Sony only allows gimped MOD Support on Playstation games (Bethesda FallOut4 and Skyrim Remaster)

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/gam...to-ps4-for-skyrim-and-fallout4/2016/10/04/221
Mod support will come to Skyrim first. We and Sony have worked hard to make this possible. Mods on PlayStation 4 will allow you to modify and create your own content by using our Creation Kit available here. You will not be able to upload external assets with your PlayStation 4 mods, but you will be able to use any assets that come with the game, as most mods do. By creating a Bethesda.net account, you’ll be able to browse and try mods right from within the game.
As I previously said the problem probably is that Sony does not support Windows/Xbox texture format and maybe does not want to share own authoring tools.
Do not see a reason for not making own format for a textures. I'm sure both consoles have same texture compression hardware.

It's almost as if the thread title is false. Something not true. A falsehood. Lacking truthfulness.

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/gam...to-ps4-for-skyrim-and-fallout4/2016/10/04/221

As I previously said the problem probably is that Sony does not support Windows/Xbox texture format and maybe does not want to share own authoring tools.
Do not see a reason for not making own format for a textures. I'm sure both consoles have same texture compression hardware.

That says absolutely nothing about texture format. Only that the mods cannot use anything that doesn't already exist in the game. So mods for PS4 will be extremely limited.

Regards,
SB

That says absolutely nothing about texture format. Only that the mods cannot use anything that doesn't already exist in the game. So mods for PS4 will be extremely limited.
The vast majority of mods do not have custom assets. It's worth remembering that there are a lot of assets included in Fallout 4 that are not included in the standard game, or the DLCs - well, not as far as I've explored it which is pretty damn thoroughly! :yep2:

I'm looking forward to a PS4 vs Pro faceoff on both games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol you guys [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what kind of mods are allowed within this restiction? Like what PC mods are there out there with this kind of thing? Is it basically limited to gameshark code type of manipulation?

Regards,
SB
Previous statement:
  • PC textures are used. Memory and performance issues may occur. We are working with Sony on optimal texture exporting support in a future update.
  • Sound files are currently not supported. PS4 sound format is a proprietary format. We are working with Sony on sound file processing support in a future update.
  • PS4 Mod Storage limit is approximately 900 MB at present. Please do not upload mods larger than 900 MB. We are working with Sony to increase this limit.

Previous statement:

What you just quoted was the fact that the PC version of Fallout 4 textures are being used in the mods for PS4, hence leading to performance and memory issues on that platform.

In other words, PC textures are not why mods weren't allowed on the PS4 prior to this announcement.

However, sound files (proprietary format on PS4 so mod authors can't use open licensing sound formats) and mod storage size are current limitations.

It also would have been helpful if you'd provided a link to that information as the link you did provide didn't include any of that.

Regards,
SB

Yeah but the ones worth having do have custom... assets.

Or custom ass.. ets.

kcTPicz.jpg

Read thread from the beginning.
"PC textures used" probably means they are uncompressed in memory.

I have been reading the thread since the beginning. If you've noticed I've been commenting in here since the beginning.

Basically what you are saying is you "think" something is happening without having any actual "proof" that something is happening.

IE - everything that has been officially said about the state of Fallout 4 mods on PS4, indicate it is entirely due to the proprietary nature of how assets must be used on PS4. And not whether an open standard is being used or not.

Regards,
SB

Back