Sony @ GDC: Phil Harrison's Keynote

function said:
That certainly isn't what the discussion was for a good number of us!

Oi vey, I didn't edit in time sorry. I didn't mean to say "PEOPLE ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS", it was more a if you really wanted to read between the lines/tongue in cheek kinda thing.

Titanio said:
edit - side note, but harping back to the argument of "what can physics do for my game?", but this is a really neat comparison using GRAW on a regular CPU, and on a PhysX-enabled PC:

http://physx.ageia.com/footage.html (<-- footage there)

graw10ox.jpg

graw27ql.jpg

That's 'just' effects physics.
How does it looks like in the Xbox 360 version? Anyone?

expletive said:
Let me clariy what my point is because i think its been misunderstood.

Start on the PC side. Imagine you're a PC gamer. You've got a pretty nice gaming PC, 7800 GTX, Athlon 64, a Gig or 2 of RAM, etc. Now the industry is pushing the Ageia physics card which is supposed to cost $299, fine.

Apparently, the reason you need one of these is because its going to improve the gameplay experience as a result of the physics engines it can drive. I'm all for that but for $299, i want to see wtf theyre talking about. So i go to the link on the Ageia page showing the accelerated and unaccelerated explosion videos. Are you kidding? Thats what my $299 buys me? I've already seen better WITHOUT a PPU, i'm not shelling out $299 for that. Developers start talking about gameplay, and theres nothing they talk about that hasnt already been done in current physics engines thats compelling in terms of gameplay.

Would anyone shell out $299 for an Ageia PPU at this point? What exactly are shelling it out to do?

Now when you move the argument to consoles youre talking about a closed box so you cant just spend money and plug in a PPU. But what it DOES cost you is performance somewhere else because the developers have decided to spend a big chunk of CPU on this crazy Ageia physics engine.

What if the cost to your game wasnt 299 but was HDR? What if it was AA? Better AI? More polygons?

I'm not saying that pushing physics forward isnt important. All i've said is that the cost of this Ageia high-end solution in dollars or CPU seems excessive for what theyve offered so far. I'm not convinced its worth 299 for my PC, or 2 of my SPEs on my PS3, or half a core on my 360.

At the moment i'd rather take newer versions of the Havok engine for half the computational cost of a high-end solution, get 80-90% of the benefit, and have all that power left over somethign else cool.

Once they show me something these high-end physics solutions CAN do taht something like Havok CAN'T, and it geniunely improves the gameplay or fun factor, count me in. At the moment, it seems like the industry is pushing us to more hardware or more buzzwords, and i'm just not convinced. I'm not saying it can't be done, just someone please show me!

pretty much agreed.

the PhysX Processor seems to provide pretty unimpressive results, especially for it's price.

the way forward as I see it, is massively multi-core CPUs that have lots of general purpose units AND specific purpose units that can do many different tasks in hardware at once, helping the next-gen GPUs. this is also a generation beyond the current Cell.
Like what Intel is talking about (though not yet doing) with 'Platform 2015'. and probably other similar efforts that I'm not aware of, as well.

no need for a seperate physics processor at this point. I don't see the value in it, even for PCs.

I'm much more interested in that Cell-like co-processor that AMD is partnering up with Clearspeed for.

Last edited by a moderator:
one said:
How does it looks like in the Xbox 360 version? Anyone?

well if the explosion is supposed to be at the same instant in both images, GRAW on X360 looks almost exactly like the bottom picture when a vehicle explodes.

Tap In said:
well if the explosion is supposed to be at the same instant in both images, GRAW on X360 looks almost exactly like the bottom picture when a vehicle explodes.
Well how about the footages, rather than the pics?
http://physx.ageia.com/footage.html
In the PhysX version you see thicker smoke AND spattering, persistent debris while in the other version you see only thin smoke.

one said:
In the PhysX version you see thicker smoke AND spattering debris while in the other version you see only thin smoke.

