Sony plans PSP comeback in America

patsu

Legend
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/01/sony-plans-psp-comeback-in-america/

Overall, I am average happy with PSP even though I used it *A LOT* (every day).

The most frustrating points are:

* PSP software and hardware are all fragmented and disconnected. There is a dire lack of end-to-end integration and software support for its multimedia capability and accessories.

* Common functions work but can be clunky to use (e.g., Lack of true playlist feature for music playback).

If Sony really wants to fix PSP and expand its audience, it needs to revisit these details. Also, how come no network services in US ?

As for the GPS unit, I have been trying to look for an in-car mount/stand for PSP, but no one seems to offer it. The GPS nav software (if provided) would be useless for me without such a mount. Wake up, Sony. Unless you think I should switch to iPhone.

I guess the domination of Japan has woken Sony up the fact their platform had potential and they should actually put some effort into it! Trouble is the platform is limited. For games, all it offers control wise is console-like, which limits the types of games. Whatever is created for PSP could be created for a download service instead. Network is limited to Wifi so phones have by far and away a better potential for media too. The only thing in its favour IMO is the screen (which should be updated to one with a better refresh) and possibly the price. In terms of potential I don't see how it can compete with iPhone and the like. Hopefully >35 million units will be seen as a viable market and devs will get their thinking caps on.

For me, PSP was a great idea, but the lack of proper multiplayer gaming killed it for me. They could have produced some awesome little take-anyway multiplayer titles, but didn't. I don't see the appeal of the system for anyone who isn't big into videos, or who travels enough and wants to play the few worthwhile exclusives.

Wrong audience. I use Pikachu to scare my kid son. PSP people, young or old, tend to use the media functions more and then some games.

I guess the domination of Japan has woken Sony up the fact their platform had potential and they should actually put some effort into it! Trouble is the platform is limited. For games, all it offers control wise is console-like, which limits the types of games. Whatever is created for PSP could be created for a download service instead. Network is limited to Wifi so phones have by far and away a better potential for media too. The only thing in its favour IMO is the screen (which should be updated to one with a better refresh) and possibly the price. In terms of potential I don't see how it can compete with iPhone and the like. Hopefully >35 million units will be seen as a viable market and devs will get their thinking caps on.

For me, PSP was a great idea, but the lack of proper multiplayer gaming killed it for me. They could have produced some awesome little take-anyway multiplayer titles, but didn't. I don't see the appeal of the system for anyone who isn't big into videos, or who travels enough and wants to play the few worthwhile exclusives.

The PSP is more suited as a portable media player that also can be used for gaming rather than a portable gaming system that has media functions.

All Sony has to do is ensure that the hardware itself is profitable and put enough games on it to keep that feature viable enough to serves as differentiator from other portable media players.

Sony needs to lean on the strength of the PSP and thats its look and wide range of functionality. They should of used that initial strategy of the PS3 instead of "its a computer", "its a portable media player" would of worked well with the PSP.

Go to Home Depot, they sell disposable mounts. Just go ask the customer service where you can find the "Duct Tape". just joking. LOL

Just use your ear phones and hang it from the rear view mirror.

:LOL: What ear phone ? I can listen to music using PSP's builtin speakers or hook it up to the car stereo. It's much easier to control the volume via the car stereo but you can't change the playlist from the stereo. I usually leave it in shuffle mode. Without a proper mount, the main unit may slide around in the car too. It works better as a on-foot portable player.

As a GPS app, it lacks a touch screen. So control may be awkward unless it uses voice control (but PSP does not have a mic).

It's pretty good as a do-it-all player, but falls short in specific areas.

Knowing Sony, a new hardware is probably being researched on actively. In the mean time, they need to solve key marketing, software integration and game availability issues to build on the current momentum.

How they want to pace it with new hardware release will require more thought. Without addressing the above issues, I don't think revving a brand new hardware is the solution.

Lets give a spin to the matter discussed and lets think as if we were Sony and wanted to make the PSP mass appealing.

The PSP clearly has many functions on top of the standard movie, photo and audio playing. It plays games, it can surf the internet, it can connect with your PS3, etc etc.

So....lets compare it with an iPod. iPod's are often much more expensive, their screen is greatly much smaller, you need iTunes to import music in it, and lacks many of the factions the PSP has. Still it is a tremendous success. Why?

If we were a part of Sony, and wanted to show that the PSP is a cheaper, but much better purchase than an iPod, how we would have achieved this? What improvements should we make on the product and its features? What does it lack compared to the iPod that people seek so much? Is there a possibility that PSP could become the "Walkman" of today?

Lets develop on that concept a little and do some brainstorming

Compared to an ipod ?

Pros
Large screen

Cons
Cost
Size
capacity.

