Sony @ GDC: Phil Harrison's Keynote

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
I just love the fact that there is NO polygonal edges on this pic

well, it's a single model in a desert, and it's not a lot detailed, do you thought to see poly edges?

function said:
Okay, but I'm sure the AGEIA guy said they hadn't actually run the benchmarks on a 360. It was an early presumption or some such.

If you want the whole story on this, there are plenty of threads from the mists of time to consult.

function said:
I thought it was interesting in that it showed the gulf between theoretical perfromance and performance in a practical implementation by a (presumeably) skilled team from the company responsible for the chip.

Physics ain't their domain, though. I'd be much more interested to see what someone like Havok was doing with Cell than someone like IBM, tbh.

function said:
If reports are to be believed, PS3 developers have had as long with Cell as 360 developers have had with the final 360 CPU (or maybe longer).

Some developers have. It's still reportedly more difficult to tap, however, which would work against it.

function said:
I'm inclined to think that nothing, for either platform, has started to propperly plumb its respective depths yet.

I completely agree, and have said so on a number of occasions here now.

function said:
As I tried to point out in my last big post, the link between improved rendering power and improved visuals is a great deal simpler than between greater physics calculation and more fun, which is why direct comparisons to GPUs aren't helpful for that particular discussion.

This implies that the only way physics can be rendered is toward "fun" when it can be leveraged toward purely visual ends as much as GPUs are, hence the comparison to GPUs and graphics. But I see you go on to say..

function said:
And I'm not trying to talk down simulation for improving the way things look and move.

Which is great. But there have been others here who were, hence the argument.

function said:
I'm genuinely tired of the Carmack bashing from people that have never made a game, and never been involved in the process of making a game. He's talked about a number of gameplay related issues, none of which any of his detractors will engage with on a point by point basis, preferring to make generalised criticisms about his level of understanding, his approach to work, and the games he's worked on. No-one wants to pick him up on the points he made about physics and gameplay other than to say meaningless, generalised things like "more physics gives more options" or at very best "imagine a game where ... (random interaction X)" without trying to fit that into a fun single player game where it doesn't also cause gameplay issues.

I fully appreciate and understand his comments here. In fact, I'd agree that it can present challenges to use simulation in fundamentally gameplay-affecting ways. I may disagree with him on whether it's a worthwhile pursuit or not, but that's a different point. I agree that this is challenging. Carmack himself, however, even acknowleges the usefulness of simulation toward visual ends, and that's great, but he still makes a point of talking down all of these more CPU-orientated activities (physics/AI) because as he sees it, they don't (automatically) fundamentally improve the gameplay. YET, simultaneously, he thinks graphics are the best thing since sliced bread. In fact, he opened this very debate at Quakecon about physics and simulation and AI, and the focus being put on these things next-gen, by challenging the notion that realtime graphics has been "solved" and that we need to focus more on other things. He argues we should remain focussed on graphics, that there are big challenges to be resolved here and advances to be made. Yet the very same arguments he uses to try and take attention away from these other areas, could equally be applied to the area he wants us all to look more closely at again.

I think, however, he was fairly honest about this. He openly admitted that it was a pain in his ass when others came along and raised the bar in areas like physics and AI, and suddenly he needed to incorporate a better standard in these areas into his games. TBH, it sounds like he dreads the days when the bar is raised still further, such that advances in these areas become expected in all games, including his. But at least he was perfectly honest about it, and I can appreciate his position and why he takes that position. His company is small (in terms of headcount), he wants to keep it that way, and he'd rather focus on his biggest strength - graphics rendering.

Ike Turner said:

Totally different stuff.

The "car" and "gas station" stuff, if Harrison is to be believed, are taken directly from a game they have in production. He even went out of his way to explain the desert setting in the first instance by saying that they wanted to take as much as possible out except for the car so in order not to give away what game it was. You can believe him or not, but that's the claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanio said:
This implies that the only way physics can be rendered is toward "fun" when it can be leveraged toward purely visual ends as much as GPUs are, hence the comparison to GPUs and graphics. But I see you go on to say..

Yeah, I was trying to specifically talk about the gameplay<->physics link rather than the visual side.

One of my favourite things to see is to look down on a field of long grass, wheat, whatever, from a long way away and see the patterns the wind makes on it as it passes over. It would add a lot to any game I saw it in, even if it wasn't tied to any gameplay mechanic.

I fully appreciate and understand his comments here. In fact, I'd agree that it can present challenges to use simulation in fundamentally gameplay-affecting ways. I may disagree with him on whether it's a worthwhile pursuit or not, but that's a different point. (snip)

I don't fully agree with him either, and I'm sure he would prefer his relatively small company to stay focused on his first love, graphics, but I do have a lot of respect for the way he'll wade in on a topic where many developers wouldn't dare to express their honest opinions!

function said:
Yeah, I was trying to specifically talk about the gameplay<->physics link rather than the visual side.

