So...which HDTV do you have?

kyleb, do you notice a difference in frame rate? Because you can send as many fps you want but some displays will only show a select few of them. Case in point: Qualke 3 running at 400 fps but your CRT monitor can only scan at 100 Hz. Smooth picture but you will only ever see 100 fps. Could this be the case with your 1080p montior?

I good place for a question. Some LCD TVs list in their specs such things as - 'HDTV 1366 x 768p resolution'. Why this difference? What actually happens when you play a 720p video?

Thanks for any explanations.

Bjorn said:
rabidrabbit said:
I have no HDTV capable display currently, but I plan to get either the Sony Cineza VPL-HS50 or Panasonic PT-AE700.

Get the HS50, it's worth the extra money imo.
I agree only if you want to make yourself a big gift. 'cause i have a filter on the lens of my PTAE-700 and the result is awesome. I guess i am really near the theorical max contrast (2000:1).

Ty said:
rabidrabbit said:
except DLP RPTV's, but they're a bit too bulky. A projector will do fine until I can afford a +50" LCD

DLPs bulky? Are you including the stand? Good luck on your wait for 50+" LCDs behing cheap.

I have a run-of-the-mill NEC 42" PDP.
Yeah, for me the RPTV's are a bit too bulky, though I know the new dlp models are already very slim, some even being able to hanf on the wall. Although I really haven't seen these new slim dlprptv's in person... maybe they'll still be an option.
Yes, I was kinda kidding on the affordable +50" LCD's ;)

planning to get 50" Hitachi plasma HDTV by end of the year. it owuld be the perfect match for the PS3 that i'll be getting. might get xbox360 if Gears of war is coming exclusively to the xbox.

Conker Live said:
kyleb, do you notice a difference in frame rate? Because you can send as many fps you want but some displays will only show a select few of them. Case in point: Qualke 3 running at 400 fps but your CRT monitor can only scan at 100 Hz. Smooth picture but you will only ever see 100 fps. Could this be the case with your 1080p montior?

I don't think his monitor is 1080p... He mentioned as just being an ED plasma... In any case, the problem is you're confusing ASTC broadcast specifications (which only deals with the format of the transport stream broadcast to your tuner) rather than port specifications for your TV (being DVI or HDMI). Pretty much any TV with a DVI port or HDMI port should be able to take a 1080p/60Hz signal just fine...

As for the gaming framerates, it really isn't any different than playing on your monitor, although you may get a distorted image due to aspect ratios and the colors and gamma will be off (different standards for TVs than computer monitors)

I have a Hyundai Imagequest L90D+ that I can sort of use as an EDTV with a component to vga adapter.
It runs xbox and gamecube games just fine(well, not all xbox games just fine, for some reason some xbox games have severe visual errors...I think the xbox video cable may overheat from having the hot air from the xbox blown on it, that or the xbox itself is overheating since the errors gradually get worse), as well as DVDs. Unfortunately, though its max res is above 1280x720 it doesn't appear to support it, but I'll probably try to go for a cheap LCD HDTV(capable of 720P only, I don't think 1080i or 1080p will see much use this generation) when the next gen of consoles come out. Hmm...when is xbox 360 coming out?

Conker Live said:

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning as I said/mean 60hz and not 60fps, just like if you set a CRT to 100hz and even if you are only geting 5fps it is still being refreshed at 100hz. But to answer your question; yes there is a noticeble difference between 30fps and 60fps when running 1920x1080@60hz on my display.

But back towards the topic, I'm curious as to all the nice HD displays people have around here; which of those support the 1920x1080@60hz that it seems Sony wants to make standard with the PS3?

With all due respect, you were better off sticking with the "60 fps" spec. for your query. Nearly all CRT-based 1080 native hdtv's will display 60 Hz interlaced. ;)

Dr Evil said:
The thread was about which hdtv you have, not which hdtv you dreamed of last night :)

Heh, I was wondering if anyone was thinking this as well? ;)

Back