Sony Halo, KILLzone hype thread!

Will KZ use Havok Physics Engine? HPE looks damn tight on HL2. Physics and animations has MGS3 and most games seen, beaten to a plup. Cant wait to see more HPE usage!

Well Lost Boys did license Havok's Physics Engine a while back. And we may have new scans of Killzone on Thursday ;)

Grolsch said:
Well Lost Boys did license Havok's Physics Engine a while back. And we may have new scans of Killzone on Thursday ;)

official PS2 mag again? the only reason i'm gonna buy the next one is if they have ZOE2 demo in it. skipped the last one...

Meh...
while it's perfectly possible to push PS2 to do physics well(at least from my experience with physics optimizations), I don't see that happening through use of generic multiplatform middleware.
Thanks to how poorly R59k typically handles general purpose code, and considering the mostly untapped resource the second VU is, the drawbacks of not using "hardware accelerated" processing for this are comparable to not using it for stuff like rendering.

Granted though, I don't know what kind of custom tinkering Havok allows, and whether or not it would be enough to do platform specific optimizations of the most critical parts.

Will KZ use Havok Physics Engine? HPE looks damn tight on HL2. Physics and animations has MGS3 and most games seen, beaten to a plup.

I am not sure if KZ is supposed to use Havok engine, and I'm also not sure if it's even used in HL2. I've heard they made their own physics engine. As far as I know, Lost Boys (Guerilla) wanted to use Havok for some platform game they've been making at one point for PS2.

Besides, what does physics engine have to do with the animation? Those characters in HL2 still don't walk, run etc. any better than in most games today.

Besides, what does physics engine have to do with the animation? Those characters in HL2 still don't walk, run etc. any better than in most games today.

absolutluely nothing, cept maybe object interaction and ragdoll physics. all been done before but much less poilshed which is where HL2 shines.

Now that you mention it, yay! Its the ragdoll physics, not just the animations. Impressive. Characters get thrown around mucho more cool than before. Ragdoll + Havok is yayaayaya! ;)

I believe Valve is using a customised Havok engine.

Someone has just posted (in English, not Spanish, first time I ever see this there) this in my usual Spanish gaming forum:

"News for the killzone hype-thread
on one of the last pages of the latest Edge magazine 126

enjoyt"

The poster registered just to post that, and his nick is Guerrillero, and, for those who don´t know Spanish, Guerrillero is "guerrilla member".

Sooo, as that issue hasn´t yet reached Spanish shores, could you please enlighten me on that? What does it say?

Someone on GA has that issue, and has said that they have nothing on the game, except claims that they will have some info in the next issue.

Fafalada said:
Not exactly. High order surfaces come with a notable calculation overhead, NURBS especially so. The amount of geometry you can display with them is considerably Lower then using raw geometry.

Faf is pretty much right. NURBS or Beziers will get you smother curves, but this requires much much more detail in the model (ie. Control Vertices for NURBS or vertices for Beziers) to properly control the curvature. Back when ATi was introducing N-patches, there were some nice displays of what happens to current meshes when they're truned into higher order surfaces... Anyone remember the baloon-like guns?

Also, personally I'd rather see subdivision surfaces as they are easier to generate content for, especially characters; and I think the computing overhead is lower, too.

laa yosh said:
but this requires much much more detail in the model (ie. Control Vertices for NURBS or vertices for Beziers) to properly control the curvature. Back when ATi was introducing N-patches, there were some nice displays of what happens to current meshes when they're truned into higher order surfaces... Anyone remember the baloon-like guns?
All true, although would straight subdivision to existing geometry always give good results? Probably not I figure... ;)
No doubt the rules of modelling change though, and underlying control mesh may end up complex enough that it will warrant LODing of its own - kinda going against the whole "free" dynamic LOD idea.

Also, personally I'd rather see subdivision surfaces as they are easier to generate content for, especially characters; and I think the computing overhead is lower, too.
Well I'm not a big fan of recursive nature of those algorythms - they don't fit all that well into simplified scheme of VU like processors (yes you can do recursion but it doesn't come without a cost). And I don't like the restrictive nature of full hw implementation (short of it being a full Reyes implementation or something :D ).
Personally, I am hoping to play with N-patches more in the near future, what I can do with VU implementation seems pretty promising so far.

marconelly! said:
Someone on GA has that issue, and has said that they have nothing on the game, except claims that they will have some info in the next issue.

Gracias¡¡¡¡¡

The waiting continues...

what the heck was this thread about . I though i knew the first 3 pages then around page 9 i was like wtf is this about and then around page 12 i got back into it and now i'm lost again .

jvd said:
what the heck was this thread about . I though i knew the first 3 pages then around page 9 i was like wtf is this about and then around page 12 i got back into it and now i'm lost again .

well u should be used to it by now, jvd....

1) start a thread on X game for X console
2) go through details of X game and how it uses X's console abilities.
3) start bashing how Y console or PC could do it much better.
4) 10 pages later, back to game X.

Well, the thread title says something about hype,so I just try to keep it updated (with no news :D :D, but that's all we have yet).

Back