Sony E3 2009 Keynote Thread

Seen screenshots of Uncharted and GOW and they look amazing. that plus the animation I saw in the conference feed has me seriously wondering how far graphics can go this gen. I love that there is basically a LBP type racer coming. There should be a type of game like that for every gameplay genre. Keep them cutsy and suitable for kids. You can then get some adults trying to impress them making levels and teaching kids design and art.

Technically, GT5 is on schedule. Since early last year Kaz has been saying that GT5 would probably miss 2009 and be a 2010 game. He slightly backpedalled sometime late last year, but then I think he backpedalled from his backpedal. People have just been hoping that GT5 would be delivered early.

I'd say that Trico is a bit late (not really), considering Yoshida's 'team olympic' comments.

Good presentation by Sony. They couldn't resist pulling out the facts and figures, though. I have seen stated that these belong in a keynote, but I disagree. They can just as easily be disseminated in an accompanying press release and be added in to the reports the media write about the event after the fact.

All the info can easily be disseminated in a press release and press media website. It's whether Sony wants to emphasize the numbers, or elaborate on the details, to position themselves better.

He very carefully worded that FF14 will be exclusive to the PS3 in 2010. It'll probably come out in Nov/Dec 2010 and get released elsewhere in Jan. ;)

Maybe a 360 version a year later, or never.

Square Enix Unveils Newest Addition to the FINAL FANTASY Series, FINAL FANTASY XIV!

MMORPG Scheduled for Simultaneous Global Release on the PLAYSTATION 3 and Windows

LOS ANGELES, June 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Square Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix), announced that FINAL FANTASY XIV, an all new massively-multiplayer role-playing game (MMORPG), is planned for simultaneous global release with language support in Japanese, English, French and German.

Adventure begins anew in the vast realm of Eorzea!

More information on FINAL FANTASY XIV can be found at http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/.

About FINAL FANTASY XIV

Platforms: PLAYSTATION(R) 3 & Windows(R)
*Details on required PC specifications to be announced
at a later date
Languages: Japanese, English, German, French (simultaneous release)
Genre: MMORPG
Release: 2010
MSRP: TBD
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Copyright: (C) SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.

Development Staff
Producer: Hiromichi Tanaka (FINAL FANTASY I, II, III, XI)
Director: Nobuaki Komoto (FINAL FANTASY IX, XI)
Art Director: Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story(R), FINAL FANTASY XII)
Music: Nobuo Uematsu of SMILE PLEASE (FINAL FANTASY series)

Ref:

The new PS3 exclusive game from Rockstar - Agent

Copied this from the website, short and sweet.:D

Rockstar games is proud to announce Agent. Developed by the people behind Grand Theft Auto, Rockstar North, Agent will be exclusively on the PLAYSTATION 3 Computer Entertainment System

Agent takes players on a paranoid journey into the world of counter-intelligence, espionage and political assassinations during the height of the Cold War at the end of the 1970's

LINK - Its under the News Section

Just watched the sony motion control section again and it really is impressive. When they overlay the camera feed with the virtual object and you can see it in the guys hand it always keeps up. There are clipping issues tho lol.

I'm very disappointed by the God of War 3 footage. They've done absolutely nothing to improve on the game play. It looks like it plays almost exactly like the earlier games, which isn't necessarily bad, but all of that processing power could be put to more use than a graphical face lift.

Uncharted 2 remains my most anticipated PS3 game by a landslide.

Even uncharted's gameplay is fairly standard for last gen, just refined. It's presentation is off the charts tho. The scripted events are mind blowing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very disappointed by the God of War 3 footage. They've done absolutely nothing to improve on the game play. It looks like it plays almost exactly like the earlier games, which isn't necessarily bad, but all of that processing power could be put to more use than a graphical face lift.

So How do you feel about DMC4, SC4, Halo 3, NG2, etc. just as disappointed? Nothing this gen short of LBP has been much different than last gen besides the graphics.

So How do you feel about DMC4, SC4, Halo 3, NG2, etc. just as disappointed? Nothing this gen short of LBP has been much different than last gen besides the graphics.

No interest in DMC4. Halo 3 was fun in co-op, but I wouldn't play single player. NG2 seems pretty fun, but I never played the original. Pretty standard. LBP is ok.

I'm not saying God of War 3 isn't going to be good, but to me it's a big let down. It doesn't look like they made any attempts to innovate at all. It is a brief glimpse of gameplay. God of War was an incredibly polished button masher, with a lot of cinematic flair. They kind of rejuvinated that entire genre by showing an amount of polish and refinement that those games always lacked. Now 3 comes out at a time when the overall bar for games has been raised and they seem to have decided not to change a single thing.

The biggest problem with the E3 presentation of God of War 3 is that it seems like Asmussen (was it him?) sucks at his own game.

I enjoyed GoW a lot.

But I would be let down if GoW3 is just a singleplayer experience.

Don't have to innovate. Just copy co-op modes from other games.

I enjoyed GoW a lot.

But I would be let down if GoW3 is just a singleplayer experience.

Don't have to innovate. Just copy co-op modes from other games.

I don't know. They pushed the genre forward, raised the bar, and now they seem to be satisfied with a new paint job. It's still probably the leader in that genre, but I didn't think that would stop them from pursuing major improvements.

Well the original GoW supposedly took several years and the results wowed most people, extracting levels of performance late in the PS2's life that a lot of people didn't expect.

So maybe they're trying to achieve a similar impact, trying to raise the bar not just for PS3 games but this generation.

That alone could take up most of the resources.

Back