HOME development Q&A

That was exactly how I understood you the first time ... ;)

I take the content streaming to mean 'somethig that'll happen a long time off.' In the UK, most people's upload speed is very low, so they can't host content. And Sony don't really want people sending CD quality audio and BRD quality video to people who haven't paid for it. Sharing music digitally and openly? That'd be a first for the industry! Especially if you don't have to be present for people to go to your apartment and share your content.

How the media sharing will work is a good question. There will likely be some hard limits as to what quality and to how many people you can share your private media. One PS3 broadcasting 3-4 64 kb
mp3 audio streams isn't too much for most broadband connections, but you go much higher and you'll start seeing problems. Some intelligent daisy-chaining my be possible so that the primary server sends out a few streams and then those 4 clients rebroadcast to others. Streaming HD video from your private collection just isn't really viable given current rates, but in five years when we're all riding fiber we can revisit the situation.

I think the public media isn't as big a problem. For things like HD trailers for movies and games or music samples or game demos, it's pretty easy to make those publishers and studios responsible for hosting the media. I mean we don't ask how Mozilla is able to effectively host all the video we access through Firefox because that's not how it works. Home should be able to integrate with media hosted on pretty much any public http server. All these media companies want to promote their stuff so they can pay for the bandwidth needed to get it to Home users.

For big events there could be a logistics problem. Sony could arrange to preload stuff in the background that they expect large demand for. That way when the new trailer for Spiderman 4 or FFXIV goes live the servers don't freak out since most people have an encrypted copy playing from their hard drive and not over the network.

For big events there could be a logistics problem. Sony could arrange to preload stuff in the background that they expect large demand for. That way when the new trailer for Spiderman 4 or FFXIV goes live the servers don't freak out since most people have an encrypted copy playing from their hard drive and not over the network.

There are 3rd party content distribution networks that Sony can subscribe to for bursty (streaming/download) traffic like this.

Back