Rock Band & Guitar Hero Games

Yeah, but the game is made by real musicians, and real musicians know surround is a silly fad, and only buy analog amplifiers. In fact, Rockstar recommends that you hook up via the PS3 included component cables to get the full AAA experience.

/sarcasm

;)

(Still haven't bought either game, but I think it's cool that GH:WT had such a big demo, so I could at least test it with the Singstar Mic and the GH3 guitar!)

EDIT: you'll have to forgive me, I have recently had some discussions about stereo amps vs dolby amps, tube amps, etc. ;)

I don't think you'd be missing much from the lack of surround as the LS/RS channels appear to only be used for the crowd or other effects; I sure don't notice music coming from them as much, but maybe they are just going with where you, the crowd, are placed relative to the stage being displayed on-screen.

I have GHIII and yeah, the surrounds are only used for the crowd etc. But I like that effect. :D

I think I read somewhere that if you deselect the 7.1 formats in the PS3 options, dolby digital works. Haven't tried this yet, but I guess I don't really care anymore.

Questions about RB1/RB2 and DLC/Game sharing

Here's my situation - I bought RB2 SE and bought a bunch of songs. My sister just bought GH:WT (w/band kit) but doesn't like many of the songs (on disc, and the DLC) but she likes a lot of songs from RB2 (mainly from the music store). Can my sister just buy RB1 and download all the songs I got for RB2? In the music store/PStore, it just says "Rock Band" under DLC. She doesn't like many of the on disc songs for RB2 either. And if she gets RB1, I can export the songs to my RB2, so it's a win win for both of us. :smile:

edit: I think the answer is yes, any 'Rock Band' DLC will work for either game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup the DLC will work in both games. Some have slight changes, namely the addition of chord hammer-ons/pull-offs; I usually strum those anyway. :p I can't tell if there were any other changes though.

Thanks.

edit: I totally didn't know about the PO/HO's. :oops:
So after a bit of googling, DLC on RB1 won't show the PO/HO's, but RB2 will?

Now that I've got a chance to play both RB2 and GH WT, RB2 is hands down the better game overall IMO. Now that I've exported the RB1 songs, my library is huge. Plus I prefer the RB interface/gameplay over GH.
I like the fact that the GH WT drum set has cymbals included, and I think the pads are a little better due to the fact that the edges are rubber instead of plastic, but the pedal for the kick pad feels really cheap. I also hate how the pedal in WT is purple. Once I get some of the madcatz cymbals for the RB set, I think I'll be more than happy with them.

So overall, I'm really glad I picked up RB2 instead of GH WT. There are a handful of songs I like in WT that aren't on RB1/2, but now my sister has it, so I can just borrow it if I want. She mainly likes RB for the singing (she loves karaoke games) and again, most of the songs she likes were downloaded, so now that she has RB1, she can just download all the songs we bought for RB2 and she doesn't have to spend 60+ for it.

I wonder if RB2 will work with the same export key purchased for RB1 once RB3 comes out. I think in the description, all it says is the key is to export songs for 'future' rock band games.

Have you tried any of them? I didn't think they'd be much fun either, but now I think they're one of the funnest games I've played, especially drumming in RB. :D

Have you tried any of them? I didn't think they'd be much fun either, but now I think they're one of the funnest games I've played, especially drumming in RB. :D

I have, I think a lot of the fun stems from the fact that you rapidly pressing buttons with music playing in the background.

So does anyone actually like these rock music themed games of 'Simon says'?

Sales would say yes. I used to knock them all the time until I actually had a proper session and got hooked.

You can dumb down any game to simply "pressing buttons" but as usual, there's more depth to it. The timing, rhythm and techniques required for high level play need to be learned and take a long time to master, just as with any other genre. It's not for everybody but for many of us, it's a lot of fun and gives a well orchestrated illusion of playing along with your favorite song. Not only that, you can choose which part of the band you wish you mimic so there's certainly variety to it. Playing the same game on guitar/drums/vocals is a very different experience. At the end of the day it is a game afterall so one shouldn't expect anything more than simply having fun.

The aforementioned illusion seems to greatly differentiate between GH and RB games for me. I feel the charting in RB games flows much better and in rhythm than the GH charts. GH games seem to often overchart and make the charts frantic to appease to the younger crowd you wants to constantly play the hardest and fastest song so they can be the first to put up a you tube video of them getting a high score on it. The overall laid back and softer presentation of RB games wins me over everytime vs. the in your face, rock or DIE!, heavy metal push they GH games seem hell bent on sticking with. Again, likely to appease the said younger crowd.

They are hugely popular games for sure, but so is the Wii and reality TV.

Now GH and RB are 'fun', but there is this underying impression that it all just seems like a well marketed illusion, that is eagerly lapped up by wanna-be rockstars.

I also agree with the musicians, in that to me it just seems silly that so many people spend hundreds of hours trying to master the game, when with a little more effort they could play real guitar.

Personally if I was to play a high score based game I would prefer to play something like Geometry Wars, which is similarily (if not more) intense and also requires split-second reactions but does not rely on sheer repetition, and instead presents a dynamic challenge.

I also agree with the musicians, in that to me it just seems silly that so many people spend hundreds of hours trying to master the game, when with a little more effort they could play real guitar.

