Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite, etc CrossPlay on every Platform but Sony because...

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by iroboto, Jun 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Okay. That's why no-one complained then - it's not having an affect on the games for the vast majority.

2. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Not on Sea of Thieves. Since the launch, all console & PC players play together & there's no option to segregate them. That will change soon though. Cross play will be optional for console gamers who use a controller & want to play with other console players with the same. This is meant help even the playing field & they're doing it prior to launching the PvP-mode called The Arena. Should get more news soon on when that's going to happen in the next week or so.

Tommy McClain

BRiT likes this.
  3. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Not about crossplay, but about limits imposed by Sony...

Sony is the Reason We {Bungie and Destiny} Cannot Do Character Transfers

Was just listening to the latest Kotaku Splitscreen podcast episode. Right around the 57 minute mark, Jason Schreier mentions that Bungie wanted to enable character transfers between PC, Xbox, and Sony. He then stated Sony wouldn’t allow it.

https://overcast.fm/+FKOYoMxYg/57:15

4. Wahz

Newcomer

5. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

And I think we’re done with this thread.
    xbox login on PlayStation. Mad lads did it.

Silent_Buddha and Shifty Geezer like this.
  6. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Not until all games are cross-play enabled where appropriate.

iroboto likes this.
  7. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Not played Minecraft (on PC) in years. Has Xbox login replaced Mojang accounts?

8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I'm investigating cloud saves and have checked out the three possibilities (without much success so far!) - Google's Firebase and whatnot, Amazons AWS, and MS's PlayFab. PlayFab is the only one tooted as all platforms listing consoles, and it allows you to log into a PlayFab account from any of the major platforms - PSN, Facebook, Steam, Kongregate, etc. Minecraft is listed as a PlayFab title - I guess they retrofitted it.

As far as logins go on PlayFab titles, there's no one way, one particular type of account you need. You can use any and it's paired with an account on the PlayFab backend and can be linked to other accounts and even specific devices.

The major downside for PlayFab is it's created a certain way, assuming a certain type of content structure (characters, inventory), rather than just presenting a set of core tools to use like a database (where AWS offers you no less than 14 different databases to choose from!). Ann the documentation is classic, "here are all the pieces and no picture of what the final thing should look like." Seems like since the invention of the hyperlink, researchers have to create their own top-down view of a product/service/tech!

At this point though, cross-game services exist and are in use. Limits on devs deploying alternative logins will come from the companies blocking it, with good reason. But with something like PlayFab integrating the different platform services, the future should just be logging in and pairing accounts with games.

Edit: Additionally, just seen how cross-game purchases work. You can link a PlayFab title with a PSN title (or other service). A purchase on PSN then registers with PlayFab, where you can update the PlayFab user account with the purchase info, and restore that via PlayFab API calls on any version of the software. PlayFab is offering, on the surface of it at least, a cross-platform user purchasing and content management system.

#428 Shifty Geezer, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    DSoup, Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  9. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Requires Xbox login/account for the cross play aspect. I think if you’re still going solo/custom server you are fine. I believe bedrock is a different variant of Minecraft compared to the olde PC ones. But I should ask my brothers family about that; no one here plays Minecraft in my household.

DSoup likes this.
  10. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

PUBG is testing out Cross Party Play between Sony Ps4 and Microsoft Xbox ecosystems with their latest patch.

Scott_Arm and iroboto like this.
  11. DSoup

DSoup meh

Look at this canny, shrewd bugger who back in Summer of 2018 predicted a change in policy ahead of PS5. We should listen to him more. :runaway:

Arwin, Nesh and egoless like this.
  12. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Damn son

This is a really bad look for sony . I guess now we know why they are doubling down on investing in epic.

PSman1700 and Scott_Arm like this.
  13. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

14. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

15. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Tom's listening to the Epic Games -vs- Apple call and live tweeting reactions. Here's one related to CrossPlay:

PSman1700 and Scott_Arm like this.
  16. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

17. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Not sure, but Epic has made several payments to Sony because of that agreement. Many in the industry are listening in live to the Epic Games vs Apple court call and reporting on any tidbits.

orangpelupa likes this.
  18. Scott_Arm

Legend

I don't understand Sony arguing that they can lose revenue with cross-platform play on a multi-platform game. Like, what counts as a loss? Are they assuming that every time a Playstation users parties up with an Xbox player that the Xbox player is a "loss" because they would have bought a playstation to play with their friends? Pretty shitty behaviour from Sony from my perspective. Letting people play together is good for consumers.

Johnny Awesome likes this.
  19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

And not having crossplay means that player might convert to Xbox to play with their friends when otherwise they may have stayed with their preferred platform and still enjoy the multiplayer game. As you mention, Sony seem to see it as X losses instead of Y gains. Sony also seem to have this Apple attitude that their users should only exist in their "superior" ecosystem.

Johnny Awesome likes this.
  20. Insight

Newcomer

There are senarios where they are losing money. If someone buys a PS4 as Fortnite machine (very common) and only pays in iOS device as it's more convenient, they sell you PS4s to spend money on it.
    MS can make profits as Fortnite is locked behind Gold, MS is getting paid regardless where players make their IAP purchases.

MOD EDIT: As was pointed out in responses later, at the time of the deal F2P was locked behind Gold, but is no longer the situation.