SimBin making a sim racer for 360

thambos

Newcomer
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=178188

Atari flashes exclusive 360 racing game

Atari has decided its next move will be an exclusive Xbox 360 racing game called RACE Pro, due sometime this autumn.

This is being made by Swedish clever-clogs SimBin, which was responsible for those very admirable GTR excursions.

RACE Pro is going for the authentic aspect of driving and has brokered some exclusive deals to reproduce Alfa Romeo, BMW and Chevrolet WTCC cars, and to recreate the Macau, Porto and Pau courses.

There are loads more cars and tracks besides, plus various championships to race in and career ladders to climb.

RACE Pro also has a casual side to ensnare a wider audience, such as a quick to play Mini Cooper Challenge and a Hot Seat mode where you pass your pad to you friends like a hot potato after a certain amount of time behind the wheel.

Otherwise Live and local multiplayer is in for you and up to 11 other players.

Did you know that the term horsepower was made up by a man watching a pony lift coal? Using a pulley not its hoof-hands. We didn't until we read Wikipedia.

RACE Pro may have started life as the Xbox 360 GTR game SimBin was making for THQ but never finished. Unfortunately Atari was unavailable to clear this up.

Should be worth a look, then. And look you can at the very first screenshots in our RACE Pro gallery.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/7/8/1/8/1/RACE_Pro_Shot_2.jpg.jpg

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/7/8/1/8/1/RACE_Pro_Shot_3.jpg.jpg

Wonder if this game will necessitate a wheel? Im guessing there will be even more in the way of optional assists than their PC releases.

I hope Simbin dont ditch the PC. If they did though it could be good news for Microsoft whose 360 might look a little bit more attractive to the sim hungry German gamers.

Gee I can remember when GTR2 was being talked about for the 360 like 3 years ago... They actually going to do it this time?

Hopefully it doesnt' conflict with Forza 3 for attention. If this came out next year and Forza 3 in the following year, it'd be perfect.

Race Pro Gets Release Date and New Trailer

Race Pro, the upcoming racing simulation game from developer SimBin, is on track for a November release date, publisher Atari confirmed today.

The Xbox 360-exclusive title features a variety of cars, including formula, GT and WTCC, and includes more than 15 real-life tracks from around the world.

Known for creating highly realistic PC racing sims like GTR, Swedish developer SimBin is making its first foray onto consoles with Race Pro.

I sincerely hope they keep it hard-core enough. If so, I might buy it. ;)

Hands On: RACE Pro

The tracks are all actual race tracks you’d see in real life..

Even the oldest car models in the game – a sweet 80s BMW and an Aston-Martin DV… something or other – are totally realistic from the body detail to the sound of the engine (both inside and outside the car)....

I actually felt bad for wrecking cars in this game. Because not only do the cars look so good as to make me want to keep them shiny – the consequences for wrecking your car are severe. It’s not like other games where you get a wicked-looking damage model and maybe you go a little slower while smoke pours out from under the hood. In RACE Pro, I slammed into a brick wall and broke my steering column. For the rest of that track, I couldn’t really steer anymore and the car kept desperately listing to the left. Eventually, I ran over a curb and did something that screwed up my transmission such that the Audi couldn’t even accelerate anymore and I had to quit out.

I’m not going lie – this isn’t a game for casual types or Mario Kart devotees. It’s multiplayer-friendly, though, so if you know a guy who’s into racing like nobody’s business, you’ll have no problems playing with him...

And if you are that guy that’s into racing, I’ve honestly never seen a better console game for you.

Checking out the article to see some screenshots, I think the most relevant part is the opening paragraph...
I’m clueless about racing games, but even I can see a huge difference between RACE Pro and every other racing game out there. Whereas other games all have some gimmick going to trick you into racing (like in Burnout, where the point is to wreck the car, or in Need for Speed where the point is to make the money to buy the best car), RACE Pro is just about racing.
The review seems to take an uninformed stereotypical view of all other racing games and doesn't credit GT or Forza as being racing 'sims' rather than arcade racers. I don't know how Forza's damage works, but if you crash headlong into a brick wall, does that spell the end of the race for you?

Checking out the article to see some screenshots, I think the most relevant part is the opening paragraph...The review seems to take an uninformed stereotypical view of all other racing games and doesn't credit GT or Forza as being racing 'sims' rather than arcade racers. I don't know how Forza's damage works, but if you crash headlong into a brick wall, does that spell the end of the race for you?

Not always :( The "simulation" damage model in FM2 -- while having pros like tracking a ton of different parts and realtime effect to the car -- is far, far too weak. A big hit will do damage but all to often a wreck that should disable your car you can drive away from at 90%-ish abilities left.

Yeah, it prevents people from being too mad/quiting because they can still drive (just not compete for podium finishes) but I think it is too mild in that it doesn't serve up serious consequences for contact. They really needed another setting "real world" where your tires pop, even fall off (ala Toca 3) and a solid bump is gonna impact your racing (areodynamics, alignment, potential tie rod and such damage, and so on) and medium crashes make the car very difficult to drive. Serious bumps to core driving components should be "race over" and a t-bone at moderate speeds or into a wall should trash your car and race over, end of story.

FM2 does a lot of things right (e.g. wreckless drivers, or those going in reverse, can be "ghosted" in most game settings as not to harm those with skill and/or trying to race) and Turn10 is limited to a degree by licenses ... but they really could have done more here. The lack of a more realistic simulation damage mode is dissappointing.

iirc SimBin is using technology from the rFactor guys--which is an excellent racing sim on the PC. They do damage well... and everything else for that matter. It doesn't look to be a pretty game ... but if they have a good variety of cars, tracks, and most importantly racing options + 16 players online and solid Wheel support then thumbs up. Getting solid options, like rubberbanding support like mentioned in the other thread could be very cool for longevity and making it more newb friendly. GOOD tutorials / skill progression tools to get newbs up to speed is a MUST for this game. Sim racers have been dropping the ball here.

So far it's not looking up to what I have been hoping for it. I'm definitely not going to buy it without a demo.

Back