PSP peripherals not supported on PSP Go

I don't know about them wanting PSP Go to fail. The retailers interviewed also mentioned that Sony expected low sales from the get go. It is something they expected to be low volume but they pushed it out regardless. The killer is probably the inability to rip UMD over. Once that feature is taken away, PSP Go owners are pretty much exclusively DD-based.

Then again, it may be useful as a platform to push developer-side licensing issues before the real DD product comes out.

EDIT: May or may not be related:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/26/sony-execs-talk-playstation-move-expectations-ps4-details/

In other PlayStation news, Sony's Kaz Hirai seems to have effectively ruled out a download-only future for the eventual PS4 in an interview with MCV, with him saying that a "digital future is over ten years away." Hirai then went on to note that "we do business in parts of the world where network infrastructure isn't as robust as one would hope," and that "here's always going to be requirement for a business of our size and scope to have a physical medium." No word if that also applies to Sony's future handhelds as well.

[Remember, this is only my guess]

Was news to me and quiet a few others on these forums, so I'm glad the thread was created.

Very good blog post about this and the guys history with the psp

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidGalindo/20100828/5840/So_Long_Friend_Remembering_the_PSP.php

Did I expect Sony to have a separate Go camera based on the sales so far of the system? No, I didn’t at all. Do I want to really play these games? Nah, not really. So what’s the problem? There is no problem, I guess. There shouldn’t be, anyways.

And yet I feel frustrated, almost angry in a way, because I was fooled into buying a system that was $100 more expensive than the original PSP, with hardware that’s five years old, in a software market that’s dwindling down to almost nothing, and what do I have to show for it? What has Sony given me in return for my trust? A new firmware update that allows me to organize my download purchases into folders? No. Some kind of work around so that Go owners aren’t left in the cold for these kinds of games? No. Any kind of Go only titles that might make use of the extra hardware or something? Anything? I can’t even sell it for nearly the amount I paid for it judging by some recent eBay auctions. I’m stuck with this machine.

What’s Sony’s response to all the slow sales? Why, a new marketing campaign lead by Marcus, a young black kid that dishes out the pain in Kevin Butler-esque commercials. One commercial has someone showing Marcus some iPhone games, with Marcus bringing down the world of hurt as he dismisses phones as not being built for “big boy” games, and showing off the greatest hits lineup of $10 games such as Twisted Metal and Hot Shots Golf.

Is Sony unaware of their Minis lineup being some ports of popular iPhone games? Or iPhone games even being ported to the PS3? Not unaware so much as they are indifferent to it. Never mind that new games still cost $30-40 and the $10 PSP games lineup shown on the commercial were years old. I have no problem paying $40 for an “actual” game. But when I can get a lot of enjoyment out of sub-$10 games, I have to ask myself why I’d still be paying $40 for handheld games.

And yet I feel frustrated, almost angry in a way, because I was fooled into buying a system that was $100 more expensive than the original PSP, with hardware that’s five years old, in a software market that’s dwindling down to almost nothing, and what do I have to show for it? What has Sony given me in return for my trust? A new firmware update that allows me to organize my download purchases into folders? No. Some kind of work around so that Go owners aren’t left in the cold for these kinds of games? No. Any kind of Go only titles that might make use of the extra hardware or something? Anything? I can’t even sell it for nearly the amount I paid for it judging by some recent eBay auctions. I’m stuck with this machine.

The PSP software lineup in 2009 and 2010 has been stellar. They released a long line of very strong PSP titles (including Valkyria Chronicles II :().

The PSP Go is the one that's orphaned. Is pure digital version more expensive license-wise ? Why is it different to publish for compared to regular PSPs ?

EDIT:
Not sure why he said he was fooled. Is he too late to benefit from the 3 free PSP Go games in US ? (or 10 free PSP Go games in EU :devilish:). Or did he fell for it ? When Apple killed Newton and third party Macs, many Apple fans cried foul too. Is he saying Sony should stop selling PSP Go altogether (like Newton !) to prevent dragging on his pain ?

