SimBin making a sim racer for 360

What do you guys think, is the Xbox 360 hardware really the limiting factor for this game to be not 60fps but only 30fps?

Is this a serious question? or just bad phrasing?

Did you really just ask if the hardware of the 360 is the reason the game runs at 30 fps on the 360?

SimBin PC sim racers also do not look too beautiful but this game looked dated resolution and aa cannot save this game. But if you guys haven't played their sim racers on PC you can try it. TBH GTL 2005 game looks better and is one of my fav sim game on PC. If this game was released 2yrs before it would be decent :rolleyes:

Is this a serious question? or just bad phrasing?

Did you really just ask if the hardware of the 360 is the reason the game runs at 30 fps on the 360?

Yes, i did. Because of two reasons.

One is, that i don't think/can't really imagine, that the Xbox 360 is the reason the game runs at 30fps instead of 60fps.

Second is, that i'm not completely sure about that though and was wondering why no users of this forum seemed to comment on this:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7510_en.html

Have you gone for 30fps or 60fps, and what influenced your decision?
DS: RACE pro runs at 30fps. Ultimately, the Xbox 360 hardware dictated our decision as it also needed to run our level of simulation.

Graphically wise it should likely be clear that there probably can only be an optimization issue, because the graphics don't seem to be that much demanding. Furthermore Forza Motorsport 2 for example manages to run at 60fps on the same hardware.

But who knows about their 'level of simulation' argument.

As already said, not sure about all this.

So why not ask people who probably know better about this and can be sure about what they are saying about Xbox 360 hardware, performance and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamersyde seemed to really like the game which is surprising. They have me interested in the demo.

You will be appalled when you see Race Pro for the first time. It lacks the artistry and polish that even bad games have.

Race Pro feels pre-gen, like something that should have rubbed shoulders with four-wheeled fiends on Dreamcast, PlayStation 2 and Xbox. And even here it would have been mediocre in my opinion.

I think SimBin have completely missed the mark... because they weren't aiming for it to begin with. :unsure: Race Pro isn't about bringing the GTR and RACE experience to consoles; it is about getting a Lizard engine ready for first-person shooters. Apparently Infinity Ward's World of Warcraft—err, Call of Duty 4—didn't do too shabby at the box office, and everybody wants a piece of that pie.

SimBin's not alone. Colin McRae Rally and TOCA maker Codemasters debuted their EGO engine (a la GRID) with a few hiccups last year. Unlike SimBin, however, Codie's operation is such that they are able to develop/test their middleware on multiple platforms and genres. I do not think SimBin have these economies of scale.

P.S. As I recall, Forza 2 Motorsport runs at 30fps, but for the sake of interactivity the game engine renders at 60fps.

You're right.

"The next cut-away zooms in on the Nissan Fairlady Z's suspension. Note how the camber - the angle the tire forms with the road - changes as the car rips through a right-hander. Dan boasts that the physics on the suspension updates at a scorching 360 frames per second to provide the most realistic simulation." – QJ.NET

I've analysed 20 clips of action from RacePro and find that it runs at 30fps with little incident, but - astonishingly - 46.9% of the 60Hz output of the 360 consists of torn frames. As there is little left-to-right movement, the impression is of the screen wobbling slightly. Not as massive an impact on image quality as the number suggests, but doesn't say great things about the engine.

I've analysed 20 clips of action from RacePro and find that it runs at 30fps with little incident, but - astonishingly - 46.9% of the 60Hz output of the 360 consists of torn frames. As there is little left-to-right movement, the impression is of the screen wobbling slightly. Not as massive an impact on image quality as the number suggests, but doesn't say great things about the engine.

Physics not running at a multiple of 30FPS?!
Seems odd if true.

Back