Sony @ GDC: Phil Harrison's Keynote

scooby_dooby said:
I'm not arguing against better technology, just questioning how impact this will actually have on making games better.

None of these things have any more potential to fundamentally improve a game than something like physics. A great game can exist without any of these things - they are all just tools in the developers kit. I don't see why one would argue against physics as an enabler but talk up "large open worlds" or even "AI". I mean, I could have technically the most brilliant AI, but it might be totally crap for a game - it's 'just' another tool, just like physics, to be wielded appropriately by the developer. You might take a preference for certain areas over others, and so might I and everyone else here, and that's fair enough, but to exclude any as "pointless" or of limited value would be very hypocritical. You might find the potential for better story-telling to be more compelling than the results of more sophisticated simulation, but many might disagree, particularly in the context of a technical discussion (where the former can't really be linked to technology at all if we're simply talking about decent plots, versus how they're expressed..which ironically is where better simulation could kick in and be useful! Ditto if you work your way into AI in a deep fashion you might start to see the benefit of various kinds of simulation, physical and otherwise).

Again, fundamentally a brilliant game needs none of these trappings. So why not constrain capability in all these areas?

Tap In said:
I think this is the debate and to presume that this demonstration proves that this type of experience is only possible because of Cell is premature.

Until further proof I'm of the opinion that this is not something out of the realm for either of the Next Gen systems and is a software decision (just as Full Auto was a game decision to create fully destructible environments)

That might well be true, and I don't think anyone is presuming otherwise. Nothing we're seeing now is touching the full capability of the machines. However, that won't be the case forever.

This isn't so much about what X or Y can or can't do, but what X or Y is or isn't doing, and what that might indicate and how that relative relationship will evolve over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tap In said:
I agree.

I think this is the debate and to presume that this demonstration proves that this type of experience is only possible because of Cell is premature.

Until further proof I'm of the opinion that this is not something out of the realm for either of the Next Gen systems and is a software decision (just as Full Auto was a game decision to create fully destructible environments).

NOBODY is saying only CELL can do this!!! Stop the ******ism!

scooby_dooby said:
When I ask myself what will be the thing that takes gaming to that next level, and really create a great movie-like experience the answer is not improved physics, it's improved storylines, impoved AI, improved cinematics, and more realistic large, non linear worlds, and much improved GFX so as to not destroy the illusion of a real worl. I think these are all the key areas that gaming needs to progress that have a MUCH greater impact on ruining the immersiveness than having 'inaccurate physics.' Physics are a part of the eye candy, but they are a very small portion.

I'm not arguing against better technology, just questioning how impact this will actually have on making games better.

Then you need to read what London, Shifty, Titiano, Mmmkay, and others have already typed in this very thread first. You answer is right in their respones.

Stop skimming through their quotes and read them.

mckmas8808 said:
What is that supposed to mean? Did you ever say anti analising the new gigaflops? Did you ever say HDR lighting the new gigaflops? I still don't understand why is it that when ATI and MS were yelling from the rooftops about "free" 4x AA you guys were cheering and clapping with them, but now all of a sudden we have to question heavy physics in games. Why?

The sad thing is games in the future will use heavy amounts of physics and you guys may not even change your mind about this by then. I guess BLACK is the best physics money should buy until the PS4 and Xbox 3 comes out right?

Unfortunately, everything I'm trying to say seems to have completely passed you by if you think this is a response to it.

function said:
Unfortunately, everything I'm trying to say seems to have completely passed you by if you think this is a response to it.

So what did that "physics is the new gigaflops" comment mean then?

Titanio said:
None of these things have any more potential to fundamentally improve a game than something like physics. A great game can exist without any of these things - they are all just tools in the developers kit. I don't see why one would argue against physics as an enabler but talk up "large open worlds" or even "AI". I mean, I could have technically the most brilliant AI, but it might be totally crap for a game - it's 'just' another tool, just like physics, to be wielded appropriately by the developer. You might take a preference for certain areas over others, and so might I and everyone else here, and that's fair enough, but to exclude any as "pointless" or of limited value would be very hypocritical. You might find the potential for better story-telling to be more compelling than the results of more sophisticated simulation, but many might disagree, particularly in the context of a technical discussion (where the former can't really be linked to technology at all if we're simply talking about decent plots, versus how they're expressed..which ironically is where better simulation could kick in and be useful! Ditto if you work your way into AI in a deep fashion you might start to see the benefit of various kinds of simulation, physical and otherwise).

