Rocket League [PS4, XO]

In that case we are doomed. When 6 player tiny arena pong costs 2 million to develop then the game dev bubble has got to be getting close to bursting.

Remember the team is based in California where your dollar travels far less than say, to take an extreme example, CD Project Red who are based in Poland - or pretty much anywhere in China. There are so many overheads which are only attributable to the economics of your location.

Money shmoney, this game is amazing. When are we going to arrange a few B3D private matches? I already play quite regularly with cj020. Would be good to dunk on a few more of you. :)

Thread title needs an update now that is available on X1. I need to pick this up as well.
Is the game mp only?
Seems so. Zman0404 been playing it all day.He's got a video clip or so of him scoring. Looks pretty fun.
I figured we should join him but I've been stuck trying to learn Cammy all day long.

She really needs work. No overhead, and her jumping attacks all suck. Cannon strike doesn't count as a jumping attack so it can be blocked crouch. Really hurts her game IMO. But we'll continue that discussion in the SFV thread

In that case we are doomed. When 6 player tiny arena pong costs 2 million to develop then the game dev bubble has got to be getting close to bursting.

That's paying 20 people $50K for two years. No i
Thread title needs an update now that is available on X1. I need to pick this up as well.
Is the game mp only?

I think you can play against bots. Pretty sure that was an option on the main menu. Also believe it had split screen. I'll check when I get home, but google should be able to help you out.

The controls are very simple. It's one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" games. Not sure how good the match making is. It does have some kind of skill-based ranking and match-making system. If you play non-competitive, it'll fill in missing players with bots if people drop and stuff like that.

It has bot matches which are fully customizable with mutators such as infinite boost, ball bounciness, gravity and a load more. Also has a league mode where you play with and vs bots. The meat of the game for me is online, but the bots will give you a good match until you've put quite a lot of hours in. You can also play 'coop' with people and bots in any configuration you please.

The match making is by and large excellent, but it's quality could suffer if not enough people grab the game for the xbone. Very sad to see no cross-platform play there.

It supports up to four player split-screen. You may be tempted when splitting between two players to change the default setting of side by side to top and bottom. Don't do this! You really need to see what's going on vertically.

A few of things new players always get stuck with or just don't know yet:
  • Have ball cam on all of the time before experimenting with when to turn it off. Start with when you are grabbing corner boost.
  • Getting boost is often more important than hitting the ball. Try to always grab a big boost (corners and midfield edges) when you can. Don't forget to use it!
  • Your car has a top speed. When reaching it you will hear a sonic boom. No point boosting after this you won't go any faster, just drain your reserves.
  • Forward rolling while accelerating is an excellent way to go even faster without using boost.

Last tidbit of advice. Change the default controller bindings. When you get a bit better you will end up wanting your right thumb to be pressing some combination of three buttons at once. Put boost on R1 and air roll + slide on L1, and use your middle fingers for the triggers. You won't notice the difference while you're new but once you start doing more advanced moves they become a lot easier. I also found it reduced the RSI I was getting from long play sessions.

Last edited:
Last tidbit of advice. Change the default controller bindings. When you get a bit better you will end up wanting your right thumb to be pressing some combination of three buttons at once. Put boost on R1 and air roll + slide on L1, and use your middle fingers for the triggers. You won't notice the difference while you're new but once you start doing more advanced moves they become a lot easier.

Thanks for the tip. Makes sense.

In that case we are doomed. When 6 player tiny arena pong costs 2 million to develop

Tiny Arena Pong...except with graphics that would have been inconceivable even 15 years ago (art costs are the main costs of games). As well as complex netcode etc.

I added a couple more tips to my previous post. I really should stop the gratuitous editing. :)

Are you able to do social private matches. I wouldn't mind a friendly B3D match.
I'll download this tonight. sigh----Sunset Overdrive put on the back burner again.

Yes you can do that easily. Presuming the menu is the same it's Play Online > Create Private Match. You don't host it yourself, it's on their servers.

Yes you can do that easily. Presuming the menu is the same it's Play Online > Create Private Match. You don't host it yourself, it's on their servers.

Thanks. Sounds like it'll be pretty easy to create a social private match then.

I am not good at this game. For whatever reason, I have a hard time judging the height of the ball. Always end up jumping at the wrong time and go underneath the ball.

No new players are good at the game. Thankfully though progress is quick if you play regularly. Before you know it you'll be doing stuff you thought you'd never be able to do.

The skill levels of your opponents might be a little off on xbox at the moment due to experienced players from other platforms playing. Give the match making rating a bit of time to adjust them upwards. You should usually find yourself against people who have the same problems.

The free play mode is really good for getting a good feel of the physics. You can play it while you're queuing for a game. It's well worth doing even if you only get 30 seconds of punting the ball around. Going in to a game cold makes it harder, no matter your skill level.

I also played this co-op against the computer with my son. Also a nice way to get used to the game.

I've played around with the camera a bit. Increased the fov to 100, but I'm playing around with the camera distance to see how that affects my ability to line up the ball. Having a lot of fun playing, depsite how shitty I can be.

Back