Sony PlayStation Paris Games Week 2017 conference

Too much games? There is one missing... Bloodborne 2
Takes time. Sony likes to let their projects not have a tight deadlines. With more first party always going another game can always take the spotlight. Maybe E3?

Takes time. Sony likes to let their projects not have a tight deadlines. With more first party always going another game can always take the spotlight. Maybe E3?

yeah, like the last guardian that took ages to develop, etc.

i wonder why microsoft cant do that. like when they ax platinum games' dragon game. concerned it wont break even? sony seems fine with games taking ages to develop

yeah, like the last guardian that took ages to develop, etc.

i wonder why microsoft cant do that. like when they ax platinum games' dragon game. concerned it wont break even? sony seems fine with games taking ages to develop
Business is business. Sony closed the Driveclub developers after all, so it does happen to everyone. MS clearly has a different vision and strategy when it comes for first parties, compared to Sony.

Honestly, TLG and its development hell made NO business sense, any way you look at it.

Business is business. Sony closed the Driveclub developers after all, so it does happen to everyone. MS clearly has a different vision and strategy when it comes for first parties, compared to Sony.

Honestly, TLG and its development hell made NO business sense, any way you look at it.
Sometimes I think of it as, just having a larger game rotation. Let each of your studios have 4 year rotations, and just have more studios. Its certainly more expensive to have so many studios, but it's been working for them for some time now.
And sort of like any province/state type countries, there are going to be some states that make so much revenue and others less, and there will be some funds ultimately used to cover those losses, but as a whole, they are better together as a result of doing so.
Other publishers are starting to learn now, that way there aren't titles coming every other year etc.

Hopefully MS learns this lesson as well. You need to use the funds from your big earners to fund the smaller titles that make no money for the sake of having something different and special.

As we've seen in the movie business, there is such a thing as spending untold amounts of money you'll never make back, on projects whose sole purpose is to be good and get awards.

And this in turn may lead to financial benefits further down the road. If only indirectly. It tells me that Sony cares about the little guy. And it tells me they care about having a diverse portfolio. In the end that's really the biggest reason why you'd buy one console over the other.
I also don't think Sony spent anywhere near the amount of cash on the project people like to imagine in their heads. The thing barely got off the ground in the first place, and then it was essentially dead for half a decade. I'd imagine they probably had a skeleton crew on the project at most for the majority of the time. If they had anyone at all that is. Then they expanded it during the final two years of development. This wasn't some 250 million dollar debacle like, let's say, The Lone Ranger or John Carter of Mars were for Disney.

In the end that's really the biggest reason why you'd buy one console over the other.
no, not necessarily.
Exclusives still make up a fraction of the total number of games out there. If 3P games are making up 90% of your library, it would also be understandable for someone to invest in the machine that plays 3P games the best.

it is. I guess simplified:
go too far you become Nintendo, go too little you become Xbox. Have the mixture just right and you are Playstation.
Yes I think the Playstation gets a lot of exclusives and at the same time all the third party support you could wish for.
I also don't think Nintendo makes a lot more exclusives than Sony. It's just that they dont have the same third party support and it is a kind of unique case. Perhaps it is the image of Nintendo that helps its exclusives get such a highlight that they sell more than if they were released on a console like let's say the Playstation.

Do we have any evidence that there was “development hell”? I thought development ceased and they temporarily moved to different projects while they waiting for technology to catch up with their vision.

Yes I think the Playstation gets a lot of exclusives and at the same time all the third party support you could wish for.
I also don't think Nintendo makes a lot more exclusives than Sony. It's just that they dont have the same third party support and it is a kind of unique case. Perhaps it is the image of Nintendo that helps its exclusives get such a highlight that they sell more than if they were released on a console like let's say the Playstation.
Someone more knowledgeable than me will give you a much better response than I ;) my last Nintendo system was NES. I've always generalized Nintendo as being highly 1P skewed only when it came to home consoles (since wii), but a complete ecosystem for their handhelds. I'm not actually sure if they publish more games than Sony. It would be an interesting metric.

Back