play to begin with. But one day demon souls remake will come to the pc !

I will say that Sony at least showed that they weren't standing still while MS was ramping up to 30 game studios. PS brand is still the market leader.

However sony has the movie rights to Spiderman in perpetuity and through that there was a merchandising deal that they renegotiated a few years ago . Sony has no rights to wolverine or x-men in anyway , that was fox but now disney owns fox.

Well, it’s a lease, Sony is forced by contract to release a movie every 3-4 years, if they don’t the rights go back to Marvel.

Well, it’s a lease, Sony is forced by contract to release a movie every 3-4 years, if they don’t the rights go back to Marvel.

Is it 3-4 year , regardless of length of time the movies even the ones slightly disappointing in box office do well

Is it 3-4 year , regardless of length of time the movies even the ones slightly disappointing in box office do well
It is widely accepted that this was renegotiated between Sony and Disney to get Spider-Man into the MCU. Modern Marvel value quality over quantity and if they want to continue to keep Spider-Man in the MCU, they may need to pace these things out because the Spider-man's continuity is now part of MCUs. The team writing Spider-Man are doing a pretty good job is keeping the Sony films into the contuinitu without stepping too much into the mainstream Avengers films but who knows what will happen going forward with lead characters like Tony Stark, Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanov disappearing.

Regardless of anything, I found the original source back in the day but you can seach for it on google. There is a max time of period between release date and the production of the next movie.

Back