One of my favourite things to see is to look down on a field of long grass, wheat, whatever, from a long way away and see the patterns the wind makes on it as it passes over. It would add a lot to any game I saw it in, even if it wasn't tied to any gameplay mechanic.!

Kind of like the Dust and bits of paper flying about in MGS4 ;) Simulated wind would rock

Interesting to note the messaging icon in the above pics. Seems Kutaragi's interface "mock-up" might have held more clues than we thought at the time:

interface37sj.jpg

interface29av.jpg

The Rachet images are very very impressive. The other games show promise, too, but let's wait for direct feed media before jumping to any conclusions, especially about details like poly edges and AA...

Laa-Yosh - having seen the Warhawk shots, do you have any better idea as to what they may be doing more specifically with the cloud rendering? On the one hand, I'm guessing they're not rendering slices of the volumes (?), but on the other, I doubt they're actually ray-tracing/marching them as in offline renderers, with hypervoxels and the like? I guess there's all sorts of techniques in between and levels of complexity that could be applied, that'd be hard to distill just from shots, though..

Shifty Geezer said:
So for better games you want things to be more like movies, a passive, noninteractive-medium? Rather than adding interaction you want better graphics to create better games?

I would like them to have the same quality that we see in really good hollywood films. Games have the potential to surpass movies as an art form, but IMO it's not going to start with adding more interaction when we already have completely interactive worlds like Oblivion.

You could give games right now 100% perfect physics, and they would still be B-movie hollywood crap...with nice physics.

Shifty Geezer said:
Graphics don't make gameplay. They make things look better, but don't make for better games. This is the debate with Revolution and DS etc. There's plenty of people enjoying less good graphics on DS because it has better interativity than PSP. Improved storylines won't create better gameplay.
They create realism which puts you in the game, in the moment and greatly enhances gameplay since you feel more involved in teh game. Physics are a small piece of this eye candy.

Shifty Geezer said:
Storylines : Tekken with an epic and involving story is still going to involve hitting button combos to get off attacks, the same gameplay as now. Story doesn't improve gameplay.

Ya, I was really referring to fighting games when I spoke of improved storylines. Good job Shifty.

Shifty Geezer said:
Improved Cinematics : You're kidding me, right? How does improved cinematics improve gameplay? Most people I know skip the cinematics. If I want to watch something rather than interact with it, I'll grab a movie!
Have you even PLAYED Call of Duty 2? This game has some of the best cinimatic moments I've ever seen in a game, and nearly every single video game completely pales in comparison to teh experience of playing COD2. This is what we need more of.

In ghost recon for example. great game, but it can't touch COD as far as awesome in-game cinematic moments. When you look back in retrospect, these are the things you remember about a game, the great moments.

Shifty Geezer said:
Large, non-linear worlds : Can improve things, but can also destroy a lot of gameplay. Wandering around worlds not knowing where you need to go can get very boring. I felt Frontier a good example of a large universe that was boring because of it. Morrowind also had large expanses of nothing-to-see. Yes it's big and 'immersive', but after the novelty has worn of you use the Striders and Wizard Portals to travel distances quickly, because that was more fun than realistic trekking for miles. In most game situations containing a lot of interactivity in a smaller area is better IMO than spreading it out over a large world.

This goes for nearly all games and all genres. They need to be more free form, Id like to see half a dozen endings in a game, create games that are like a world that truly react to a player so that every game in actually a different experience. Currently games are much much too linear. It's not totally a matter of size, but more about freedom of choice.

Again, I suggest you play some of the newer games because your reference to morrowind doesn't hold much water when Oblvion is much bigger and has stuff to do every 200 feet.

Shifty Geezer said:
Now a lot of what you've suggested is only applicable to a few genres, RPGs in particular. You've mostly been describing an 'interactive movie' type game, strong on story, cinematics, a sort of living world. None of that makes better racing games, football games, puzzle games, combat games... There's lots of games that won't benefit from expansive, free-roaming worlds. There's lots of games with little need for AI. There's not many games I can think of where physics of one form or other cannot improve the gameplay and/or visual aspects of the game.

Well now that is a good point, but I'm not talking about puzzle games, and sports games are a different beast, released annually and concentrating mainly on animations a GFX as well as improved control over your players.

I don't see how improved physics would improve any of these genres either, racing already has awesome physics engines in games like Forza Mototrsport, how much better can it get? Football will benefit greatly from some better animations, but where are the physics?

Anyways, this will be my last post on this topic. Enjoy the screens they look great PS3 is gonna rock. Here's hopin for that HDD installed! I'm off to play some oblivion....

scooby_dooby said:
Have you even PLAYED Call of Duty 2? This game has some of the best cinimatic moments I've ever seen in a game, and nearly every single video game completely pales in comparison to teh experience of playing COD2. This is what we need more of.

I agree.

I played some SP last night again (usually only play MP) and WOW... it is an amazingly interactive feeling.

Back