server/htpc, this any good?

It is :p So h264 software should also be able to accelerate x264? strange as my mate said it didnt work for his ati card that has hardware acceleration.

Well the key is in the software I think, not just the hardware. He may well be right, it didn't work with the combination he was trying, though that doesn't rule out that it would have worked if he'd tried a different combo :) Ask him what player he was using...

Anyway, I'll just get that 4450 which is 2x2,3Ghz, I'm sure that will be fast enough even if the cpu has to take care of everything.
I think so. Makes sense, these things are cheap these days :)

If you aren't able to view some x264 files using hardware decode, CoreAVC is a cheap and very fast software codec. Practically any half-decent CPU + CoreAVC should enable you to watch most any h264 stream you encounter.

It's what I'm currently using on my UVD-less system!

It is :p So h264 software should also be able to accelerate x264? strange as my mate said it didnt work for his ati card that has hardware acceleration. Anyway, I'll just get that 4450 which is 2x2,3Ghz, I'm sure that will be fast enough even if the cpu has to take care of everything.

Doesn't work for me either and my X2 4200 drops frames all the time too.

Need to try CoreAVC.

Back