Rock Band & Guitar Hero Games

I'm in no hurry, but I'm happy this demo is here - at least I can now play that already with singing and guitar or bass (the new bass thing where you just hit the strum bar is neat, by the way, I tried expert on Livin'on a prayer, not too hard).

There's maybe a few songs out of the entire list that will make your brain hurt a little from the open note, especially once you start getting lots of purple HOPOs. :p

The vocals engine seems very unforgiving compared to RB, which may or may not be a good thing. ;) I still fail the star power tutorial for vocals :oops: (Doooo Siiii Do... :LOL: )

Also the refresh rate on PS3 seems improved. First song I played (I think also bon jovi, was quite easy) on guitar-hard got me 99% with only two notes missed out of 414. However easy songs were in GH3, I don't think I ever got that high a percentage of notes right.

It seems they've toned down the difficulty a bit in general, but there are some that can be downright ridiculous without the touch strip in the new guitar. On the other hand, it might be considered "difficult" in that the amount of cash you get at the end is based more on holding a note streak. Simply passing the song or even hitting a high note percentage does not confer much in-game cash.

I was looking because if I don't buy a drumkit now I want to know what my options are later, since right now I can't buy the drumkit separately and if I can buy some regular midi kit instead that wouldn't be bad either.

I've been holding off on the drums as well... I really want to get the GH:WT set because of the extra note (the way WT is meant to be played), but perhaps I've been jaded about new hardware production and manufacturing issues and decided to wait; there appeared to be some issues with the drum pads and poor soldering in the initial batch too, but I imagine they fixed that by now.

The other thing holding me back (besides the lack of a drum-only SKU) is that the step pedal only has grip pads on the bottom versus the bar attachment ala RB drums. I get the impression that doesn't work well on a carpeted surface, which is where I'd be playing 100% of the time. :p

*sigh* I may have to wait for v2.0, when they get it right. Or maybe Harmonix will have official support for an extra note sometime (I don't have RB drums either). The disparity in hardware features is annoying. :|

For the first time I tried singing. Failed Roxanne on Easy. sigh :( I'm actually worse at the game than in real life. That's the real depressing part!

Does anyone know what the "Solus" version of Rock Band is? The PS3 version is extremely cheap at CD-Wow for Aussies at the mo (though it looks like they've dropped the 360 version)... I assume it's just the game, but there's also disc-only versions for sale for higher prices.

I just picked up GH3 for reasonably cheap and it's easier than I expected - on medium. I didn't bother with GH2 on hard since I'm pinky-challenged, but I aced every song on my first try - maybe I'll cry when I try some of the harder stuff. Oh, and not having the co-op songs unlocked without two players is terrible - especially since some of the best songs in the game (Sabotage, RHCP, etc) are in the limited list. Oh well.

I returned my GHWT guitar only set and got the full band set for $139. I only played it a few times after opening it yesterday. I also sent out for the free cables from Activision website to adjust the sensitivity...I think my red pad doesn't always register.

The drums seem to be a lot more fun to play than rock band 2, the cymbals definitely add something to the experience. Only problem is my calves and shins start to hurt after only 2-3 songs.

I'm playing the career mode to unlock the songs. I'm around 4 gigs in so far.
BTW, I play it on carpet with no problems.

Alstrong,

How does the touch strip work on GHWT? Right now I'm using my RB2 guitar and I don't have to strum during the touch strip sequences which is good since they're waaaay to fast. Anyway to change the color on the touch strip sequences? the purple really makes it hard to see things.

Also, what level of Hyperspeed is equivalent to Breakneck speed in Rock Band 2?

How does the touch strip work on GHWT? Right now I'm using my RB2 guitar and I don't have to strum during the touch strip sequences which is good since they're waaaay to fast.

As far as I know, it just makes the sequence even easier as there are a few songs that have way more ridiculous sequences on expert (I've heard of even really awesome expert players being frustrated without the strip for a couple songs). The touch strip follows the purple line rather than the notes per se.

I'm not sure if it's worth it for that alone if you already have two guitars. It would make a good replacement though.