Again, fundamentally a brilliant game needs none of these trappings. So why not constrain capability in all these areas?

While I agree in concept I think in practice these so called advanced physics won't be used as anything more than a gimmick feature in most games. Overused and overdramatic, like Lens Flares or Bloom.

And are these physics really that advanced? Are developers really going to use them to do new things? I seem to recall deformable terrain that effected your vehicle in Tread Marks which was released in 2000, how is Motorstorm more adanced?

mckmas8808 said:
NOBODY is saying only CELL can do this!!! Stop the ******ism!

Mck, is yelling at me really anyway to react to my reasonable post?

While you're at it go back and read the thread and you will read a couple of references to Cell regarding this demo.

(on this page in fact)
Cell was designed with physics & simulation as one target workload in mind.

Let me clariy what my point is because i think its been misunderstood.

Start on the PC side. Imagine you're a PC gamer. You've got a pretty nice gaming PC, 7800 GTX, Athlon 64, a Gig or 2 of RAM, etc. Now the industry is pushing the Ageia physics card which is supposed to cost $299, fine.

Apparently, the reason you need one of these is because its going to improve the gameplay experience as a result of the physics engines it can drive. I'm all for that but for $299, i want to see wtf theyre talking about. So i go to the link on the Ageia page showing the accelerated and unaccelerated explosion videos. Are you kidding? Thats what my $299 buys me? I've already seen better WITHOUT a PPU, i'm not shelling out $299 for that. Developers start talking about gameplay, and theres nothing they talk about that hasnt already been done in current physics engines thats compelling in terms of gameplay.

Would anyone shell out $299 for an Ageia PPU at this point? What exactly are shelling it out to do?

Now when you move the argument to consoles youre talking about a closed box so you cant just spend money and plug in a PPU. But what it DOES cost you is performance somewhere else because the developers have decided to spend a big chunk of CPU on this crazy Ageia physics engine.

What if the cost to your game wasnt 299 but was HDR? What if it was AA? Better AI? More polygons?

I'm not saying that pushing physics forward isnt important. All i've said is that the cost of this Ageia high-end solution in dollars or CPU seems excessive for what theyve offered so far. I'm not convinced its worth 299 for my PC, or 2 of my SPEs on my PS3, or half a core on my 360.

At the moment i'd rather take newer versions of the Havok engine for half the computational cost of a high-end solution, get 80-90% of the benefit, and have all that power left over somethign else cool.

Once they show me something these high-end physics solutions CAN do taht something like Havok CAN'T, and it geniunely improves the gameplay or fun factor, count me in. At the moment, it seems like the industry is pushing us to more hardware or more buzzwords, and i'm just not convinced. I'm not saying it can't be done, just someone please show me!

Tap In said:
Mck, is yelling at me really anyway to react to my reasonable post?

While you're at it go back and read the thread and you will read a couple of references to Cell regarding this demo.

(on this page in fact)

Well CELL was made with things like this in mine. It's not like it's a total lie. But me and you also know that the Xbox 360 will be able to do at least 90% of the physics stuff that the PS3 will do anyway so it's no big deal.

Titanio said:
Cell was designed with physics & simulation as one target workload in mind. We even have seen implicit and explicit comparisons of the systems from this POV from AGEIA, if you really want something more concrete. General simulation would appear to be a genuine strength for PS3, not because they simply wish it to be so.

Didn't AGEIA retracted any comparison that had been made between Cell and the 360 CPU, saying it was without solid foundation as they hadn't benchmarked the 360? If this is no longer the case, there'll be AGEIA's analysis and benchmarks available.

Anyway, how solid is that IBM benchmark that showed something like a 6 vector unit Cell @ 2.4 gHz outperforming a 3gHz P4 by something like 1.3 times in the "real world" test?

But this is besides the point. Cell may be a physics monster that can run games the likes of which the 360 can't closely replicate. I doubt it, but maybe. What I'm not seeing is proof of this in anything that's been described or demonstrated so far. Certainly, hearing in brief detail about a specific game feature (as I first described it probably several pages ago now) isn't enough to think you're seeing something that's only finally possible because of Cell.

I doubt even an experienced developer would feel they could make an assumption like that!

When people dismiss the value of simulation for the advance of the visual, it is an eminently relevant comparison to make. Simulation and rendering indeed will only become more tightly bound going forward.