Yeah but, you clearly get the feeling the left side footage is intentionally gimped. I mean come on, the truck doesn't even blow up. The impression that that's all the un-accelereted system is capable of isn't too believable.

Tap In said:

And that's exactly why I like these new next gen systems.:D

BlueTsunami said:
wow

How can anyone be against larger explosions! :D

*Because they want better storylines and A.I. in games. They would rather have more open-ended places to play than linear type games.

*This is what I've read here. I personally don't believe this.

btw the PPU might succeed on PC...

As a $99 card produced by Nvidia that you rarely or never have to upgrade (unlike a GPU of course).

That's where it's prolly headed..

Ahh, I love thinking ahead of the game..you wait..for the ATI physics card announcment..it's a no brainer..

Mmmkay said:
It was an extreme example of a bunch of things I could think of that could be implemented in fighting games, not a design pitch. But thanks for using it to dismiss the progression of physics entirely. :rolleyes:

I wasn't using what you said to dismiss the progression of physics entirely, nore was I using what you said as ammo for my opinnion on the matter. I was going to bring up similar examples when I was set to make my post, you just happened to do it before me so I used yours instead.

As I said in my post, I think the progression of physics is importan and should deffantly continue, something you seem to have missed. I just belive that it should continue on a systems core hardware, IE it's cpu. I think physics are advancing at a fine rate based on the standard hardware and do not need a optimized processor for just physics. Sure there are benafits to this, but I don't think they are great enough to warrent a special peace of hardware for just physics. Again, I think with the powerful CPUs in both 360 and PS3, as well as the powerful CPUs coming out for the PC market, that is plently to make some incredably realistic and convincing physics.

mckmas8808 said:
Okay fine but what about for the next-generation systems (i.e. PS3 and Xbox 360)? What do you think about games and physics on these two systems?

I think the CPUs in both PS3 and 360 are more than powerful enough to handle all of the physics and create some very realistic and convincing ones at that. I don't think eather one of those systems needs a special, pricy processor that only does physics like they are trying to sell people on the PC.

Personally I would rather see someone develope a processor that was deacated to doing something like real time ray tracing than physics. I think the level of physics done on just a high end CPU like those in the next gen consoles is more than capable of producing extremely realistic looking physics. I of course, want to see the physics scaled up as new hardware comes out like I said in my other post, but I don't think we need to put money into a processor that just handles physics, at this point I really think it's over kill IMO.

But think of what could be done in games if we had someone develope a processor that was solely optimized for ray tracing. In fact, a german company (i belive) already made the first card just for ray tracing and was able to enable full ray tracing in Quake 3. Now it was at the time still along way off from what would be really useful in todays games, but the company that made the hardware estamated that if Nvidia or ATI spent a few years developing the hardware for this, they could actually produce a chip much like the PhysX chip but for ray tracing that could allow developers to fully use it in real time in games.

Wheather this is true or not is a different story, but something like that is where I would like to see companies focus their time and resources developing, not a processer for physics.

Anywho these are just my thoughts on the matter.

one said:
In the PhysX version you see thicker smoke AND spattering, persistent debris while in the other version you see only thin smoke.

OK I just checked those out next to GRAW on my HDTV and blew up some cars (not truck) with a GL.

X360 is head and shoulders above the one on the left.
It looks nearly identical to the one on the right *except* there is not as much physical debris on 360. Tires and some small debris fly off but not with all of the detail of the referenced sample.

Edit: Oh.... and the cars sometimes go sky high and flip over and crash upside down... which is nice. :D

The explosion, lighting and smoke in the right side pic are nearly spot on to the X360 version though.

Single player only BTW, MP is a little less spectacular.

In the PhysX version you see thicker smoke AND spattering debris while in the other version you see only thin smoke.