Anyway to change the color on the touch strip sequences? the purple really makes it hard to see things.
I don't believe so... The options for colour change (gotta input codes, not considered cheats) aren't that extensive and some can look pretty bad.

Also, what level of Hyperspeed is equivalent to Breakneck speed in Rock Band 2?
Not sure as I haven't done any testing... would be an interesting investigation.

I tried the demo again, and this time I fetched my microphone stand from the shelf so I could do both singing and guitar playing. I managed the same three songs on Medium with decent scores (95% guitar, 80% singing), which isn't bad I think (I played in a band for a small year and I remember how hard it was playing an instrument and singing at the same time - you had to be able to at least do one of the two nearly without thinking). It was a lot of fun! Then I tried it on Hard and actually recorded myself with a camera - I look like a complete dork (dressed in my finest stay-at-home garb and glasses ;)), but I don't care, it was still awesome. ;) I might even post a youtube here just to show I have no shame. ;)

EDIT: still uploading and I'm going to bed, but you can find me on youtube as Arwin14. Don't expect anything fancy though, I'm just having a go and a laugh. ;)

EDIT2: my wife browsed away from the youtube page last night, but it's up now: :D

I'll laugh in advance...
I can't even ponder how brave of you to do that.

For New Years we had a Rock Band 1/2 entertainment for the party with my co-workers.

One of the guys will never live it down as the wife stealthily recorded some of it and had me bring them to work. We now call him Filipino Bon Jovi or William Hung. We play it at least once a day when we need a good laugh:)

The drum kit on GH:WT is much better than RB's (I haven't seen RB2's though someone told me that they are pretty much the same with RB's save the wireless connection). Even playing RB/RB2 songs with GH:WT's drum kit is a better experience.. I wish Harmonix mapped the blue/green cymbal notes to orange cymbal of GH:WT's drums, but hey I think I can live w/o it.

I saw one comment amount grip pads under the pedal: It works pretty well in carpetted surfaces.. I have never had problem.. In fact, I am not sure if it sticks well in non-carpetted surfaces..

The red pad registiration problem also exists in my set. But, interestingly, it only happens when I hit one of the other large pads (green or blue) at the same time. If I use it with the cymbals, there has never been a registration problem. I have not tested the cable, but I have already heard success stories. So, it is not a biggie..

GH:WT guitar is also excellent.. The size does makes difference.. It is only slightly better than the GH3 guitar, which is way better than RB's. Again, I have not tried RB2's, but my expectations unfrtunately is pretty low from Harmonix in hardware department.

I still wished that harmonix and red octane were not get parted. One knows how to design the software and the other knows how to do the hardware.. Though, I should not complain that much as at least we have cross-compatibilty :)

Do we have a Beyond3d band? Isn't it time to form one? :)

I'd volunteer my humble skills to it for the X360.

For my taste, I prefer the Rock Band 2 guitar over GHWT. The button placements and lack of "clicks" in them. I haven't really tried to use the touch strip yet though.

I saw one comment amount grip pads under the pedal: It works pretty well in carpetted surfaces.. I have never had problem.. In fact, I am not sure if it sticks well in non-carpetted surfaces..

Guess I'll wait for the drum SKU. Thanks for commenting. :)

Anyone up for some RB2 or WT in the next 40 hours? :p I'm in the -7:00 GMT zone (mountain time) btw.

Question about exporting songs from RB1 to RB2. I just bought RB2 SE for PS3 ($142CAD at amazon.ca :D) and I'm planning on exporting songs from RB1 with the export key. Now if I do this and for whatever reason my PS3 dies, are the songs copyrighted or anything so that they won't work if I restore them to my replacement PS3?

This may sound like I'm looking too far ahead, but I'm just trying to decide if I should just buy RB1 or rent it. It goes on ebay for ~10 bucks anyway.

Thanks.

I just got it today. I have my PS3 hooked up to my receiver via HDMI, I have my PS3 set to PCM and I checked all the available formats, but RB2 only outputs STEREO. All other games output 5.1/7.1 PCM. I guess this has been a bug ever since RB1, so it doesn't look like they'll fix it anytime soon. =\

Back