Capcom copying other games, etc, for Resident Evil...

Roger Cobb

Regular
I will not make anything italic as I cannot be bothered. Plus, the Samsung keyboard on my phone is just ass.

:(

Anyway, here's all the stuff I seen Capcom essentially ripping off.

:p

Gears of War was copied for RE6. Same idea of platoon, choppers, playing in a park on the shoot, giant ogres, and the same looking courtyards and buildings.

Revelations 2 was blatantly ripping off the gameplay of The Last of Us.

Same crafting items. Similar enemies. A dam. An area with toxic fumes. A winter section with you hunting rabbits. A work bench. Old man. Immune child.

Then RE8 in the Shadows of Rose DLC (which was boring as hell), copied the house from P.T. and had mannequins and static, so they tried to copy the nurses you meet in the Silent Hill games, and they even walk the same way. Also, Rosemary was reborn, just like Heather was. And they also heavily copied from RE4, as it's just so obvious.

RE7 copies Evil Dead, Saw, The Ring and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Even RE1 kind of took ideas from the original Alone in the Dark with the thing coming through the window.

Yeah. That's just shoddily prepared plagiarism. :)

Most games are incredibly derivative if you ever take note. All the guys you claim to have been copied by capcom did themselves copy other devs before, including capcom.

Seriously, every third person over the shoulder game owns the origin of that style mechanics largely to RE4, so there it goes...

Last edited:
I know other companies are probably guilty of doing it too, but I honestly think giving the close release dates of these titles (which was just a mere 2 to 3 years), Capcom were blatantly up to no good.

To be honest, I think people are divided into three eras with this franchise now, which only adds to the confusion overall. Old school gamers may have started back in 1996 when the survival horror boom kicked off. Others got into the series with RE4, which I feel ruined the original formula, despite otherwise being a lot of fun. And of course, there's the RE Engine era from 2017 up to the present-day with the remakes and first person games.

I don't find RE scary at all anymore. It's actually very corny and hard to understand today, due to the plot not making sense like the earlier games did to a bigger extent. But it is still interesting to see what occurs. Although I just think Capcom kind of started to get desperate with their ideas.

I think RE6 is sometimes unfairly hated. It's the only one in the "action trilogy" that has a story about a virus, and zombies are in some sections. I honestly think it had that RE something to it, despite not being particularly terrifying. But the QTE after QTE parts were mind numbingly irritating, like when you had to mash buttons to land a plane, or run from a burning line of vehicles, and the tutorial cannot be skipped. However, I liked how you were able to now move and shoot.

So, yeah. While it wasn't that great, I think it's a cool co-op game.

Seriously, every third person over the sholder game owns the origin of that style mechalicas largely to RE4, so there it goes...

Which itself owes its 3rd person over the shoulder style mechanics to even older games. There were games in the 90's doing that sort of thing. At least on PC and I'd be surprised if the console space didn't also have games in the 90's doing over the shoulder action/shooter mechanics.

It's pretty difficult (almost impossible) to come up with a truly new and novel way to do something in video games now.

Regards,
SB

Let me add this one: Demon's souls heavily borrowed from Shadow Man in which:

- You have to earn Souls (some of them from killing monsters). Souls give you more power.
- The world is a maze of interconnected areas with shortcuts and backtracking necessary
- You need to explore the big environments to find secrets and advance in the game
- One big notable building (here asylum tower) is seen from others levels that are far away
- When you die you continue your journey in a death state
- Very dark and mature game
- Enemies respawn when you restart a level
- Some friendly NPCs (well I think only 2 but still) are always there to help you in your adventure including a girl that grant you powers and the death state.

I think The Last of Us and Bend Studio's Days Gone are similar, and the latter is significantly longer. But nobody really admits to that. I was absolutely impressed with the stunning graphics, gameplay and the AI. So it's sad how Sony doesn't feel obligated to work on a sequel.

The enemies are very alike. Gangs are patrolling areas, ready to pounce. You find items to make new, way more useful items. Yet people still dismissed it.

I think some people put games on a pedestal, and others in the bargain bin.

I think RE6 is sometimes unfairly hated. It's the only one in the "action trilogy" that has a story about a virus, and zombies are in some sections. I honestly think it had that RE something to it, despite not being particularly terrifying. But the QTE after QTE parts were mind numbingly irritating, like when you had to mash buttons to land a plane, or run from a burning line of vehicles, and the tutorial cannot be skipped. However, I liked how you were able to now move and shoot.

So, yeah. While it wasn't that great, I think it's a cool co-op game.
I didnt like anything about 6 personally.

My opinion only changed once 7 and 8 took the franchise to a meaningless place.

The Ethan dude you play as doesn't even reflect in a mirror. I don't know why people at Capcom assumed that was a fabulous concept.

Chris also got a terrible redesign in 7, making him look so much younger. Also, the storyline barely feels linked to the series until he just suddenly flies in near the end.

I didnt play Village, but I liked 7. It was weird how the "virus" evolved in 7. It was a completely new game but it was really intense and less action packed than 4 onwards.
It played like a survival horror game.

In 8, you find out Spencer was taught by Miranda. Her mould research was intended to revive her kid who had died because of the Spanish flu, so this leads to the power mad stuff in the franchise with villains being obsessed with virology. But the werewolves and vampires concept was just way too dumb.

One thing I don't understand about RE is that if cities now know about zombies and so on, how come they just go through each day doing normal stuff? Why isn't there more guards to watch over the area, or something?

I think a lot of aspects to the franchise doesn't make sense, and it's due to Capcom just milking it. By now, nobody should be surprised to see monsters running amok. But a big reason as to why it's not really a scary franchise now, is because every mainline character is too strong and cunning.

Back