You can get an 8 gig ipod touch for $300 right now. That is just a bit more than a psp + 8 gig memory stick (the psp comes out to $250 i believe.) The ipod also has a great online service that requires only a pc . Can you go to the sony store on the internet from a pc and download music and videos or do you need a ps3 ?

You an also look at the ipod classic. 80 gig for $250 which is great for music . Thats the price of the psp with 8 gigs of music space. The classic may not be ideal for vvideo but it fits on your belt and you can do more things with it while using it.

Go to the ipod nanos and 8 gigs is $200 less than 8 gigs on the psp and this one easily fits in your pocket with room to spare . Then the shuffles 2 gigs is $70 and its ideal for working out.

The problem is the psp does alot of stuff , but it isn't really ideal for them. The dedicated players are more worth while and you can even argue that the zunes are a better tool for video and music on the go than the psp . the screen isn't as big , but its not bad and it still fits in the pocket and at $200 it will hold 30 gigs of information or at $250 80 gigs.

What sony needs to focus on is that the psp is a video game system and has great games but it can also do thse other things well. Sadly right now it doesn't have great games ... well not more than a handfull .

I really don't think the PSP can be made into something now though in the US. I really do think a new product is needed and Sony should just wait it out if something new is in development. The problem with the current PSP is it's simply way to large (length wise) to be practical to many people. Until it can comfortably fit into my pocket and not create an awkward feeling I don't want it for it's media capabilities. Also addons to the package are a real turn off. Simple, complete devices in that market make the most sense. It doesn't have to be the greatest at everything but small, compact, and feature complete is the goal.

I think Sony either needs to pick 1.) A gaming device with some other functions 2.) Utility device with some games. Even then, who's to say how the market on such devices will look even a year out from now. With Android around the corner I doubt I could ever find a reason for a utility device without also being a cell phone.

So....lets compare it with an iPod. iPod's are often much more expensive, their screen is greatly much smaller, you need iTunes to import music in it, and lacks many of the factions the PSP has. Still it is a tremendous success. Why?
iPod is more successful because it won the Hearts-and-Minds war, becoming the trend. The fact you need iTunes is a plus, because on PSP you need, well, any old application you dig off the 'net, because Sony didn't actually provide any means to get videos onto your PSP. I'll take 'fully functional software application' over 'no software application at all' any day! iPod is also more portable, cmpromising screen quality for fitting-in-the-pocket. Playing music is the major function and the basis of its design, whereas PSPs major function is visual. Because people have less interest in visual experiences on the go versus listening to music, PSP will always be at a significant form-factor disadvantage.

Also the feature advantages of PSP aren't competing with iPod but iPhone and other handhelds, and here it has the problems I've mentioned. Yes, in theory it can browse the web, but it's not great it and needs WiFi, whereas a phone can do that anywhere.

If we were a part of Sony, and wanted to show that the PSP is a cheaper, but much better purchase than an iPod, how we would have achieved this?
Can't be done. Even being cheaper, I can't slip a PSP in my pocket and listen to music wherever I go, so it's not practical for the primary function of the iPod. PSP would have to be sold as a different device, independent on MP3 player, wth Sony fighting for the MP3 market with a different range of players.

Lets develop on that concept a little and do some brainstorming
As I see it, the plan now has to be to bolster the PSP brand prior to releasing a new product. Roll out the Sony Experience, a single entry point for media for all Sony devices accessible on PS3, PSP and PC, where you can get content for all Sony devices, competing with iTunes in a 'lifestyle' way. Push the platform for good looking games which it can still do better than other systems. Get some peripherals and some peripheral using games out there too...where's the tilt sensor?! Market it to Betsy as the ultimate lifestyle gadget using stuff like the GPS (which is good, but you're right about the awkward control) showing this handheld can do everything, even if a lot of that stuff isn't really useful at this point. What good is web browsing on the PSP without a network, and you can only use it at home or work?

I can't see it working though. Without a network infrastructure, PSP is basically a PC extension, taking content from PC on the go. It's just a media and games player. How many people really have cause to own a portable film and game player in the US? How many people have cause to own a mobile phone, which they can also use for films and games at a push? An improvement in sales would have to be via marketing, rather than outcompeting the rivals. PSP2 will need a mobile network, basically becoming a phone...heck, basically becoming Sony's iPhone! They need to sort out their media delivery though, which is still a shambles, as it has been since Sony started doing download media.

I really don't think the PSP can be made into something now though in the US.

I think it is a natural platform to experiment with user-generated content.

It is also true that it will not work as well as specialized devices like iPod for music playback. However, it has its own charm. The trick is to amplify the positive aspects but Sony hasn't really done that (yet).

My peeve with it is that Sony is under-representing PSP. Given its existing hardware features, the software does not do it justice. Without revising their strategic approach, introducing another hardware will likely suffer suboptimal result (again).