Is Sony unaware of their Minis lineup being some ports of popular iPhone games? Or iPhone games even being ported to the PS3? Not unaware so much as they are indifferent to it. Never mind that new games still cost $30-40 and the $10 PSP games lineup shown on the commercial were years old. I have no problem paying $40 for an “actual” game. But when I can get a lot of enjoyment out of sub-$10 games, I have to ask myself why I’d still be paying $40 for handheld games.

Yeah... Sony will have to demonstrate enough value for exclusive PSP games. Otherwise, they will need to revisit PSP price or change its business model. The portable gaming and social gaming scene are both evolving very quickly.

What an idiot (Gamasutra guy)! The point of the Marcus PSP commercial is that the PSP platform has big games like Peace Walker, something that the iPhone platform does not.

Also, if you bought a Go in Europe you would have gotten extra free games with it. Also, what extra HW does the GO have? The only one I can think of is the Bluetooth chip.

True but....
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep not coming to PSN
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/28/kingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleep-not-coming-to-psn/

It's hard to tell any Go owers that future games aren't supported by their hardware. Remember that even though Sony has a wide selection on PSN, it still isn't much compared to the number of PSP games released on UMD (let alone PSOne classics on disc).

Kingdom Hearts pisses me off actually. But what do you mean about PS1 games on disc? You can't play those on a 3000 either.

Was news to me and quiet a few others on these forums, so I'm glad the thread was created.

How do you like your PSP GO apart from this? Build quality ok? More solid than the PSP?

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you use that in a game?
It's storage for games, savegames and media. Have to store them somewhere, right? You can still expand it further with memory sticks (as you can on the non-Go PSPs), it's just that you get 16GB thrown in to start with.

With games typically ranging from a few hundred MBs up to a gigabyte, PSP storage fills up fast. I "only" have an 8GB stick in my PSP3000 and I constantly have to make hard decisions about which games to keep. Actually I've started purchasing games on UMD again, just to avoid/reduce the storage juggling. Since the Go is download only, ample storage for games is doubly important.

How does that answer my question?
???
You can't play a game without accessing storage. That qualifies as a use for games, no?
You asked about extra hardware in the Go besides Bluetooth, and the built-in flash is just that: extra hardware not included in the other PSP models.

The PSP software lineup in 2009 and 2010 has been stellar. They released a long line of very strong PSP titles (including Valkyria Chronicles II :().

The PSP Go is the one that's orphaned. Is pure digital version more expensive license-wise ? Why is it different to publish for compared to regular PSPs ?

EDIT:
Not sure why he said he was fooled. Is he too late to benefit from the 3 free PSP Go games in US ? (or 10 free PSP Go games in EU :devilish:). Or did he fell for it ? When Apple killed Newton and third party Macs, many Apple fans cried foul too. Is he saying Sony should stop selling PSP Go altogether (like Newton !) to prevent dragging on his pain ?

If you read the article he bought the PSP and the PSP GO on their respective launch date.

I think he is saying that the psp go is already dead (and it is) and that sony has done a piss poor job of supporting its user base.

Most of the library of games are not on psn , even bigger games like luminearys (sp?)
New Releases are not coming to PSN
Some games simply wont work with psp go like the one this thread is about.

I think its a poor showining on sony's part. I owned a psp until june of this year. There were a handful of psp titles that apealed to me (I'm not a fan of jrpgs) .

I think to many are brushing off what sony has done to the psp go. What if the ps3 slim was treated this way by sony ?

How is your question relevant?

For what it's worth, the 16GB:

- stores and loads your games (that you got off PSN)
- stores gamesaves and other game data
- stores pictures, videos and music (music can sometimes be used in-game)
- stores save-states (the PSP Go can save-state any game to disc, so you can leave it, play another game, then come back to it right where you left off at any time - this also improves load-times incidentally)

When someone says that the 16GB alone is almost worth it, they are referring to the price of buying 16GB for your PSP. Of course those prices are coming down fast, but particularly when it came out, buying a new PSP 3k and a 16GB memory stick was more expensive.

Also something few people have pointed out: Sony's failure of the PSP Go is partly thanks to how forward looking their original hardware was. It was perfectly capable of downloading games from the PSN store from the beginning. Compare to the Nintendo DS, for which the DSi was released as the first one that could get downloadable games. If you wanted that kind of thing, you basically needed to buy a new DS. PSP owners just got it with another firmware update.

