SEGA - PowerVR - May 20th [ oh please be Series 5!]

amk said:
I wasn't being entirely serious you know.

Oh, did I say 16 sample? I meant 64.

You shouldn't be joking about those things. You never know what may or may not be true after all ;)

@ TEXAN, just like the thread in the console forum:

"als het nieuwe systeem natuurlijk in de eerste plaats getoond wordt."

Mind the last sentence of the article. In English:

"if the new system is shown in the first place of course."

There's a degree of probability in it.

Furthermore:

"Als eerste is Tokio op 20 mei aan beurt, vervolgens Osaka op 24 mei, en als laatste krijgt ook Fukuoka op 26 mei Sega’s nieuwste arcadekasten over de vloer."

This means the show is planned for Tokyo on May 20th, Osaka on May 24th, and finally Fukuoka on May 26th. The last part of the sentence means that these cities will get Sega's newest titles and cabinets on the show floor, and not specifically a new arcade board. "arcadekasten" is "arcade cabinets" in English. ;)

TEXAN said:
I believe that the system shall be a generation or two ahead of the next consoles

Hmm one generation usually last's about 4-5 years. Now the next generation starts about 2006, so going forward two generations we should be in 2014-2016, I think the home consoles are quite a bit more advanced then what SEGA SAMMY's arcade machine unveiled this year :LOL:. Hell I'm quite sure that PS4 in 2010-2011 will wibe the floor with it.

Both upcoming consoles and Sega's Arcade GPU will have most likely the same level of compliance; what it could come down to is if and how many elements of the future WGF2.0 feature-set each architecture will have.

None of them sounds to be below SM3.0 specs and none this far fully WGF2.0 compliant.

***edit:

LindBergh? Uhmmm if that should be true, who the hell came up with such a weird name anyway? Sounds like a swiss chocolate brand to me :LOL:

TEXAN said:
I believe that the system shall be a generation or two ahead of the next consoles

I think it will be 28 generations ahead, cause Sega is just soooo ahead of everyone else, including ATI, NVIDIA, IBM, Intel and AMD, put together multiplied by 83, that's the minumum i'd expect from them. :rolleyes:

In graphics terms, a generation is the eight or so months between new cards. When the PowerVR2DC was released, the Voodoo3 wasn't even out yet.

Ailuros said:
LindBergh? Uhmmm if that should be true, who the hell came up with such a weird name anyway? Sounds like a swiss chocolate brand to me :LOL:
Sounds swedish to me. This thing could really be flying...

Lazy8s said:
In graphics terms, a generation is the eight or so months between new cards. When the PowerVR2DC was released, the Voodoo3 wasn't even out yet.

that's true - the best consumer/gaming graphics tech that was out there for PCs at the time (late 1998) was Voodoo2 SLI.

I remember reading the tech specs on the latest PVR series some time earlier last year or even before that on Beyond3D. Now i am not gfx expecrt [interms of real-time gfx] but the thing that really turned me on for its features was Hardware Voxels. I remember voxels in games like Comanche 3 [or is it 2...fook it, i can't remember], as well as some weird arse futuristic game in the 486 or Pentium one era. They were decidedly blocky [thats what happens when you resample 3D pixels i guess], the the best example of voxels i saw was Outcast, use as the rendering engine and filtered with no 3D card in site since at that time 3D cards [i thin it was the Voodoo 1 at the time], could only render using triangle or something. I remember how good Outcast looked, way ahead of its time in terms of software rendering and when i hard the Series 5 or something was gonna use it, i creamed my pants. I remember one of the disadvantages of using Voxels was its blockyness as the pixels were interpolated or resampled which was probably one of the reasons why it never took of that much and i guess outcast came to late due to the evolution of 3D acceleration. eitherway one has to wonder what Hardware Voxels support would look like..........or am i talking out of my gary glitter :oops:

I hadn't heard that they were developing explicit support for voxels in hardware. Maybe it was just rumor.

I very much doubt any graphics chip will have specific tech to accelerate voxels in hardware in the foreseeable future. Mixing techniques is problematic, and polygons are much more generally useful.

There is a PVR demo of voxels using pixel shader 3 here, which maybe influenced the rumour.

AFAIK voxels in games have only been used for landscapes, a very simplified use of them. One problem they had was that it is difficult to get 6 DOF movement, although one of the Delta Force games managed it. The need for high quality filtering of the heightmap (to avoid flickering in the distance and blockiness close) is also a problem as it used to be done by the CPU. Presumaby it could be done in hardware using pixel shaders, but I've never seen it done.

With the advent of Pixel Shader 3_0, graphics hardware has become capable of rendering hardware-accelerated voxels.

Obviously the demo was aiming to illustrate just another possibility of using PS3.0; whether any sort of voxels will ever be used in games we'll have to see. Then again we haven't seen any of the techniques used yet in games that are included in the 3 DX9.0 demos (closest chance could be if rumours are true that STALKER uses a very similar deferred shading technique to the DS demo).

I remember reading the tech specs on the latest PVR series some time earlier last year or even before that on Beyond3D.

Where? There was a mention on B3D's frontpage that judging from the demos Series5 might be capable of PS/VS3.0, but nothing else since it has never been officially announced as an architecture.

Ailuros said:
Where? There was a mention on B3D's frontpage that judging from the demos Series5 might be capable of PS/VS3.0, but nothing else since it has never been officially announced as an architecture.
Well, since the PowerVR's site has had PS/VS3 demos for a while now, it seems damned obvious that the series 5 will be capable of PS/VS3.

Chalnoth said:
Ailuros said:
Well, since the PowerVR's site has had PS/VS3 demos for a while now, it seems damned obvious that the series 5 will be capable of PS/VS3.

Still no spec list. B3D posted a safe assumption based on the demos on it's frontpage; I obviously didn't remember the fake 3dmark picture with the hypothetical Series5 specs he was referring to.

Back