SEGA - PowerVR - May 20th [ oh please be Series 5!]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Megadrive1988, May 2, 2005.

1. Megadrive1988

Veteran

MAZYORA on GAF posted this

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=45530

original source: http://the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

oh man, I hope this is SERIES 5, baby.

hey you PowerVR guys, drop us some hints, pretty please ;)

2. PC-Engine

Banned

Hope this is real. I'd love to see what SEGA's games will look like on this vs NAOMI2.

3. TEXAN

Regular

This is awesome news, I thought they were to reveal it on September the 1st. But it's really THIS MONTH!!!!!

SEGA SAMMY's new system will be off the charts.

4. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

Of course is it Series5; what else could it be? 50 scaled MBX's? :lol:

5. _xxx_

Banned

Apperantly Sega will just show some software and NO new hardware, according to one of the (as it seems) more informed people on that board.

6. amk

amk
    Newcomer

So next gen consoles will be able to handle identical conversions. So, if this is Series 5 based "Naomi 3" - why did Sega design custom hardware rather than adapt a next gen console?

I'd expect a new custom high end arcade machine to be able to do something consoles can't do, such as heavy use of stencil buffers in the case of PowerVR. Otherwise, surely a modified console would be a far better solution for both the arcade and console manufacturers.

7. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

price and not having any outside influence from another videogame company might be reasons. if sega ever wanted to return to the home console market they would have a solid hardware base, system engeneers, ect at their disposal from their arcade hardware division.

8. TEXAN

Regular

I think this is a bad mistranslation of the original gamefront news. I agree with amk, there's no chance in hell that the next board will be identical in power to the next consoles.

I believe that the system shall be a generation or two ahead of the next consoles and that accurate conversions won't be possible until atleast PS4.

Also I just had a word with one of my insider guys and he tells me that the 20th is the final day of E3 and that it will actually be the 19th in LA because of timezone differences and Sega Sammy "wouldn't let it fight for headlines with E3."

False Alarm.

September 1st still on.

9. gurgi

Regular

Not to open a can of worms here, but didn't SEGA license AGEIA PPU hardware?

10. Matt B

Newcomer

Sorry if I may have missed something important here but what are you referring to?

11. Sonic

Sonic Senior Member
    Veteran

September 1st has a few significant reasons why it will be big for SEGA. Hardware may be one, but software is definitely another.

This is good news if it is true. It's been a long time coming since the new arcade board has been announced and I bet that many people are anticipating this. If it is indeed Series 5 then it will be a real treat to see the arcade board in action!

12. kyetech

Regular

GENTLEMEN START YOUR ENGINES.......

da da da daa da daa da da da daaa daaaaaaaaaaa.

DAYTONA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAME OVER YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant wait !

13. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

Apart from the fact that TBDRs have usually more Z/stencil units than IMRs, I can't imagine anything for that department that would suppose added functionalities. You're barking at the wrong tree I think.

Does anyone expect here that next generation consoles will be less than SM3.0 compliant? I don't think so; which basically should cover the "identical conversions" stuff.

14. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

Those arcade machines we're talking about are high end/ low volume. Apart from the fact that cooperations between SEGA/PowerVR go way back to the Dreamcast era, SEGA is practically a part of Sammy.

Sammy holds a license for MBX for low end/high volume amusement devices.

I doubt at this point that there are any plans outside the forementioned for the time being at least, to minimize the risk.

15. Fodder

Fodder Stealth Nerd
    Veteran

Don't EA now own exclusive rights for Nascar games?

16. amk

amk
    Newcomer

To clarify, I don't just mean added functionality but also added performance in at least one respect.

That is, I expect a high end custom arcade machine to produce graphics which cannot be reproduced on consoles without sacrificing something.

Either the machine would simply be more powerful overall, or it would empower the developers to do something specific they want to do but cannot realise on a console.

One area "Naomi 3" should have a distinct advantage in is anti aliasing. I demand 16 sample rotated grid multisampling with zero performance hit!

17. _xxx_

Banned

amk, since you wouldn't be able to configure anything, you'd never be able to know that there is a performance hit anyway...

18. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

Hmmmm pretty high demands, considering that all of today's high end GPUs are merely capable of 2x MSAA samples per cycle. Loops cost inevitably some fill-rate in order to achieve higher sampling modes.

In order to gain a real "0" performance hit with 16xMSAA (and a lossless algorithm) under all occasions, I'd suspect that a pretty high investment in added transistors would be required.

If I look into MBX's (not Lite) AA capabilities (albeit only limited to ordered grid), 4xFSAA is achieved with a combination of 2x vertical SSAA and 2x horizontal MSAA. Could be that it's an indication, yet not a guarantee either.

That probably will be the case, yet I guess it's hard to predict if developers will take advantage of all the functionalities at least in the beginning. Hopefully the presentation (whenever that takes place) will include a full list of specifications and not just some marketing fluff numbers or claims.

19. amk

amk
    Newcomer

I wasn't being entirely serious you know.

Oh, did I say 16 sample? I meant 64.

20. TEXAN

Regular

Holy shit!

ITS TIME TO MASTERBATE!

According to this website, it's won't be shown on the 20th in Tokyo but in Fukuoka 26th the last date. Thus no clash with E3!

the site is in dutch but here is a translation-

http://www.servicegames.nl/index.php?ac=news&sac=view&id=1867&s=