By the same token, you can go out and shoot a real gun or do trackdays in a high performance car but perhaps it's not everyone's cup of tea. Many of us find these games to be fun with minimal overhead. You don't have to learn music, get lessons, sit alone slowly building up and waiting ages to finally play your favorite song at a decent level. With RB you can start off on Easy and play your favorite songs right away. The game will fill in the missing notes and hold your hand as you progress thus making it inviting and not intimidating. You can also switch between 4 diff aspects of bandplay (Guitar/Bass/Drums/Vocals) at will, on any song. On top of that, you're still missing out on the social aspects of these games that make them popular. I play a fair bit with a B3D member and we have a blast everytime and we're able to do this while being great distances apart (geographically). Other times, it's with IRL friends and associates. Again, everyone can pick up an instrument, play at a level they're competent at and game will blend it all together. Both aspects extremely difficult, if not impossible, to pull off with real life instruments. Hop on Xbox Live you'd might be surprised just how many players who play these games also play real life instruments. It's not just all "Johnny Rocker WannaBe" strereotype that seems have caught on with those not fond of the genre.

Personally if I was to play a high score based game I would prefer to play something like Geometry Wars, which is similarily (if not more) intense and also requires split-second reactions but does not rely on sheer repetition, and instead presents a dynamic challenge.

I'd agree with you on sheer repetition if that was the case. Sure, if you pick only one song and play it only for ages and it'll certainly fit your label. However, with a plethora of charts, all with various combinations and timing amongst various instruments, it's a bit silly to use that term. Let's not forget playing these songs IRL would also have you subjected to the same repetition within the song. After all, a chart is a chart.

They are hugely popular games for sure, but so is the Wii and reality TV.

Now GH and RB are 'fun', but there is this underying impression that it all just seems like a well marketed illusion, that is eagerly lapped up by wanna-be rockstars.

You can find an example of this for every game. The irony is that playing is an evolutionary thing that has helped us practice skills we need for survival.

As a musician, I can say that the the difference between the game and the real thing, is that the game gives me feedback about whether or not I'm playing well. Sure, the fingering, both left and right, for most music styles is more limited when using the toy guitar, but not that much.

Taking that to the other instruments, drumming is ridiculously close to the real thing, as is singing. Not to mention combining singing with one of the other instruments! (see my youtube ;) ).

You do realise that some musicians like improv while others stick to a fixed pattern too, right? ;) You've got faithful cover bands, radio hit artists, Frank Zappa solos, jazz artists, etc.;)

Thanks.

I just got it today. I have my PS3 hooked up to my receiver via HDMI, I have my PS3 set to PCM and I checked all the available formats, but RB2 only outputs STEREO. All other games output 5.1/7.1 PCM. I guess this has been a bug ever since RB1, so it doesn't look like they'll fix it anytime soon. =\
After ~2 weeks of owning the game, I finally went into the options menu, and there's a check box for Dolby Digital, and thank god there's an option to turn on overscan (the border was bugging me). I also saw a Bass Boost option. Haven't got to try this yet as it's late. For those of you with a subwoofer, should you enable this, or is it a personal preference thing?

edit: I guess enabling Dolby Digital in the options menu introduces lag. After calibrations, my lag went from ~35ms for audio to ~55ms.

Is there a patch in RB1 to enable support for the WT drum set? According to the joystiq compatibility matrix, they're supposed to work, and based on that matrix, I told my sister to buy RB1 instead of RB2. But she told me today that they didn't work.
I haven't asked her if she got the latest patch for RB1 because its 2:30am, but it's possible.

s***, I read the matrix wrong (unless they updated it)... Harmonix only patched the 360 version or RB1 to include support for the WT drums, but not the PS3 version. Wtf... my respect for HMX dropped big time, especially since there's a 76 page thread on the rock band boards and still no patch. :devilish:

I guess I'm one of the few who prefer the GH games over RB games.

I don't particularly care for the "bars" showing the notes, nor "overdrive" sequence muting the colors and creating a small section of the screen that hides the bars. I preferred the character creation scheme in GH:WT far above what RB has and like the fact that you can see your top score on songs you completed with GH over what is seen on RB.

I also find the note charting in GH to be superior to that of RB because although GH can be more complicated/harder the charting makes sense to the notes being played/heard.

The vocal section of GH in my opinion is superior as its easier to see where your pitch is in comparison to RB. The Drums on WT with the cymbals is far more accurate and the note charting of RB again show's how watered down it is.

I really felt that RB2 was left stagnant compared to the advances GH:WT did over GH:3 + Aerosmith. I'm still baffled that people believe the band interaction on RB2 is that superior over GH:WT, playing Paramore shows just how much more the singer is animated in comparison to RB. If RB3 takes the same small strides RB2 did over the original RB then I don't see how people can still be that loyal to the franchise.

I have a theory on why many people prefer RB over GH games and its not to cast judgment but...

I think many people who like RB are probably the majority of people who picked on GH players and only tried this type of game because it allowed them to play with others, making them feel less "silly" if they did badly. Probably the same people who don't want to be "good" at the game, just "good enough" to have fun when friends come over. They either want to sing (but didn't want to admit to wanting to play a karaoke game), prefer Drums over guitars (because its almost real) or simply feel RB is less intimidating then GH/GH:WT.

I actually prefer the set list on GH:WT over that of RB2, however RB1+2 do offer much more DLC content and that is a major factor in why people like the RB franchise....however...DLC/Setlist aside I think the better platform is GH.

This is just my opinion and I don't mind being in the minority, either right or wrong.

Back