You're building a new PC this year, which platform do you choose?

Pfft, those were pretty crap. I'd go Sun UltraSPARC if you want something somewhat useful. Back in those days of the E-series Sun servers, the Solaris operating system was actually quite useful and got a lot of work done at the high-end enterprise and government space. For a very long time, Sun's marketing slogan was "We put the dot in dot com" because almost every one of the (15 or so at the time) top-level domain controllers for the entire internet in the late 90's and early 2000's were Sun Microsystems E15000 servers.

Yeah, not anymore lol.

I was running my Intel 6c/12t 3930k (despite the name, it's Sandy Bridge architecture like the i3/i5/i7 2xxx series) until two years ago. The 32GB of quad channel ram can still compete (bandwidth, latency) with dual-channel DDR4 kits of last gen, even if the 4.5GHz clock speed on such an old arch really ends up being more equivalent to an i3-10300u or some such. Still, it had a 1080Ti and a pair of Sammy 850 SATA drives and performed admirably for the near-decade of its service. I respect your approach :)
Yea those 6 core Intel-E parts like the 3930k and 5820k(which was still only Haswell) were pretty good long-term investments. The 6 cores, the extra memory capabilities, 12MB+ of L3, etc.

My only real complaint is the idle power was bad by standards of the time, and flat terrible by current standards. Even in the most "efficient" firmware settings, it idles at like 75W at stock speeds with speedstep fully working and having downclocked to like 600MHz as it should. I think the consensus was the X79 chipset was really meant for server use, thus idle power draw was never something which needed focus. It's my Linux folding rig now, thanks to the glorious 48 lanes of PCIe 3.0.

Back