Oh give me a break, don't tell me you actually belive the magical "PhysX" chip is the reason that explosion looks so much better on the right side. Use your head for a second ok? We have seen explosions as good and better then that in games for quite some time that did not use the PhysX chip. Also, that is exactly how the Explosions in that game look on Xbox 360 and I would assume most PCs as well. They clearly and quite cheaply turned the graphics all the way down in the demo on the left to make it look farrrrrrrr less impressive.

In reality you don't need the PhysX chip to make the effects look like that and again thats pretty much exactly how things look when they blow up in the Xbox 360 game by default. That test alone really makes me question the need for this hardware even more.

EPe9686518 said:
I think the CPUs in both PS3 and 360 are more than powerful enough to handle all of the physics and create some very realistic and convincing ones at that. I don't think eather one of those systems needs a special, pricy processor that only does physics like they are trying to sell people on the PC.

Wait, whoa, where, what?! I think I owe an apology and a sign of confusion. I was under the impression that the discussion was relating to Sony's promotion of physics on PS3 in the context of how Aegia is promoting their PhysX PPU (and that CELL is a closer architecture to it than its competitor)? Nothing about the inclusion of PPU's in consoles.

Am I confused, are you confused? Seriously, this is a thread about Sony's keynote at GDC and all anyone wants to talk about is Aegia. :-?

Xbot360 said:
Yeah but, you clearly get the feeling the left side footage is intentionally gimped. I mean come on, the truck doesn't even blow up. The impression that that's all the un-accelereted system is capable of isn't too believable.
Well I don't know, probably it's what you get on a new PC at a decent fps...
Tap In said:
OK I just checked those out next to GRAW on my HDTV and blew up some cars (not truck) with a GL.

X360 is head and shoulders above the one on the left.
It looks nearly identical to the one on the right *except* there is not as much physical debris on 360. Tires and some small debris fly off but not with all of the detail of the referenced sample.

The explosion, lighting and smoke in the right side pic are nearly spot on to the X360 version though.

Single player only BTW, MP is a little less spectacular.
So it matchs what I could see in various gameplay movies at gamespot.
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/tomclancysghostrecon3/media.html?mode=all
I could see thicker smoke and some debris, but not with the amount you get with a PhysX card, which scatters many flaming debris ballistically like fireworks. But the thicker smoke already shows what you get with better physics representation, I think hardly anyone wants to go back to that thin smoke.

EPe9686518 said:
Oh give me a break, don't tell me you actually belive the magical "PhysX" chip is the reason that explosion looks so much better on the right side. Use your head for a second ok? We have seen explosions as good and better then that in games for quite some time that did not use the PhysX chip. Also, that is exactly how the Explosions in that game look on Xbox 360 and I would assume most PCs as well. They clearly and quite cheaply turned the graphics all the way down in the demo on the left to make it look farrrrrrrr less impressive.

In reality you don't need the PhysX chip to make the effects look like that and again thats pretty much exactly how things look when they blow up in the Xbox 360 game by default. That test alone really makes me question the need for this hardware even more.
:rolleyes: Yeah, you can get the same effects on a weaker PC but with far lower fps. You know there are people who are readily to pay $500/$1000 for a GPU or two to get slightly better fps. Why not $300 for a PPU?

one said:
So it matchs what I could see in various gameplay movies at gamespot.
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/tomclancysghostrecon3/media.html?mode=all
I could see thicker smoke and some debris, but not with the amount you get with a PhysX card, which scatters many flaming debris ballistically like fireworks. But the thicker smoke already shows what you get with better physics representation, I think hardly anyone wants to go back to that think smoke.
I didn't look at the gamespot movies (since I have the real thing ;)) but yes, the firey, flying individual pieces are not present (at least on cars) except for a few small pieces -and lots of tiny tiny particles that look like vaporized stuff- and the tires fly off, on fire. And don't forget the car flipping in the air. :p;)

And yes the fire and smoke are the best I've ever seen in a game.

EPe9686518 said:

Than me and you are on the same line of thinking in this quote of yours. Glad to see we actually agree. That's been my point the whole time. Why not use the SPE cycles on physics if it's there.

Back