Has anyone actually tried to dismiss the value of simulation in improving the way a game looks? If they have, I didn't see it but then again I've skimmed a lot of stuff.

I'm more interested in the link between simulation complexity, if you like, and gameplay. I can see some areas where it will improve gameplay simply by what it allows, and others where it probably won't because what defines greatness hasn't been limited by simulation for years, but by the skill of the game designers.

As an area, physics offers potential for multiple aspects of a game, perhaps more than any other technical area in a game. You can use it purely to visual ends, which is fairly low-hanging fruit and should be relatively accessible, or you can use it to heighten immersion or realism or to impact directly on your game mechanic. All of these things contribute positively to the experience. Having more power broadens the pallette for the developer, which is always a good thing.

Which is a long way of saying "physics is great". Yeah, it is, I agree, I love it like a child! ;) Now we're agreed on that, can you tell me how it's actually going to do the gameplay improving you just alluded to? And why that gameplay would be possible on a PS3 (for the sake of argument) and not on the 360?

I know how a faster graphics card is going to make my experience better. I can imagine better graphics. What about physics? I can image better phsyics. I can image more things being simulated. I can image more interactions. I can image swirling smoke and flowing cloth. I can imagine a thousand trees swaying in the wind while cherry blossom falls, swirls and then rests with complete physical accuracy. Can I image this making the gameplay mechanics of a title more fun ... ?

In some cases, yeah. In some cases, nope. Accurately simulating (not faking) deteriorating road surface conditions in a rally game, so starting order affected your ability to race competetively by a few seconds over the course could be a use for complex, physically accurate simulation. Would it make the game more fun? Not for me, no.

The link between GPU power and graphics is far simpler than between physics processing ability and fun, and that's why I don't like the assumption of the former being used as inferred proof of the latter.

The apparently selective 'ludditism' on display here is quite astonishing. By all means argue against the value of greater simulation capability going forward, but don't dare draw the line at physics if you are to do so.

I think you may be oversimplifying some of the points some people are trying to make and questions they're trying to ask. Sure, there are some people here to whom anything associable with "Sony" or "Cell" is dirty and should be devalued, but likewise there's an air of sychophantism around the word "physics" on some websites at present like it's Stalin and we're in 1930's Russia.

Honestly, I found the drubbing that John Carmack got in certain quaters (after being quite ballsy raising some very good points) to be pretty disappointing. Never came from any developers mind.

expletive said:
Once they show me something these high-end physics solutions CAN do taht something like Havok CAN'T, and it geniunely improves the gameplay or fun factor, count me in. At the moment, it seems like the industry is pushing us to more hardware or more buzzwords, and i'm just not convinced. I'm not saying it can't be done, just someone please show me!

Honestly on the PC side I totally agree with you as far as the PPU is concerned. I think it was either Shifty or Lb that said better dual core chips could be used for better physics in PCs.

But on consoles expletive of course it's all about a great mixture. A game like Full Auto is not what I deem a great game just because it has great physics. But in a good game done right physics can be that extra thing that makes that game into a great/superior type game.

expletive said:
Let me clariy what my point is because i think its been misunderstood.
The subtext of this current discussion is really something like this:

Let's say, in a wholly arbitrary fashion that console manufacturer X decided to dedicate a portion of their transistor budget for the facilitation of image quality (i.e. Anti Aliasing) but console manufacturer Y decided instead to dedicate some of their transistor budget for 'physics*' purposes. All other things considered we would expect comparative performance to be roughly on par. Feature X has a persistent [ed: personal opinions aside ;) ] affect on the consumer's experience, but feature Y is a tool and as such not mandatory nor necessarily expected to be used to its capacity.

As a [theoretical] consumer I am expected to measure the features of these competing machines to see which addresses my needs as a gamer. Do I purchase on the expectations of what can be done, or what will be done? (Console manufacturer Z viewers at home may feel their allegory senses tingling).

The easiest way to make a decision is to cast doubt over what is really necessary in feature Y because it is only a tool. Were valuable transistors dedicated for a purpose that isn't prevalent enough to warrant them. Of course the world is an uncertain future, and we do not necessarily know the direction that gaming will take. Company Y has invested effort in pursuing feature Y hoping that it will be an attractive selling point. Current technology is limited but satisfactory in its implementation, do we need any better?

