Sony PlayStation cross-platform game strategy

I should clarify it better. Do we consider games developed by MS to be 1st party games on Windows? Do we even consider 1st, 2nd, 3rd party when it comes to games on PC's? In the context of consoles it makes sense. If we do consider 1st, 2nd, 3rd party for PC games then how do we define that, by the target OS? I suppose the lines will get blurring as Game Pass continues to gain traction.

Yeah, how it's done on console isn't completely applicable to PC.

On PC, I view it like this. Instead of being on a platform holder basis, it's a on a publisher basis.

So, Microsoft has some titles it developes with in house studios (1st party) and some that are developed by others (2nd and 3rd party, depending on whether MS owns the IP and has control). Likewise for EA which has inhouse developed titles and also publishes titles by others (2nd and 3rd party).

So, similar but different from consoles.

Regards,
SB

I remember when PS5 launch was aired and they had a “typo” with Demon Souls PC. I recall them (Sony) saying it was a mistake and it wouldn’t come. Hehe the interwebs blamed some intern or something but the rest were curious how that got by editing. But anyway.

Here we are, at the dawn of change with even more rumours . Interesting times.

I remember when PS5 launch was aired and they had a “typo” with Demon Souls PC. I recall them (Sony) saying it was a mistake and it wouldn’t come. Hehe the interwebs blamed some intern or something but the rest were curious how that got by editing. But anyway.

Here we are, at the dawn of change with even more rumours . Interesting times.
Even tough probably we will see it on pc it for sure was typo as also there was „not available on other consoles for a limited time”

The PS5 Director's Cut has the Playstaion Studios logo on it, which is only only supposed to apply to first party games, even.
I second this, Sony gave Kojima the engine and the money to do what he wants, Sony still controls the game, they allowed it on PC because this aligned with their plans to release games on PC, if Kojima controls the game he would have published it on Xbox too, but Sony didn't allow it.

DS was planned as a PC game even before he made the Playstation Deal.
If he would release it on Xbox is another story.

Same list (that went down in the meantime) also said Uncharted was coming for PC 1 day after Ghost of Tsushima, and Avowed 1 day after Starfield.

It's either:
a) both Sony and Microsoft got very, very stupid on getting their own games to cannibalize on each other;
b) those are just placeholders, like the last "leak" from nvidia.
probably mixed true info and placeholders, wasn't gta remaster and gow pc leaked earlier from geforce now database ?

I second this, Sony gave Kojima the engine and the money to do what he wants, Sony still controls the game, they allowed it on PC because this aligned with their plans to release games on PC, if Kojima controls the game he would have published it on Xbox too, but Sony didn't allow it.

Then why didn't Sony publish it on Steam? :???: The publisher takes the royal share of the retail profit so spending time/effort to arrange a port and not recoup most of the $27m the game took?

Sure, that makes perfect sense. :nope: Not publishing on Xbox may have been part of the engine sharing deal, or maybe that just isn't an Xbox build of the Decimal engine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Making an Xbox build is much easier than making a PC build. If the studio truly had control of the IP, they would have done it in a heart beat.
AGAIN.. If Sony own Death Stranding, why didn't Sony publish Death Stranding on Steam? The publisher takes the royal share of the retail profit so spending time/effort to arrange a port and not recoup most of the $27m the game took? Sony are dong this for the money.

Honest debate requires not ignoring inconvenient facts.

Then why didn't Sony publish it on Steam? :???: The publisher takes the royal share of the retail profit so spending time/effort to arrange a port and not recoup most of the $27m the game took?

Sure, that makes perfect sense. :nope: Not publishing on Xbox may have been part of the engine sharing deal, or maybe that just isn't an Xbox build of the Decimal engine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This isn't all that uncommon. There are Capcom games that were published by Ubisoft, Sega games published by Majesco and Acclaim, etc. There were rumblings that it didn't do as well as Sony had hoped, so perhaps they passed on publishing the PC version. Or perhaps it was in their agreement with Kojima that he be allowed to publish the game on PC without Sony's involvement.

Acclaim published Crazy Taxi for PS2, for example. Sega still owns the IP.

It could be arranged differently, where 3rd party takes the share and then remits to Sony. This was done in other business arrangements where Agents sell an item, submit 100% of the sale to the company then the company remits the 5% or 15% or whatever back to the agent. It seems quit silly to me how it seems like a juggling act, but thats the way some things are done. Now I'm not saying that is the situation here, just saying there could be similar seemingly odd to us setups being used.

This isn't all that uncommon.
It is unheard of for Sony. Because of the way IP right and licensing works, some bizarre situations occur where only some organisations have rights to publish or distribute material in certain territories, it's particularly bonkers in the TV and film world. But if Sony own the IP, there is no reason why they would not publish on Steam. Zero.

It could be arranged differently, where 3rd party takes the share and then remits to Sony.
The numbers came from 505's parent company's financial report. If they omitted to declare that particular financial commitment or liability, wouldn't that be all kinds of illegal under most countries trading regulations? Particularly when Death Stranding was by far the most profitable game on sale. This generally falls under no 'no misleading shareholders' requirement.

It is unheard of for Sony. Because of the way IP right and licensing works, some bizarre situations occur where only some organisations have rights to publish or distribute material in certain territories, it's particularly bonkers in the TV and film world. But if Sony own the IP, there is no reason why they would not publish on Steam. Zero.
MLB The Show isn't published by Sony on non-Playstation platforms.

probably mixed true info and placeholders, wasn't gta remaster and gow pc leaked earlier from geforce now database ?
The earlier "leak" of 18 000 titles, many of which were confirmed to be false by the owners of their IPs, seemed to be the result of some AI-based web crawler that snooped forum discussions, news articles, rumor websites, etc.
GTA Remaster had been leaked several months ago, and GoW coming to PC was a matter of time for anyone looking at Jim Ryan's statements.

This new list also claims GTA 3 Remastered released last monday, and it didn't.

On the discussion of releasing Horizon Forbidden West just 7 months after it releases on the Playstation consoles, I think it's just some placeholder date. Sony can still make a lot of money off Playstation users on that game during the 2022 holiday season.
It's not that the game isn't eventually coming out on PC within the next few years because there's no reason not to. Especially as it's a cross-gen game so the scaling down to a 1.8TFLOPs GPU is guaranteed. It's the timing of coming out in the same year that doesn't match several statements from Sony officials.

Reactions: snc
Back