Sony Unveils New Development Strategy For PSP

Somehow after seeing the DS3 work with the PSP-Go over BluTooth, I'm suddenly thinking that they would make a touch-based controller that could work with a variety of devices, including the PSP-Go ... I know, totally crazy, but still - imagine you could use it with the PSP-Go, with your PS3 and as a universal remote type device in general?

Maybe you're talking about the PS3 chat pad. :eek: Touch screen, bluetooth, plenty of buttons to press.

There are at least 2 movements going on with the gaming industry:
* Natural interfaces
* Mobile gaming
(and Nintendo led in both, ha ha).

Kojima is testing water with Peace Walker on PSP, and Natal in some unannounced game. I'm sure people are thinking about combining both too (e.g., using the new controllers outdoor, or at least explore a tighter integration with outdoor activities)

Somehow after seeing the DS3 work with the PSP-Go over BluTooth, I'm suddenly thinking that they would make a touch-based controller that could work with a variety of devices, including the PSP-Go ... I know, totally crazy, but still - imagine you could use it with the PSP-Go, with your PS3 and as a universal remote type device in general?

Nah, I'm probably dreaming.

I honestly cannot find the usefulness of the DS3 controlling a PSP-Go other than for retail kiosks. Basically exposing shoppers to the PSP-Go without exposing the demo PSP-Go to wear and tear. Other than that, I find that function impractical.

I think the PSP-Go would be better served as an universal remote not served by one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly. Or it may be a case where they don't expect a lot of Minis profit to support a large QA team. They can always revise their policies as they go along (just like iPhone) - if they earn more.

Having a small QA team while not allowing updating through patches seems counterintuitive. Basically, if a bug pops up in the wild then consumers are basically forced to manually delete and redownload the game. The problem is the smaller your QA team the more likely this will happen.

The only hope I have is that maybe 'no updates' means no 'patches', but instead an automatic full reinstall. Considering how I think even Sony is sending the Go! to die (internal politics at work again?), I'm not optimistic.

Having a small QA team while not allowing updating through patches seems counterintuitive. Basically, if a bug pops up in the wild then consumers are basically forced to manually delete and redownload the game. The problem is the smaller your QA team the more likely this will happen.

That's without considering that the app will be simpler. It's SP only. As with any organization, the QA team needs to be big enough, but smaller since they have less to test per app.

That's without considering that the app will be simpler. It's SP only. As with any organization, the QA team needs to be big enough, but smaller since they have less to test per app.

Given that only a small percentage of the apps I have downloaded to my iphone have been rock solid on day 1 regardless of simplicity, I doubt a small QA team and a very inflexible update system makes much sense. If you going to have a very small QA team, you better have a robust system for dealing with bugs that escape into the wild. Otherwise, you likely to provide an very uneven user experience.

It'd be like the old days (when it's impractical to download software via the net). Don't know if software quality has dropped or increased these days. It's related to more factors than just having a network software update mechanism.

The small QA team comment corresponds to the scope they need to test. Like everything else, it needs to be big enough, even for a smaller job.

Apple has a QA team of just 40 reviewers for over 85,000 applications so far (not counting updates, which go through the full process as well). Average turnaround is 1-2 weeks (with some high-profile outliers), seen by at least two reviewers each, for significantly less-restricted applications than the Minis.

There's basically no way Sony is going to approach this volume (even with the 80% reduction, a PSP dev kit still costs an order of magnitude more than it does to become an App Store developer, and requires Sony vetting). Even accounting for stricter quality control, Sony the multinational corporation would need to field a seriously anemic QA team to justify this theory.

I honestly cannot find the usefulness of the DS3 controlling a PSP-Go other than for retail kiosks. Basically exposing shoppers to the PSP-Go without exposing the demo PSP-Go to wear and tear. Other than that, I find that function impractical.

I think the PSP-Go would be better served as an universal remote not served by one.

Agreed about the universal remote, or at least PS3 remote. But I think the DS3 support on the PSP Go is mostly intended for people playing with the system connected to a TV.

Apple has a QA team of just 40 reviewers for over 85,000 applications so far (not counting updates, which go through the full process as well). Average turnaround is 1-2 weeks (with some high-profile outliers), seen by at least two reviewers each, for significantly less-restricted applications than the Minis.

There's basically no way Sony is going to approach this volume (even with the 80% reduction, a PSP dev kit still costs an order of magnitude more than it does to become an App Store developer, and requires Sony vetting). Even accounting for stricter quality control, Sony the multinational corporation would need to field a seriously anemic QA team to justify this theory.

I thought game testing by the console vendors are typically more involving ?

I don't think iPhone QA is thorough. Assuming QA time is 1 week, it is impossible to test over 85,000 apps with only 40 people in 2+ years. The actual testing time should be very much shorter. Perhaps they only do a content review followed by a cursory (quick) look ?

Agreed about the universal remote, or at least PS3 remote. But I think the DS3 support on the PSP Go is mostly intended for people playing with the system connected to a TV.

I can think of various other advantages though. The two most important ones currently:

- It means you can just slide a PSP Go on the back of the driver's seat and give your kid a DS3 to play games in the car.
- It means I can play GT PSP using the DS3. And this sounds extremely attractive to me to be honest. Extremely. To the point where if I find a PSP Go tonight when I go look if the GT PSP UMD is out there already, I'll get it

Others:
- It means you could support multi-player on one PSP Go.
- It means you can use a full Sixaxis controller using Remote Play for controlling your PS3 through your PSP
- It means you could theoretically support tilt on the PSP Go (though don't see that happening)
- It means that at least theoretically, the PSP Go could also support the chat-pad add-on which could be useful. Someone should test this.

Rumor: PSP Minis playable on PS3 before Christmas

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/03/rumor-psp-minis-playable-on-ps3-before-christmas/

If what we're hearing from a handful of reliable sources is true, though, then we'll be seeing the PSP Minis finally getting some attention in the near future -- as they become playable on the PlayStation 3.

"Before Christmas," says one source (and confirmed as "this month" by others independently), with allegedly the entire selection of Minis (and presumably upcoming releases) to be playable on PlayStation 3 consoles -- and with a resolution bump to boot.

What are Minis written in ? C/C++ or some high level language ?

It'll almost have to be a Sony library/engine if they're to get a resolution boost. I don't remember hearing that Mini's have to be developed in PSP PhyreEngine or anything though.

:???:

Maybe they've found a way to emulate the PSP on the PS3 with upscaling support? I'm sure they'll have tried something to make the screen less tiny on a 1080p screen.

It'll almost have to be a Sony library/engine if they're to get a resolution boost. I don't remember hearing that Mini's have to be developed in PSP PhyreEngine or anything though.

:???:

Upscaling won't be higher resolution though. That's me taking "resolution bump" to mean just that, and not upscaling, which isn't at all exciting. 470x272 is going to look myopic upscaled!

Upscaling won't be higher resolution though. That's me taking "resolution bump" to mean just that, and not upscaling, which isn't at all exciting. 470x272 is going to look myopic upscaled!

Everything that uses triangles can have a higher resolution when the PS3 emulates the PSP's 3D graphics chips.

However, many Minis involve a lot of 2D graphics. If there is no emulation but a recompile for PS3, then maybe Sony encourages developers to use higher resolution 2D assets for these versions.

I haven't checked, but some may be using Flash, in which case scaling to higher resolutions should be trivial.

All the PSP Minis are developed using the same dev-kit and environment as a normal PSP game. I find this rumour somewhat bizarre. If you've developed a PSP emulator that convincingly upscales - and I can well believe that Sony is capable of this - why limit to just the Minis?

Back