Focusing on better games is a sensible move. Let's also integrate it with Playstation Home and the video + software store (tighter). Japan has PSP TV. EU has Go! services. US has nothing. Digital copy of Blu-ray movie is not widespread. On the Playstation video store front, they should also talk more about watching the downloaded movies on PSP.

Compared to an ipod ?

Pros
Large screen

Cons
Cost
Size
capacity.

You can get an 8 gig ipod touch for $300 right now. That is just a bit more than a psp + 8 gig memory stick (the psp comes out to $250 i believe.) The ipod also has a great online service that requires only a pc . Can you go to the sony store on the internet from a pc and download music and videos or do you need a ps3 ?

You an also look at the ipod classic. 80 gig for $250 which is great for music . Thats the price of the psp with 8 gigs of music space. The classic may not be ideal for vvideo but it fits on your belt and you can do more things with it while using it.

Go to the ipod nanos and 8 gigs is $200 less than 8 gigs on the psp and this one easily fits in your pocket with room to spare . Then the shuffles 2 gigs is $70 and its ideal for working out.

The problem is the psp does alot of stuff , but it isn't really ideal for them. The dedicated players are more worth while and you can even argue that the zunes are a better tool for video and music on the go than the psp . the screen isn't as big , but its not bad and it still fits in the pocket and at $200 it will hold 30 gigs of information or at $250 80 gigs.

What sony needs to focus on is that the psp is a video game system and has great games but it can also do thse other things well. Sadly right now it doesn't have great games ... well not more than a handfull .

You can get a PSP for less than $250. It cost about $170 without a special bundle, $199 with.

In February I mentioned what's happening in Japan,
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1132334#post1132334
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1132857#post1132857

After Monster Hunter, PSP has new hit games such as Gundam Universe Portable and Phantasy Star Portable, both pushing PSP hardware sales these days in the Japanese chart.
http://www.m-create.com/ranking/
Today, Square Enix announced FF Agito 13 for PSP. So it's snowballing.

To translate it into the US context, I'd say PS2-to-PSP migration is one of the keys in the US too. PS2 is still relatively popular in the US while it's not in Japan. To realize it, they need one killer app such as Monster Hunter. I don't know if Resistance can become one, but there is hope nonetheless if what the article mentions about "Wow, that’s coming to PSP?" games are correct.

Isn't PS2 selling on the strength of things like Guitar Hero, Buzz, SingStar etc.? Or is that only in Europe? I'm still unconvinced on the idea of a 'killer game' though. Why buy a PSP for a killer game when you can buy a Wii or PS2 or whatever instead? It'll have to compete with other games platforms. The principle reason to buy a PSP for a killer game is for killer gaming on the go - if the portable nature of the device isn't embraced, it's surely going to have trouble convincing people to buy a PSP when there are so many games worth having on all the other platforms. ie. Why buy a PSP for GOW when you can get a PS2 and play GOW? Why get a PSP to play Resistance, or Killzone Liberation, whatever unique titles it has, when there are other worthwhile games on other platforms. Basically, why buy a PSP for games instead of put that money towards another console?

For that matter, they have to exploit the network features of PSP in more games, which are absent in PS2. So it depends on the state of PSN and the network infrastructure too.

If they want to rely on PS2 to PSP ports, Sony might as well port all the classic games to PSP -- as long as they play well as a portable game. Nintendo decided to take the exclusive game strategy though. I think all the Wii and DS games are "special". I feel Sony should apply Game 3.0 concept to all PSP games (well, as much as possible anyway). I don't think they need to be afraid of breaking the security because err.... it's already too late :p

Use PSP to extend the PS3 Game 3.0 concept now. It is also built for media sharing (well... already happening but in a primitive and ugly way -- Press ^ to exchange pictures).

As much as I love Resistance, I am not a fan of third person view shooters on PSP. The button/stick layout is limiting. I prefer games like LocoRoco, PataPon, Metal Gear Acid, Metal Gear Portable Ops. I think Buzz!, Valkyria Chronicles (Valkyria of Battefield), and RPGs should work well on PSP too. May be it's just my personal preferences.

For that matter, they have to exploit the network features of PSP in more games, which are absent in PS2. So it depends on the state of PSN and the network infrastructure too.

Agreed, but I have a broader definition of "network". I don't think they should focus on Internet games. I believe they should play *up* social network games... using the ad hoc network feature. Again, Game 3.0-ish, think MySpace and Facebook but in an ad hoc networking manner. They should also exploit the media capability to develop a few media-games (kinda like how Pycho Mantis interpret my game saves, or "group" fortune telling, etc.).

EDIT: I saw pretty, non-gamer girls rushing into a SonyStyle store to buy PSPs. They were extremely excited to get one for each. I think people are okay with PSP purchases despite cellphone advancement because of battery concerns (on the cellphone part). As long as Sony makes it compelling to own a PSP, it *should* do well.

Back