Sony E3 2009 Keynote Thread

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Ok, here we go for the final conference!

For the record, I have logged into Home to make sure that it is correct that nothing is happening there and the conference is streamed there non-live as was announced earlier on the playstation blog (the eu one at least, lol). The conference space is actually available in the European Home though which is cool.

Giving the IGN insider HD stream another go, though it'll probably crap out again and I'll have to fall back to g4.tv ... very lucky for me my son timed his willingness to sleep to just 10 minutes ago. Here we go!

Spotted a Pixeljunk Monsters PSP game in the opening real. A Katamari game (just mentioning the things I hadn't seen before).
Jack Tretton on, being all humble again, maybe even more so than last time. Mentions that there are 364 games coming out across the platforms this year, and they will show lots of live footage today. Claims 30% of 2008's revenue.

Starts with PS2. Mentions that $99 pricepoint helped PS2 outsell next-gen platforms in Canada and Brazil? (Did I get that right?). Mentions that they won't stop supporting the PS2 after 10 years ... will keep supporting as long as people buy games and consoles. This year another 100 titles for PS2. Considering today's PS2 owners tomorrow's PS3 owners.
On to PS3: 22 million units sold now, restates expecting to sell 13 million PS3s next year

Playstation Network: monster success, apparently. 24 million accounts (interestingly enough that's 2 million more than PS3s sold ;) - though fair enough, you can have an account on PSP)
Talks about Infamous, then on to Naughty Dog, introducing Evan Wells, showing Uncharted 2

* Jaw drops * Some amazing city overviews, beautiful roof with plants and pool, buildings being shot up by a helicopter, then floor half-collapsing with everything sliding downwards
Mag up next. They are going to do a 256 player live battle! That's 32 squads of eight - opening screen shows pictures of all players on screen. Then shows overview strategy map. Shows squad leader gameplay, calls airstrike, is countered by anti-air. The landscape is an open refinery/mining type with lots of working machinery. They're trying to capture a bunker. Securing forward landing zone brings in a bunch of choppers. Air strike shown. Ends with that the game will be playable on the show floor with full 256 players. Comes out this fall!
To PSP. Mentions current stats, existing software, success of bundles. Hana Montana pink PSP announced later this year for girls. Kaz Hirai coming up next, probably for the PSP Go? Yes. Claims that it is the result of input from developers and publishers. Tells us the stats we already know: 50 smaller than the 1k, 40% lighter, 16GB flash, m2 expansion slot, BlueTooth.
New bit: new media management system called Media Go to replace what's there now. Sense Me will also be added to the PSP, automatically suggesting media based on your existing tastes. PSP toolkits will be made cheaper (80% cheaper so that more people and even individuals can make games).

Stresses that all features will be supported across the two platforms, and UMD will also remain supported. Available 1st oktober in EU and US for 249,99 euro/dollar, and available in Japan at the same date also (didn't catch the yen number)

On to the video delivery service. 1900 movies, lots of tv shows (missed the number). All that will be available native to PSP now as well. Also lots more content coming, showtime, g4, e, hdnet, starstv, magnolia, etc.

Kazunori Yamauchi comes on stage! Speaking Japanese unfortunately, has a lousy interpreter with him, lol. He's going to show Gran Turismo on PSP, actually showing it right now. Runs at 60fps, 800 cars, 35 tracks, 60 layout variations (800 cars!) Single player contains races, time trials, drift trials, and licences. Says this is not a shrunken version. Ad hoc four player support. Specific for PSP also is trading cars and parts between players over ad-hoc. Says that collecting 800 cars is designed to be a lot easier when you play with friends and trade. Many GT PSP on display now on E3 for people to see that it's real. Yes, we might have doubted that otherwise. ;) Showing video now, and walks off. Ends with release date of October 1! I saw a Ferrari by the way ;)