That resulted in that a PSP 3k with additional flash was in most cases every bit as good as the PSP Go, bar the savestate thing and the bluetooth (including being able to play with your DualShock on it). I think the device had a lot going for it, but the biggest failure imho was that all its ports were no longer compatible. This was what personally has held me back much more than the lack of UMDs, as I don't really bother with those anymore - everything I got on my PSP since the Go's launch has been straight off the PSN.

Of course, being able to play UMDs is still attractive and as long as there are games out there that you can't get on PSN, or deals which make the UMD version much more attractive, then many people are just going to stick to the original PSP.

EDIT: what Sony has done to the PSP apart from designing the hardware in a way that I am not quite happy with as mentioned above? Most UMD games that don't come to the PSN store don't go there because their publishers, not being Sony, don't care to get it there. Sony can't make them.

If you read the article he bought the PSP and the PSP GO on their respective launch date.

I did, but I am not sure whether he could get the free games if he bought them at launch (That's why he feel cheated ?)

I think he is saying that the psp go is already dead (and it is) and that sony has done a piss poor job of supporting its user base.

Most of the library of games are not on psn , even bigger games like luminearys (sp?)
New Releases are not coming to PSN
Some games simply wont work with psp go like the one this thread is about.

I think its a poor showining on sony's part. I owned a psp until june of this year. There were a handful of psp titles that apealed to me (I'm not a fan of jrpgs) .

I still have my US launch PSP; my second one after I lost the original Japan unit. My son plays Patapon on it when he's bored of other games. I don't travel so often now. Used to fly every 6-8 weeks. It's more like a PS3 remote for me these days. My office PS3 is set a few feet behind my back, so I use PSP RemotePlay to manage it sometimes. iPad is for my missy and son. :)

I think to many are brushing off what sony has done to the psp go. What if the ps3 slim was treated this way by sony ?

I think my question is why did he buy a PSP Go in the first place. From what I see and hear, it has been thrashed by just about everyone. I was waiting for more info myself since I saw it as a half-product that's waiting for the other half to arrive. :p

Most people brush PSP Go criticisms off because they don't own one (They don't care !). Pitchfork carriers simply light the torch without understanding the real issue. What is exactly stopping third party publishers from releasing their games on the PSP Go ?

Why would Sony do this on PS3 ? It's irrelevant. More to the point, why should/would Sony do this to PSP Go ?

When someone says that the 16GB alone is almost worth it, they are referring to the price of buying 16GB for your PSP. Of course those prices are coming down fast, but particularly when it came out, buying a new PSP 3k and a 16GB memory stick was more expensive.
Yeah, that's what I meant. 16GB memory sticks go for around 40€ even now, while the price difference between PSP3k and Go is only around 20€.

Most people brush PSP Go criticisms off because they don't own one (They don't care !). Pitchfork carriers simply light the torch without understanding the real issue. What is exactly stopping third party publishers from releasing their games on the PSP Go ?
I think appeasing US brick&mortar retailers is the real issue. Downloadable games should by all rights be priced cheaper because you get less (can't resell them), but also because the distribution itself is so much easier. But if a publisher ever dares to do that, Gamestop et al will cry foul because an adequately priced download version cuts into how many units they can move.

Warhawk's disc release, where they bundled an accessory to justify a higher price, was one of the more elegant solutions. You can't do it for every game though.

It's a weird situation. Gamestop's whole business model is already openly hostile towards publishers. I don't really get why efforts are made to keep good relations with such a company.

what extra HW does the GO have? The only one I can think of is the Bluetooth chip.

16GB of built-in flash memory. It still almost justfies the price difference.

t's storage for games, savegames and media. Have to store them somewhere, right? You can still expand it further with memory sticks (as you can on the non-Go PSPs), it's just that you get 16GB thrown in to start with.

How is your question relevant?

Gamasutra said:
What has Sony given me in return for my trust? A new firmware update that allows me to organize my download purchases into folders? No. Some kind of work around so that Go owners aren’t left in the cold for these kinds of games? No. Any kind of Go only titles that might make use of the extra hardware or something?

Gamasutra article wanted something more for Go games, because of extra HW, only extra HW in Go is flash ram, so Tuna was wondering wtf is Gamasutra talking about.

Back