Rock Band & Guitar Hero Games

I'm starting to wonder if both studios have shot themselves in the foot!

It's not the end of the world for them by any means but their sales for their latest releases haven't done nearly as good as they used to.

I'll be the first to chaulk this up to DLC, yes you heard me..DLC! These guys have to ask themselves one basic question. Would someone buy RockBand: Def Leapard for $60 if they could download much more through DLC for the same price?

It used to be if you wanted new songs to play you almost had to buy the new game, now however DLC allows you to keep your old game and download new songs whenever your bored with the ones in your current setlist. In fact RB has more songs available in DLC then they do with all of their releases combined!

IMHO they need to decide what they want to do in the future because their current model of trying to sell both isn't going to work without some much needed periphials to push it along.

A little over a year later and it seems I was correct.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6298334.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1

Just under two years ago, the Guitar Hero franchise was riding high, having racked up over $2 billion in sales from its various installments. However, the intervening period has seen its fortunes fall, with sales plummeting to the point that the latest installment in the series, Warriors of Rock, sold fewer than 100,000 copies during its debut month last September

When you're selling a game that the goal is to play songs as best you can how do you expect to sell newer versions of that game when the content intself you're selling to potential customers and it's inexpensive. This was a failed buisness model more then anything eles, could you imagine if COD just relseased new maps all the time for next to nothing? A lot of people would have to really consider if it was worth buying a new game with minimal updates or just downloading new maps all the time.

Yeah, but RB3 doesn't sell that well either and that is full of new features. I love it though, bought a new drumkit with cymbals.

Tuna,

Yeah I think the whole buisness model of selling DLC is what has pretty much killed GH and is now starting to hurt RB. If your current periphials work, they work on newer songs and you can purchase 100's of different songs from DLC why would anyone want to upgrade or buy a new version of the game?

Since the core principle of the game was to try and beat songs that were played you can't do too much to make the experience that much better. In fact the only thing that is marketable about the newer games is the addition of new songs. Once DLC was available so people could download songs as they saw fit the whole profitablity went out the window.

Greed is what killed this franchise, releasing so many titles and then offering all of that DLC, special versions of the game for specific bands etc etc.

Still can't find those damn expansion cymbals up here in Canada. :(

Where's my Metallica and The Killers DLC. :3

Tuna,

Yeah I think the whole buisness model of selling DLC is what has pretty much killed GH and is now starting to hurt RB. If your current periphials work, they work on newer songs and you can purchase 100's of different songs from DLC why would anyone want to upgrade or buy a new version of the game?

Since the core principle of the game was to try and beat songs that were played you can't do too much to make the experience that much better. In fact the only thing that is marketable about the newer games is the addition of new songs. Once DLC was available so people could download songs as they saw fit the whole profitablity went out the window.

Greed is what killed this franchise, releasing so many titles and then offering all of that DLC, special versions of the game for specific bands etc etc.

Eh, RB3 offers a shitload of new features. And new RB DLC only works on RB3.

Also, I think that once people reach the plateau they do not really like the game any more. To become better after that take some commitment and that is not something most people think is fun.

Also, I would really like some non-english songs, but I also realise that there are not enough people who would purchase tracks performed by the likes of Kent, Hamasaki Ayumi Marit Bergman for it to be profitable. But I can dream!! ('Love Generation' would be a perfect RB track!)

I hope this means that Rockband 3 will stay a long time yet. Paradise by the Dashboard Light was one of the new releases this week, should be a classic for most (I have almost heard it too often, but I may get it just because drumming to it somehow appeals to me a tonne)

Yeah, it seems like it'll be around for awhile. I don't imagine they're in a rush to put out a new game considering they're independent now.

I wish I could cache a preview for all the new DLC songs of the week. I'm by no means an expert on music bands or titles, but it'd be pretty handy instead of doing it individually song-by-song and selecting "preview". This would especially be helpful for RBN because there's a bigger chance I have never heard of the band/music.

Yeah, it seems like it'll be around for awhile. I don't imagine they're in a rush to put out a new game considering they're independent now.

I wish I could cache a preview for all the new DLC songs of the week. I'm by no means an expert on music bands or titles, but it'd be pretty handy instead of doing it individually song-by-song and selecting "preview". This would especially be helpful for RBN because there's a bigger chance I have never heard of the band/music.

Yeah, perhaps they could expand the thing they already have now where they intersperse your song collection with a handful recommended (usually new) songs to optionally include all new DLC for that week instead, or something like that.

EDIT: ha ha ha

Been playing this again - wanted to drum first, but then realised that yesterday a visiting kid pulled the cable from the plug of one of the cymbals that I'll have to (re)solder again now, so decided to try some guitar instead, and went for some more Pro Guitar punishment. Fortunately things are starting to click more and more here and I've been able to work through the remainder of the warm-up songs on Hard straight away, although I did retry a few songs when I didn't at least get 3 stars (or simply enjoyed them). This is starting to look promising. It takes a while, but I'm getting there, and while it is in some ways harder than playing a real electric guitar, it does really teach you to play well, which is awesome.

Rock Band 3 is a superb game. That, Gran Turismo 5 (which 80% of my friends list seems to be playing most of the time) and Little Big Planet 2, and maybe some Killzone 3 for online (but I don't get around to playing online yet much of anything, will need a second PS3 in the study for that) is stuff that simply lasts you a year. I don't really need to buy any other games for a long time ... (although I'll probably not be able to help myself)

Back