Sony Halo, KILLzone hype thread!

TTP said:
Likely to be 2004. I believe the main reason Sony isn't showing it already it's 'cos the game still requires some refinements (I've heard the frame rate of a couple of month ago build was not quite there yet).

Or, more simply, Sony isn't showing it 'cos they are afraid other publishers would steal their ideas. You know, Nintendo-style thinking :p

u mean there are new ideas in the game? what "new" ideas could be added to a FPS in the current generation? we've already seen some pretty neat things in Half Life 2, Metroid Prime, maybe Doom3 (if u can find an "idea" behind this one :LOL: )

Photorealism? :p
THe truth is, that every pretend to be photorealistic game isn't photorealistic anymore after a few years...
Ok, doom 3... but I bet we'll see something MORE photorealistic (hair movement, hair growth,...) soon. Untill we can see pores and sweat, we aren't there quite yet :)

Evil_Cloud said:
THe truth is, that every pretend to be photorealistic game isn't photorealistic anymore after a few years...
Ok, doom 3... but I bet we'll see something MORE photorealistic (hair movement, hair growth,...) soon. Untill we can see pores and sweat, we aren't there quite yet :)

because... u consider Doom3 Photorealistic......... errrrrrrrrr.......

Some people described Max Payne as photorealistic, but if you look at it now, it isn't...
That's just what I tried to say.

well yeah Max Payne had photorealistic textures that can be confused for the real thing... Doom3 is just CGI looking. a very low poly CGI rendition... Doom3 doesnt even look photorealistic now, at least Max Payne looked kinda photorealistic in some places at launch...
hell, The Getaway can look photorealistic in some interiors...

london-boy said:
u mean there are new ideas in the game?

No, tha was sarcasm after one of the latest Nintendo rumors which says Nintendo didn't show Mario 128 at E3 2003 'cos they didn't want other publishers to copy their ideas before the game release ;)

TTP said:
london-boy said:
u mean there are new ideas in the game?

No, tha was sarcasm after one of the latest Nintendo rumors which says Nintendo didn't show Mario 128 at E3 2003 'cos they didn't want other publishers to copy their ideas before the game release ;)

OH.. OOPS... silly un-sarcasm-catcher-me...

london-boy said:
Evil_Cloud said:

because... u consider Doom3 Photorealistic......... errrrrrrrrr.......

have u actually played doom3 at 1600x1200 on high detail ? THe game looks great. It looks ugly in screen shots though. Wait to u play it before you complain.

Killzone is interesting from a technology point of view because many sites have said it uses NURBS. The ppl who have seen the movies and extra screen are tightlipped but it sounds like they are saying extra geometry detail provides the wow factor.
Am i right?

Deepak said:
What is NURBS? Is it some groundbreaking tech or what?

High order surface.. simple explanation would be, instead of making an arch smooth out of a zillion polygons, you use a complex mathematical equation to produce a curved line.

Killzone is interesting from a technology point of view because many sites have said it uses NURBS. The ppl who have seen the movies and extra screen are tightlipped but it sounds like they are saying extra geometry detail provides the wow factor. Am i right?
Not exactly. High order surfaces come with a notable calculation overhead, NURBS especially so. The amount of geometry you can display with them is considerably Lower then using raw geometry.
What you do gain is more efficient memory use, and relatively straightforward dynamic level of detail adjustment, which can serve to increase 'perceived' detail - it's easier to maintain detail upclose where it matters more.

The process has been used in PS2 games before, to various extent.

Not exactly. High order surfaces come with a notable calculation overhead, NURBS especially so. The amount of geometry you can display with them is considerably Lower then using raw geometry.
What you do gain is more efficient memory use, and relatively straightforward dynamic level of detail adjustment, which can serve to increase 'perceived' detail - it's easier to maintain detail upclose where it matters more.

The process has been used in PS2 games before, to various extent.

I see what you mean, because models are defined as high order surfaces, they can look smoother up close. I guess its also good for changing geometry like blades of grass swaying etc. Just curious, can u give an example of any games that use nurbs?

bleon said:
I see what you mean, because models are defined as high order surfaces, they can look smoother up close. I guess its also good for changing geometry like blades of grass swaying etc. Just curious, can u give an example of any games that use nurbs?

i'm pretty sure SSX and SSX Tricky used Bezier Curves for the enironmnets, but i can't be too sure about it, there was a paper on Gamasutra i think about how relatively "easy" it was for the engine to change LOD dynamically to make the hills look curved...

what is the main difference between Bezier Curves and NURBS? do they not do pretty much the same thing?

Legion said:
didn't Quake III use Bezier Curves?

not the PS2 version IIRC... still, i'd say it was by far the best looking FPS on the console before Timesplitters2 came out, and the fact that it was locked at 60fps helps...

london-boy said:
what is the main difference between Bezier Curves and NURBS? do they not do pretty much the same thing?

NURBS = Non Uniform Rational B-Splines.
The difference is that NURBS are rational, i.e. there is a divisor in the formula. This makes NURBS heavier to compute than non-rational surfaces,
but on the other hand NURBS are invariant under perspective transformation,
in other world you can project the control points in screen space and the 2d
NURBS computed from them is equivalent to the projection of the 3d NURBS computed from the original 3d control points.

We were discussing the use of curves in render time. Quake3 tesselated curves into polys on level load time, leaving the rendering process unchanged.

SSX series uses Bezier for terrain, MGS2 used it for water surfaces (iirc), there are surely others. You don't need to use it for graphical elements only either - for instance in our game we use N-Patches over collision models to smooth over the ground/road for driving.

Back