The biggest fear is that it is underutilised through disinterest, or that it cannot deliver on its promises. This results in a 'feature deficit' and thus the consumer is more likely to side with console manufacturer X.

*In reality the transistor budget dedicated for CELL is not an ASIC and can be adapted for many purposes.

Of course, the whole situation is one big fallacy and took a shift at the goalposts somewhere along the way to exclusively pigeon hole feature Y as single purpose. I'm curious here, but wouldn't putting feature Y in a closed box environment with a large developer support only nurture its usage in the market? Isn't this how these things grow? (Demanding expectations now, for something that has been relatively underused in the current market seems somewhat naive)

function said:
Stalin and we're in 1930's Russia.
Footsteps, I can hear them getting close now. Godwin is that you?

Inane_Dork said:
It would be hilarious if, after all this hubbub, it turned out that "HDD support" means that PS3 games can save to the HDD. :p

Am I the only one who thinks this is fishy? The basic service is free and there are no tiers? No tiers means that "basic service" doesn't mean anything. I think they're just throwing curveballs now for the heck of it. We're already guessing enough, but they want to have additional fun.

You've been wrong before. ;)

Mmmkay said:

Let's say, in a wholly arbitrary fashion that console manufacturer X decided to dedicate a portion of their transistor budget for the facilitation of image quality (i.e. Anti Aliasing) but console manufacturer Y decided instead to dedicate some of their transistor budget for 'physics*' purposes. All other things considered we would expect comparative performance to be roughly on par. Feature X has a persistent [ed: personal opinions aside ;) ] affect on the consumer's experience, but feature Y is a tool and as such not mandatory nor necessarily expected to be used to its capacity.

As a [theoretical] consumer I am expected to measure the features of these competing machines to see which addresses my needs as a gamer. Do I purchase on the expectations of what can be done, or what will be done? (Console manufacturer Z viewers at home may feel their allegory senses tingling).

The easiest way to make a decision is to cast doubt over what is really necessary in feature Y because it is only a tool. Were valuable transistors dedicated for a purpose that isn't prevalent enough to warrant them. Of course the world is an uncertain future, and we do not necessarily know the direction that gaming will take. Company Y has invested effort in pursuing feature Y hoping that it will be an attractive selling point. Current technology is limited but satisfactory in its implementation, do we need any better?

The biggest fear is that it is underutilised through disinterest, or that it cannot deliver on its promises. This results in a 'feature deficit' and thus the consumer is more likely to side with console manufacturer X.

*In reality the transistor budget dedicated for CELL is not an ASIC and can be adapted for many purposes.

Of course, the whole situation is one big fallacy and took a shift at the goalposts somewhere along the way to exclusively pigeon hole feature Y as single purpose. I'm curious here, but wouldn't putting feature Y in a closed box environment with a large developer support only nurture its usage in the market? Isn't this how these things grow? (Demanding expectations now, for something that has been relatively underused in the current market seems somewhat naive)

Absolutely perfect theoritic post. Mmmkay I might have to high jack that quote from you for use in the future.;)

Mmmkay said:

I'm not sure if youre saying this is MY point or that my point differs from what has been the general discussion. My argument was platform and hardware agnostic, it was about the industry and their claims of how we all needed high powered physics engines to evolve in gaming. I'm not saying we do or we dont, i'm saying they havent backed up their claims and its been how long since ageia has been 'out there'? 18 months? And the best they could to make their point is that lame video comparison on their website?

Until they do, anyone does, color me skeptical that this isnt the industry trying to sell more hardware, or developers looking for a new way to market their products, or Epic trying to sell more engines because Unreal 3 has teh physx! ;)

expletive said:
I'm not sure if youre saying this is MY point or that my point differs from what has been the general discussion. My argument was platform and hardware agnostic, it was about the industry and their claims of how we all needed high powered physics engines to evolve in gaming. I'm not saying we do or we dont, i'm saying they havent backed up their claims and its been how long since ageia has been 'out there'? 18 months? And the best they could to make their point is that lame video comparison on their website?

Until they do, anyone does, color me skeptical that this isnt the industry trying to sell more hardware, or developers looking for a new way to market their products, or Epic trying to sell more engines because Unreal 3 has teh physx! ;)

I was saying what the discussion had turned into, not what you were saying ;)

[edit]Oops, I mean to say that it was the subtext of what other people were saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back