Kojima comes on stage, probably for the new PSP MGS game. Brought his own translator, which is a shame. Peacewalker is the name of the new game. 10 years after MGS3, and it's a true sequel of MGS franchise. He's producing this title and writing the script, and the main team of the MGS franchise works on this title. Will support typical PSP stuff. Brought trailer, showing now.
Plays in Costa Rica. Outer Heaven deployed. Gameplay shown, looks excellent, very pretty. Lol, snake makes a body disappear with an air balloon. Multiple snakes! (three?) working together! Flying metal machines. Ends with a snake putting himself in a box, then is joined by another snake, lol! You're all invited to come and see the PSP Go!
Hirai off, back to Don, for ... more PSP! Now Resident Evil, new announced one. Confirms other titles, Harry Potter, LBP, Motorstorm, Fire Team Bravo, Jak & Daxter, a new Monster Hunter? Soul Calibur, some kind of Augmented Relaity game??? A new type of Echochrome, PJ Monster, Madden, Tiger Woods, a Tennis game, an RPG remake, Fat Princess PSP, something that looks like , Star Wars game, Infamous like game, pets type game, Hana Montana, Tennis game, NFL game? Rock Band, f me that's a lot.
Back to PSN: 475 milion pieces of content downloaded, more than 200 titles, 90 exclusives. 50 PSOne titles announced, starting today with FFVII!
Now on to Home. 6.5 million people, of which 85% return users (interestnig addition). 100.000 units sold in less than two months for Resident Evil and Street Fighter (each? that's some easy money!)
Gives a small summary of what's happened in Home over the last 6 months. Jokes that he's the Mohawk guy and his nick is MrT.
Now on to PS3 (jeez, I can't believe we only go thtere now)
Uncharted 2 starts, Infamous, Madden, Final Fantasy (new stuff), Mag, Arkham, Brutal Legend, white night, rally game, ghostbusters, Ninja Gaiden, Mafia 2, Buzz, Street Fighter, Jak, I can't keep up, giving up.
Pickng out EyePet as a game that's clearly evolved a bit, new stuff being shown.
Ends with God of War. So many stuff, game me a headache.
New Rockstar property announced exclusive to PS3, called Agent. Placed in the seventies
Assassin's Creed 2 on-stage demo next. Warning, lots of spoilers. Seems to show in-game stuff, placed in Venice / Italian Renaissance. Crowds are pretty interesting (shows a party with dancing). New main-character, someone who isn't an assassin at first. He has a Q in the form of Leonardo DaVinci, lol. You can fly through the city with a glider, looks very pretty with motion blur, fireworks all around. Double blad kill. Game looks very cool. New AI in the form of seekers. PSP version will unlock 6 additional weapons in the PS3 version. When he kills his target, reality falls apart momentarily. He is surrounded and can use a smokebomb to escape, ends with diving into the water. Game looks very, very impressive. Stresses at the end that it's very, very big. Both PSP and PS3 games will be on store shelves this holiday.
Final Fantasy XIII video coming up next. As expected, it looks amazing. However, they're also going to show footage of FF XIV which is a 2010 exclusive ... !? Ooh, and it's an online! So there's one that didn't leak out huh?, he jokes.
Uh-oh, here comes the motion control. They're going to do a live demo, man showing it is the original EyeToy designer. It's the patented thing and that's the engeneering prototype that we've seen in the patents. He's really really nervious and probably still in shock after the Microsoft unveil. Tech demos coming up. The tracking is pretty good, that's clear. No real lag at all. He overlays a real-time tennis racket, club. It is lighting fast :D Shows two of them at once
He writes, works wgreat. Tracking is sub-milimeter accurate. Pretty cool spray painting. Precision is pretty amazing. This will be interesting, because Wii-mote stuff and especially wii-mote plus stuff will translate pretty well to this. That's an advantage over Microsoft's technology, which however I still think is more cool and has better potential. But, this is also clearly good enough! And sure to work in the dark. ;)
On with the show. Mentions LBP as a key development for the style of games that shape the PS3. And so they introduce ModNation Racers, which is supposed to be racing version of LBP. Suddenly I'm really hoping for a Micro Machines style game. No, it's a kart racer with physics and lots of weapons.
You can create the guys, the cars? And yes, the full tracks. Going to show the editor now. You can make a track by driving, controlling elevation with the other stick. Creates overpasses automatically. Now it can be modded - track surface changed, drawing mountains, water, houses, trees, weapons, sheep. Change the lake height, add a sunset with shadow. All this done within something like five minutes. Shows off some cool weapons. Release in 2010, lots of new stuff is and will be added until then.
Up next Trico! Called Last Guardian. Trailer starts as we've seen it before. Looks like it's the trailer that's leaked - so apparently that wasn't that old. Creature is really beautiful though, lighting is awesome. Trailer is slightly different, goes on a bit longer. Lovely. I especially think the eyes are awesome!
Short GT5 teaser up next. Animated real locations shown, Nascar shown, W2C shown (so lots of true licences!), rally features damage! Nascar too? Not sure. Oh my god the Le Mans lighting looks crazy. So short but it looks ... *jaw drops* Lighting is insane. Smart coup, those licences!
First few minutes of God of War up next, played live.
Going to continue here because edit button becomes slow.
Interesting, if you blend the two guys from the team together you get Kratos.
Okay, those golden statues look better than anything similar I've ever seen. It's like the metal of the treausre you ifnd in Uncharted 1, but much prettier. Gosh, yes, the games does look like a painting. For once, Jaffe wasn't exaggerating!
And my goodness, this game is INTENSE. So many stuff happening in just five minutes - amazing.
25 minute demo on gamefloor!
End!

Uncharted 2 looks amazing!! Especially the beginning of the presentation with huge vistas. Simply beautiful!

Yes, these guys clearly know where to go on vacation. [envious]

I like the Harrier too. What is a Harrier doing in that location ?

EDIT: Hmm... live MAG so soon ? They need to show this right now with 256 testers.

Back