Sony only allows gimped MOD Support on Playstation games (Bethesda FallOut4 and Skyrim Remaster)

I wouldn't go the 'Sony lied' route without evidence. There can be lots of reasons a collaboration fails, rarely including the 'they were only stringing us along for selfish ends' one. Could simply be a case of a change of executive for all we know. It's also worth noting that Sony has been by far and away the more open platform company, allowing cross-platform play, F2P MMOs, and modding on PS3. This is certainly a confusing backwards step, but it's unlikely to be as a result of a personality change such that 'open Sony' has become 'deceitful closed Sony'.

I agree. I have no doubt that Sony felt that made the right decision. I have no doubt that Bethesda feel Sony made a bad decision. Whatever the issues were, they are irrelevant now. It's PlayStation 4 gamers who are ultimately disadvantaged. It's no skin off Bethesda's nose (other than wasted time/effort) that Sony prevent PS4 owners from using the mods their provides.

There is no encoding format for .wav. It's just a container, generally for uncompressed audio as ACM isn't generally used. Because it's typically used for uncompressed audio it isn't a popular sound format for mods, hence why most mods use .mp3 or .ogg files.

Looking at the thread on the Bethesda forums, there's a lot of people unhappy with Sony and stating that they are no longer going to be buying the PS4 version of the Skyrim remaster.

It's a shame because Bethesda has had mod support up and running for PS4 for a few months now. They were only waiting on approval from Sony to enable it on PS4. Also sad because many mod authors have already made mods that would work on PS4.

BTW - the uncompressed format used is the same used by Audio CDs (LPCM). The vast majority of .wav files are this.

Regards,
SB
maybe, even if certain inflexibility of Bethesda's engine might be the culprit, I have a feeling that Sony feel threatened by code leaks that could allow people to pirate a console. If that isn't the reason...it shouldn't be tthat difficult to create a wrapper for Fallour 4 and Skyrim to play wav files, or using a conversor or whatever

maybe, even if certain inflexibility of Bethesda's engine might be the culprit, I have a feeling that Sony feel threatened by code leaks that could allow people to pirate a console. If that isn't the reason...it shouldn't be tthat difficult to create a wrapper for Fallour 4 and Skyrim to play wav files, or using a conversor or whatever
They say it is always easy to add support for something. But if you have a lot of legacy code and shitty framework it is not.
Fallout does not look technically impressive at all. Remember performance without a patch and fog blunder.

Title is wrong, should be "Bethesda and Sony did not come to an agreement on mod support". Or something like that.

They did not say for any game. Sony have not said anything.
It was Bethesda statement for their games.

If the Bethesda statement is incorrect, then Sony will come out and state that it isn't. It's not like this is some blog spreading a rumor. This is one of the major publishers stating something about your company. So not something they can let slide if it is erroneous. Bethesda's lawyers will also have made sure that the wording wasn't such that Sony could sue them for libel.

The best we can hope for is that internet pressure will force Sony to state why they are unwilling to allow Bethesda to allow mod support on the PS4 despite at first telling Bethesda that they could go ahead with plans to implement that.

Bethesda spent time and money on this project in the hopes that they could allow their player base use mods to enhance their gaming experience.

Regards,
SB

Sony Playstation, the open platform that uses proprietary apis, uses a proprietary OS, uses a proprietary store, uses a proprietary network, controls modding (fallout 4), controls app/game installs and controls cross-platform play (rocket league). I guess you can swap your HDD and use bluetooth though ...

I'm not saying Xbox is any more open than Playstation, but suggesting that either one of them was ever "open" in anyway is a pile of shit.

I'm not saying Xbox is any more open than Playstation, but suggesting that either one of them was ever "open" in anyway is a pile of shit.
Sony have definitely been more open towards software and what devs want to do throughout PS3. eg.
And as mentioned, the first conosle mods appeared on PS3 in UT3, where MS refused them on 360 for years IIRC.

Sony have definitely been more open towards software and what devs want to do throughout PS3. eg.
And as mentioned, the first conosle mods appeared on PS3 in UT3, where MS refused them on 360 for years IIRC.

Your version of open and mine are not the same. Getting permission to release a f2p game is not open. That means Sony is controlling it. Allowing mods for UT is not open. It was an exception to the rule from Sony. They allowed it, they controlled it. There is no freedom there.

http://kotaku.com/the-first-big-game-that-brought-mods-to-consoles-1713716040

Sounds like a pretty solid outcome, all told. So what—aside from Unreal Tournament 3’s relative lack of popularity compared to its predecessors—stopped console mods from catching on? Conley chalks it up to console-makers’ desire for iron-fisted dominion over their platforms. Epic was, at the time, the exception, not the rule. If someone else without Epic’s status and legacy came at Sony with a similar proposal, they might’ve been shown the door. And since UT3’s PS3 mods never set the world on fire, they went down in history not as a revolution, but rather as a niche experiment.

No mod support (or limited mod support which is the same IMO), no UHD drive, no cross play with Xbox games, 10$ price increase for PS+ in NA...

Thinking that during the PS3 era, they even gave PS3 players free online!

BTW there is a typo in the title. Should be 'Bethesda'

They may very well not be doing the same kinds of things. Bethesda's mods are very comprehensive, they use a powerful scripting language and allow all kinds of customer content.

Perhaps MS with their heavily sandboxed virtual machines are more confident in allowing these things.

Farming Simulator 2017 supports mods on both PS4 and Xbone. :)
http://www.psu.com/news/31125/farming-simulator-2017-mods

I think that Sony has something against Bethesda [how their games manage mods, mod sharing structure or smth] and not mods in general.
yes, I guess what @function said might be the reason for banning Bethesda's mod, because the news is quite descriptive on how they are allowing mods. Other than that, I can't find an explanation on why they are very open to mods except when it comes to Bethesda's games. Odd...

Talking of which, it would be neat to have Wolfenstein and Doom mods in our consoles too, those are great games.

The only two plausible issues I've heard were those mentioned in the DF article - 900MB limit too low on PS4 and proprietary sound format were two issues, and apparently one or both of them could not be overcome/Sony didn't want to sacrifice them for mod support. Or something else entirely. Who knows we will know someday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only two plausible issues I've heard were those mentioned in the DF article - 900MB limit too low on PS4 and proprietary sound format were two issues, and apparently one or both of them could not be overcome/Sony didn't want to sacrifice them for mod support. Or something else entirely. Who knows we will know someday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
last news I heard is that Bethesda keep trying and trying and trying, so I guess mods will end up being allowed by Sony.

Back